Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Zeller

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    It was a big disappointment to see Zeller go down early in the season. I only saw those first two games, but he was very impressive for a freshman. He did everything much better than I expected from him. He will improve the team.

    IMO, he's not a 4 year guy, probably 3, and maybe gone after next season. He looked that good at 7 ft. to me, mainly because he seemed much more ready offensively than other big freshmen we've seen lately that went after one..Ed Davis=NBA talent not ready offensively. Think B. Wright who still went after one.
    One and done M. Williams was more comparable to Zeller offensively. MW stronger, Zeller smoother.

    Zeller looked more polished with the ball than all three were/are as freshman in the early games I saw.

    He has NBA skillz and size, no doubt. The obvious question is when he makes the jump? Since RW has repeatedly said it's his call, TZ thinks he's not a 4 year guy if he plays.

    If UNC gets matched up with a big three in the tourney,(Pitt,Ok,UCONN) he will be very valuable. UNC would need to play very aggressive in the post and possibly need those 5 fouls.

    The way UNC plays there is plenty of time for all. I've seen no "chemistry' issues with the team, no matter how bad you guys wish it so

    They did get after Deon to play harder for a while there, but that was competitive stuff. Deon's quotes regarding Zeller returning seem genuine and positive.

    RW runs his players hard in practice and the wrist didn't stop that. TZ is in shape I'm sure.

    An interesting development to the season.
    This is an interesting development and does make UNC that much more imposing. Zeller is a major talent even if he is inexperienced and possibly out of shape. Though it's not like he's going to have to log major minutes. Chemistry issues are nothing but wishful thinking on this board.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC

    NBA

    I wonder if it's in his head that there's a chance he could jump to the NBA after THIS season, and therefore now is the optimum time for him to come back? I know it sounds far-fetched, but stranger things have happened. The team is poised to make a deep tournament run, which is the best exposure a player can have. Next year's team will also be good, but I can't imagine them being better than this year's. I'm always amazed when NBA teams draft a guy based on one or two good games in the tournament, ignoring his play from the entire season... but that seems to be the way it is. So really all he'd have to do is have a couple of big games in March and everyone will be saying that he's phenomenal, and that the reason he didn't do more is that he was injured and then playing behind Hansborough. He seems to have the physical tools and the potential, so I bet people would tell him he has the potential to be drafted. From this standpoint, it makes sense for him to come back right now.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    ... TZ thinks he's not a 4 year guy if he plays. ...
    This is key. In Ty's mind, he is not giving up anything, and he will likely play in the final four, and there is a good chance he could play for a national champion. It would be a lot sweeter being in uniform than not. If he redshirts, he would not really feel like he earned a championship ring.

    Frankly, having watched his brother play at ND, I never expected TZ to be an impact player. Based upon his play early this year, it is not unreasonable to see him going pro in a year or two. UNC is better with TZ available, and Roy is a good enough coach to take advantage of his return.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This is key. In Ty's mind, he is not giving up anything, and he will likely play in the final four, and there is a good chance he could play for a national champion. It would be a lot sweeter being in uniform than not. If he redshirts, he would not really feel like he earned a championship ring.

    Frankly, having watched his brother play at ND, I never expected TZ to be an impact player. Based upon his play early this year, it is not unreasonable to see him going pro in a year or two. UNC is better with TZ available, and Roy is a good enough coach to take advantage of his return.
    I agree that he doesn't think he's a four year guy, and from what little I've seen I'd agree. He's way more athletic and has a much better touch than I expected.

    It also should be mentioned that by all accounts he is a fantastic student and will graduate in four years. The idea of sticking around to play basketball after when you can get paid a lot of money to play basketball elsewhere probably is less appealing to someone with a degree than it might be to someone who is still a student. Old fashioned, I know.

  5. #25
    He's a very talented kid and I think that to assume he's going to be a four year player is unfounded.

    He's a 7 footer who can run the floor, play either the perimeter or the low post and is a good passer and shooter. If he stays four years, I think it will be because he decides he wants to, ala Tim Duncan, not because he wouldn't be drafted high.

    Having said all that, if I were Roy, I'd advise against coming back this season, but if he's set on it and is completely healthy, I'm fine with letting Tyler decide for himself.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I wonder if it's in his head that there's a chance he could jump to the NBA after THIS season, and therefore now is the optimum time for him to come back?
    Stranger things have happened, I guess. He would have to have some big games against some really good players to even consider it.
    If some NBA team threw enough money at him, and is willing to wait to be paid off, who knows?

    I really don't think he's thinking this year, just not staying all four.
    He has to know he needs to get stronger. He has only played two games since high school, after all.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Having said all that, if I were Roy, I'd advise against coming back this season, but if he's set on it and is completely healthy, I'm fine with letting Tyler decide for himself.
    I think 'ol Roy has handled this perfectly as a coach. You know he really wants him back, but for him to take the lead on that when there is a chance it could be a poor decision would not be wise.
    Leaving the decision to the kid and his family was the smart thing to do.
    Can you imagine RW telling him "you can't be a part of this team" when he really wanted to be?
    Or imagine RW saying "this might not be in your best interest as a player, but we need you to make a run at the NC".
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 02-18-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: sp
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I think 'ol Roy has handled this perfectly as a coach. You know he really wants him back, but for him to take the lead on that when there is a chance it could be a poor decision would not be wise.
    Leaving the decision to the kid and his family was the smart thing to do.
    Can you imagine RW telling him "you can't be a part of this team" when he really wanted to be?
    Or imagine RW saying "this might not be in your best interest as a player, but we need you to make a run at the NC".
    I recall this very thing happening with a player recently - wasn't that the situation with Frasor?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I recall this very thing happening with a player recently - wasn't that the situation with Frasor?
    Not sure of your question...wasn't Frasor's situation pretty cut and dried that he was out for the season?
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    After watching TZ tonight, it's pretty clear he's way behind mentally on the floor and looked rusty physically too.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I recall this very thing happening with a player recently - wasn't that the situation with Frasor?
    Oh, maybe you're thinking Ginyard. If that's the case, I think RW pulled the plug on him whether he wanted to play or not because he was definately not ready to return and was not likely to be this season.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  12. #32
    It happened in the 2005-2006 season with Villanova. They had their best team in years (Allen Ray, Randy Foye) and Curtis Sumpter blew out his knee in October. They had a legitimate shot to make a run at the final four with Sumpter... without Sumpter they were extremely guard-heavy. It was somewhat different for Sumpter because it was his senior year and he had a questionable future playing basketball. He ended up taking the medical redshirt and coming back to play his senior year with a much worse Villanova team.

    As a coach I think you have to advise the player to sit the year out but let him make the final decision. You can say Zeller isn't a 4-year player, but really we've only seen him play 2 games. Before the season started everyone was saying Plumlee was gonna start at center for Duke! A lot can change during a players freshman year. He's basically had one good game, and it was against an Ivy League team. As we have all seen, it's a lot different playing in the paint in the ACC than it is against lesser teams.

  13. #33
    I thought you guys were cleaning up the boards? Why is this rambling thread about a UNC player allowed when a good portion of constructive criticism of the Duke team is deleted all together?

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham

    Real simple

    I'll just echo the sentiment that if Zeller isn't going to stay 4 years in the first place (and it doesn't look like he will) then saving eligibility is really a non-issue. They have a chance to (and really should) win it all this year, so why not?

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I'll just echo the sentiment that if Zeller isn't going to stay 4 years in the first place (and it doesn't look like he will) then saving eligibility is really a non-issue. They have a chance to (and really should) win it all this year, so why not?
    Even if he was going to stay four years, I can see the "being part of a national champion" aspect as huge personal incentive. Who knows how often in the next 3-4 years Carolina will be considered one of the 2-3 favorites to win the title? If I was in his shoes, the chance to actually play in a final four or for a title team might be worth a full year of eligibility, even if I planned to stay on campus until I graduated.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post
    I thought you guys were cleaning up the boards? Why is this rambling thread about a UNC player allowed when a good portion of constructive criticism of the Duke team is deleted all together?
    Because even if its "rambling" its been civil and its been discussing something relevant to Duke/ACC bball. Posts have for the most part been moving the conversation along, even if the pace isn't too your liking


    (Not that I'm a mod, but I don't see what this would have to do with a crackdown on critical posts/posts that don't add anything to the discussion)

  17. #37
    This answers your question. I just saw Zeller appear in the Unc vs. NC State game.

Similar Threads

  1. Zeller Injures Wrist
    By BlueintheFace in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •