Ladies and Gentleman, The Big Ten

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290490356

Penn State wins an offensive thriller over Illinois 38-33!

...never would happen in the ACC nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post

Although 2 ACC teams resembled that for a half earlier this year when they slugged it out for a 19-14 halftime score.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Although 2 ACC teams resembled that for a half earlier this year when they slugged it out for a 19-14 halftime score.
    ... and do you recall the final score of that game?

One guy in double figures in that game. Talor Battle of PSU shot 3-11 and finished with 11 points!

Jay Bilas thinks some other Big10 teams play ugly basketball.

I really enjoy watching the contrast in styles when Northwestern and Michigan play other teams in the Big Ten or in nonconference games. But when they play each other, it can be like pulling teeth. The same would be true if either of those teams played Oregon State. The Princeton style and principles are really interesting, but it is hardly thrilling for 40 minutes. That said, some of the Big Ten games this year have been a lot worse.

... and do you recall the final score of that game?
    I most certainly do. That's why my statement included the words "for a half" because the game to which I am referring certainly resembled a Big Teneleven contest for the painful 1st 20 minutes and many folks in chat that day were playfully thinking that the "first team to 30 (or 35)" should be declared the winner.

When the two schools played in FB this last fall, the score was PSU 38 Illinois 24...not far off

That was hideous basketball. And this comes from someone who watches lots of Big Ten ball.

What's hilarious is that people up here claim it's tough defense. Really, it's bad offensive teams (ahem, Illini) holding the ball for 30 seconds, chucking the thing, then hoping to get an offensive board. The refs standing and watching teams hold and clutch and flop doesn't help much, either.

Strangely, the second Big Ten game tonight, OSU-Northwestern, was a highly entertaining game. Especially by Big Ten standards.

dukemsu

Wherever we end up being seeded, I really kind of hope (provided we get out of the first round) that we face a big ten team in the second round.

Illinois, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, maybe even Purdue again...

Illinois made every free throw they shot.

Unfortunately, they didn't shoot any.

Wherever we end up being seeded, I really kind of hope (provided we get out of the first round) that we face a big ten team in the second round.

I would just as soon avoid Ohio State in the second round. They are a talented group, despite their gag job tonight, have a monster young 7 footer in Mullens, and the presumptive Big Ten POY in Evan Turner. Matta can coach, too.

Ohio State is limited but could make noise the first weekend. I agree, I love Duke's matchup well with any of the other teams you named.

dukemsu

Both teams had as many turnovers as they had field goals (13 and 15 respectively).

Michigan St. in the Sweet 16 maybe...hopefully get revenge from 05.

Penn State vs. Illinois

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2587316.story

What a wierd game. 38 - 33 (yes, it was basketball, not football). That has got to be one of the lowest scores since the shot clock. Illinios shoots no free throws during the entire game (they were never fouled in the act of shooting and were never in the bonus). Both teams shoot under 30%. Both shoot under 20% from 3pt land. A combined 16 to 28 assist to turnover ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    When the two schools played in FB this last fall, the score was PSU 38 Illinois 24...not far off
    I heard on a news report this am, that the Lions football team scored more than 38, seven times this past season.