Thread: Zeller

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Zeller

Didn't see another post on this but Zeller might come back for UNC this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3911681

If someone already posted this, feel free to delete this.

I can certainly see why he may want to save his eligibility but he could give them another piece to a championship contender this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrianZoubekExperience View Post
    Didn't see another post on this but Zeller might come back for UNC this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3911681

If someone already posted this, feel free to delete this.

I can certainly see why he may want to save his eligibility but he could give them another piece to a championship contender this year.

I was talking to a unc fan last night about this and I don't see much upside for him coming back with the exception of playing in the final four if they get there. On his side, he's likely a 4 year player and would loose a year of eligibility. On unc's side, I'm not sure he adds much to the team at this point since he has sat out the last several weeks and hasn't practiced or played with the rest of the team. He is likely rusty and out of shape and their front court is doing quite well without him. The only thing he can really offer at this point is extra fouls against a team with a big front line or insurance against another injury or bad foul problems.

It's hard to say know to possibly playing in the final four but I don't think it would be a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I was talking to a unc fan last night about this and I don't see much upside for him coming back with the exception of playing in the final four if they get there. On his side, he's likely a 4 year player and would loose a year of eligibility. On unc's side, I'm not sure he adds much to the team at this point since he has sat out the last several weeks and hasn't practiced or played with the rest of the team. He is likely rusty and out of shape and their front court is doing quite well without him. The only thing he can really offer at this point is extra fouls against a team with a big front line or insurance against another injury or bad foul problems.

It's hard to say know to possibly playing in the final four but I don't think it would be a very good idea.
    I agree. To add to that, they have a pretty strong three-man rotation in the paint with Hansbrough, Thompson, and Davis. The lack of depth is on the wing, where they no longer have Ginyard and Graves.

I'm not saying that having Zeller would hurt the Heels, but he's not exactly a big impact player for this year's team.

4. Yeah, I think a lot depends on how close to 100% he is. If he's not close then I don't see a strong incentive to coming back. If he can come back close to 100% and can get meaningful minutes on a potential final four team then maybe its worth it to him use up a year of eligiblity.

I do agee that he's a four year player so he does need to weigh a whole year of eligibility against a short year with a potentially deep run.

I was surprised to see that. He is certainly not the final ingredient needed, considering they have a pretty full pot as is (this soup metaphor doing anything for ya?). He would seemingly only get spot minutes, and if he is in fact a four-year player, you would think UNC would want to maximize those four years. They are a national championship favorite without him, and have arguably been playing their best basketball of late, when he has been unavailable. He obviously wouldn't hurt them, but they don't need him. With all they stand to lose after this year, and with the limited need for him immediately, it seems surprising to burn his redshirt.

6. update

Good thinking Roy

I think it's a very good idea to bring him back. Clearly, this is the year that UNC is making their final push to get this group to bring the National Championship to Chapel Hill. The time is now to get it done. If Zeller brings them even a teensy bit more help in some way, they should bring him in.

There's a good chance he's not a four year guy anyway, and that he'd pass on the chance to play a fifth year.

I agree with Edouble. Zeller may not see himself as a four year player. He is a seven footer who runs the floor well, has good hands and a nice touch and was ahead of Davis when the season started. He was getting raves from the folks close to the UNC program during early practices. He may want to make sure that he is in the mix for major minutes next year with three bigs returning and three coming in (Will Roy play three at a time or will the Heels simply have the most impressive looking team at the airport?).

gw67

If he comes back, that would give them three Tyler's on the team. Must be some kind of record. Do Ty's go to the runner?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If he comes back, that would give them three Tyler's on the team. Must be some kind of record. Do Ty's go to the runner?
    Who is their third Tyler?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Who is their third Tyler?
    My guess is he thought Lawson. Who is obviously Tywon. Shortened, it's three Ty's.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

At least...

...Blake Griffin will be unanimous national player of the year.

Zeller has a far more polished offensive game than Davis and has solid athleticism to boot. I actually don't think this is a bad move for the Heels as he can certainly give them some quality minutes and probably score some points. I certainly agree with everyone else who prays that this hurts the team chemistry, but we'll see.

On the news here (in Durham) they just reported that Zeller will be available against NC State tomorrow at 8.

Roy said that he has been cleared to play... if he wants to. Stay classy, Roy!
    WWJDD?

UNC needs Zeller, IMO. With the exception of Davis, their bench is pretty weak (Drew and Frasor).

They could almost have a blue team with Drew at point, Frasor at 2, Zeller at 5 and Davis at 4.

It was a big disappointment to see Zeller go down early in the season. I only saw those first two games, but he was very impressive for a freshman. He did everything much better than I expected from him. He will improve the team.

IMO, he's not a 4 year guy, probably 3, and maybe gone after next season. He looked that good at 7 ft. to me, mainly because he seemed much more ready offensively than other big freshmen we've seen lately that went after one..Ed Davis=NBA talent not ready offensively. Think B. Wright who still went after one.
    One and done M. Williams was more comparable to Zeller offensively. MW stronger, Zeller smoother.

Zeller looked more polished with the ball than all three were/are as freshman in the early games I saw.

He has NBA skillz and size, no doubt. The obvious question is when he makes the jump? Since RW has repeatedly said it's his call, TZ thinks he's not a 4 year guy if he plays.

If UNC gets matched up with a big three in the tourney,(Pitt,Ok,UCONN) he will be very valuable. UNC would need to play very aggressive in the post and possibly need those 5 fouls.

The way UNC plays there is plenty of time for all. I've seen no "chemistry' issues with the team, no matter how bad you guys wish it so

They did get after Deon to play harder for a while there, but that was competitive stuff. Deon's quotes regarding Zeller returning seem genuine and positive.

RW runs his players hard in practice and the wrist didn't stop that. TZ is in shape I'm sure.

An interesting development to the season.
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 02-18-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: clarity

JJ's scoring title

This could be good for JJ's record, but if Zeller is eating away at Hansbrough's points UNC could very well cut the nets down.

I'm still waiting for the UNC chemistry implosion. A man can dream right?

I don't think he's a four year player, so there's really no downside to bringing him back unless there's a risk of re-injury. They may have as many as 15 games left, that's not chump change.

I hope he does

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrianZoubekExperience View Post
    If he comes back maybe it will hurt their chemistry and they get worse rather than better. I don't see him helping that much except to give a few extra fouls and he loses a year of eligibility. Go Duke!