shooting mechanics

just wondering if anyone here has noticed what i have and see if anyone has an answer to my question.

with jon's jumpshot, i have noticed many times that the ball has side spin on it after it leaves is hand, instead of a more traditional backspin. also with nolan's jumshot, it looks to me that his feet are spread way too far apart and that he shoots with the ball well in front of his body. also i remember reading that the coaching staff at golden state was suprised with the bad mechanics demarcus had. i know that jumpshots are a lot like a golf swing, that different things work with different players, but there are basic fundamentals with a jump shot.

the question i have is i know chip engelland is a shooting coach in the nba, and would it be wise to have someone of that nature to come and work with the guys on their mechanics, much like big men go to big men camps in the summer.

in no way am i suggesting that anyones mechanics be tinkered with during the season, but was wondering if this was an off season option??

I have noticed what you acknowledged about Nolan. It has effected his shot. I have also noticed his percentage has gone down. About Jon, I don't know. I will start paying more attention. Hopefully you are right and someone can help.

Kinghoops,

I have noticed ( Jon's shot ) it as well, and I think it is a strength issue. Watch his free throw release/mechanics and it is smoother with better ball spin. The farther the distance, the more strained/hitched his shot looks, the greater the sidespin. With Nolan, I think it is just the way he shoots rather than a strength issue. As a former player of sorts, I had similar problems so I notice these things. Doc

I wish that I could claim credit for noticing, but it is due to a buddy of mine who's a better student of the game than I.

Jon's shot is goofy because he uses his thumbs. Players are taught early on to use only the other four fingers, but Jon's shot includes the use of his thumbs. This isn't a new phenomenon, and it's been fully incorporated into his shot. While there are many things that better form can fix, I think his shot's pretty nice as is.

I'm pretty sure it's not a strength issue, watch his upper-body strength as he finishes or tears a rebound out of a crowd.

Jon also has not been squaring up on his jump shots. Often his left foot is a step back.

Four years?

it is very difficult to break a shooter of bad habits, and I wonder if four years of college ball is enough time to do it. Especially given our incessant need for instant gratification.

Jon has always had side spin on his shot, a result of what we call a two handed shot. This results when the thumb on the off hand is too much a part of the shooting motion. For guys like JJ, the off hand is merely to stabilize the ball, the shooting motion should be one handed. For many shooters, however, the thumb on the off hand spins the ball sideways. Jon was a good shooter in high school, and until lately his percentages were high enough that you wouldn't dare work on his release.

Nolan, on the other hand. That shot is not pretty; he has no balance in his legs. I think the problem with his shot is consistency, he doesn't shoot the same way every time.

Shooting Mechanics. How will that help the team?

The mechanic who works on my car is a nice guy and he does a good job. Those mechanics who are unscrupulous should be penalized, but I don't think they should be shot. Shooting mechanics? Come on, lighten up (unless you had, say a really sweet early 1962 Thunderbird and your mechanic messed that up, in which case shooting him might be justified).

Oh, you meant the mechanics of shooting. Never mind.
    Last edited by allenmurray; 02-17-2009 at 01:34 PM.

shotrock,

I should have been more clear about Jon's strength issue. Obviously, he began shooting like this quite a while ago and at a younger age when he was not as strong ( although I do not think his strength is great, now ). When kids are small and not strong, they tend to have hitches and use their hands/thumbs too much. The incorrect mechanics become more obvious the longer the shot. Doc

Shooting mechanics are often discussed, but the reality is that plenty of great shooters have "poor" mechanics. Peja Stojakovic sidewinds the ball up there. Reggie Miller had "terrible" form on his shot. Michael Adams practically shotputted the ball up there. Those are just a couple of examples, but the point is that good form for any particular shooter is merely the form that they are comfortable with that works for them. It's probably easier to shoot well with "good" form, but people without "good" form can shoot just fine.

I agree with the suggestion that Scheyer and Smith don't have the shooting mechanics that make basketball purists drool. But those mechanics have worked fine for them up until calendar year 2009 hit. I don't think it's mechanical issues that are holding them back right now.

For the most part, Scheyer's misses are on line, but the distance is off (frequently short). Poor mechanics would suggest more misses to the right or left. I believe it is Wooden who says that good shooters should miss short or long, but not left or right. That appears to be the case with Scheyer.

The same applies for Smith. The problem with Smith's shot is that it won't translate to the next level. Shooting from a low starting point and out in front of your body means you have to have a TON of room. In the NBA, it's harder to get that room. Of course, we're not worried about Smith's NBA shooting - we're worried about his college shooting. And in that sense, I don't think it's his form that is hurting him right now.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    shotrock,

I should have been more clear about Jon's strength issue. Obviously, he began shooting like this quite a while ago and at a younger age when he was not as strong ( although I do not think his strength is great, now ). When kids are small and not strong, they tend to have hitches and use their hands/thumbs too much. The incorrect mechanics become more obvious the longer the shot. Doc
    Ah, that makes sense then. No worries, I'm just glad his shot goes in.

Quote Originally Posted by kinghoops View Post
    . . . also i remember reading that the coaching staff at golden state was suprised with the bad mechanics demarcus had.
    Anyone there who was surprised by Demarcus' shooting mechanics never saw him play much. His shooting mechanics for jump shots or free throws were always, er, untraditional. Little or sideways spin, palm flat on the ball. In season is not the time to monkey with a shooter's mechanics unless he's gotten away from what was successful for him before. Maybe off season work can make improvements, but not during the season. Comparing film of Jon when he was shooting well to his recent slump might pay dividends, though.