Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone catch DOLLHOUSE?

joss whedon's new series..

interesting...

I haven't watched it yet, but I did TiVo it. The wife wanted to watch Grey's last night.

I saw it and I'll watch at least a few more episodes. My friend in the know says that Fox requested that the first episode be re-shot and that may account for some things that were unclear logically. So far, the guys in the show are what's interesting. The main girl--well, it's her job to occassionally look really vapid and blank. I haven't warmed to her yet.

I have liked some of Whedon's stuff before a lot, so I'm going to give it a chance. It's definitely a lot darker than Firefly.

Are you talking about Eliza Dushku? She's a pretty good actress, I think. She was pretty good in Tru Calling, Angel and Buffy.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Are you talking about Eliza Dushku? She's a pretty good actress, I think. She was pretty good in Tru Calling, Angel and Buffy.
    Yes, that's the one. I haven't seen any of the other stuff she's been in. She may be great, but whatever they wrote for her character last night was just kinda odd and not in the "hmm. I wonder what's going on and can't wait for this to be revealed" kinda way.

No, I didn't. But I know the song Doll Parts by Hole. Is that good for anything?

(Probably not.)

(Okay, I confess, I was intriqued about the show because of pictures of its star Eliza Dushku.)

I watched it and was interested enough to watch a few more. I never watched anything of Whedon's except for Firefly/Serenity which was great. I liked Dushku in that cheerleading movie that I'm not too embarassed to say I've seen. The idea behind the story definitely has potential.

Watched it, but wasn't overly impressed. In general, I like shows that have a constant premise, but are not connected week to week. Quantum Leap was a good example of a similar show. Every week they could put Sam in any situation they wanted, anywhere in the world, then wrap it up in an hour and start over. Dollhouse has that same quality. The first episode was okay, but the scenes with the dolls looking blank and vapid were a bit to eerie for me. Not sure if they are the heroes or the victims.

Eliza Dushku I really liked in Tru Calling, and was bummed when that series got canned. Fox was obviously trying to tie Terminator and Dollhouse together, plugging several spots with the leading ladies from both looking hot. From the ratings, it seems like Dollhouse did OK, but Terminator did a little bit worse than COPS did the previous week in the same timeslot. Ouch. Given that COPS is much much cheaper to produce, this may be the beginning of the end for Terminator.

Interesting that they chose to put this show on Friday nights. I would think the majority of the 18-29 target demographic wouldn't be home watching TV at that time.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Quantum Leap was a good example of a similar show. Every week they could put Sam in any situation they wanted, anywhere in the world, then wrap it up in an hour and start over.
    Anyone that references Quantum Leap is down in my book.

I liked the show, it has me interested and given I'm in on most Friday nights (have a 2 yr old), I'll watch it. The uploading of knowledge and skills reminded me of the scenes in the Matrix where they "learned" martial arts, helicopter piloting, etc. That's a good thing btw.

I'm not sure why one would enlist in becoming a Doll as it seemed Echo (Dushku) did, because it would seem that your life is pretty much over. Unless of course, they let you out in a few years with a ton of cash and some additional skill sets.

Note that I have a big Dushku crush, so I may be glossing over any deficiencies of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post

I'm not sure why one would enlist in becoming a Doll as it seemed Echo (Dushku) did, because it would seem that your life is pretty much over. Unless of course, they let you out in a few years with a ton of cash and some additional skill sets.
    In the opening scenes the woman who runs the Dollhouse is having a conversation with Echo before she becomes one of the dolls. Although they do not talk specifics, it is implied that Echo (or possibly someone close to her) has done something that has consequences. It seems like she can either accept those consequences, or commit to the Dollhouse for a period of time.

As Echo searches for her true identity, I am sure the details of why she committed herself to the Dollhouse will be revealed. In typical Whedon fashion, you never get the whole story all at once (or maybe ever).

i wasn't overly impressed either...i will watch it for a few more episodes just to see if it gets me.

i will confess, that i totally missed firefly, and just happened to rent Serenity. I enjoyed it somewhat, and then a friend got me to go back and catch Firefly.

Once i had seen the entire Firefly, i was hooked...and then serenity was so much better...

weird..

Episode 2?

At our place last night, the consensus from all the people who weren't anticipating Dollhouse was that Episode 2 was better than Episode 1 and it got better about when the giant guns came out. The guys commented in particular about that, but I'd concur. Seems like storylines are smoothing a little and I'm looking forward to revelations to come.

I'm still ambivalent toward Dushku as Echo. Is Echo always going to be a perky, guy crazed chatterbox for some part of every episode? Overall, the general premise of things is getting interesting. Still really like agent Ballard and Echo's handler. Don't know what's up with lasagne girl.

The one girl who had been anticipating the series as a major Whedon/Buffy fan was disappointed and thought this episode was worse than the first. Not quite clear why she felt that way, but I was surprised. Looking forward to hear how the other girl who's a big Whedon/Buffy fan feels about Episode 2. (She was away on business and couldn't attend last night.)

i liked last night's episode even less..

it's just not catching me...

Episode 3?

@Moonpie:
    Did you catch Episode 3?

I think that if I had never watched Episode 1 and only watched 2 & 3, I'd have been ok or even better off. Then again, I liked Episode 2, and 3 left me with the questions that are keeping me in the show. I'm now really interested in seeing how various storylines are going to work out--particularly the one with Victor and the Agent.

@bjornolf:
    Dushku isn't impressing me that much at this point. But she's not detracting from the interesting story developing. Thankfully, episode 3 didn't force her to be the ditsy love toy at any point.

Personally, I think that turning the volume down on the T&A would be a plus, but I guess that the other viewers who are home @ 9PM on Fri nights might appreciate it. [sigh.]

At this point, if someone were casually interested in the series, I'd recommend catching episodes 2 and 3 on hulu and skipping 1 entirely. If we didn't have Whedon friends pushing us to watch, I suspect this would have eventually ended up as something we watched on DVD so that we could keep up with the ongoing story. I don't think the show is episodic like Star Trek episodes or Quantum leap as I remember it.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebutton View Post
    @Moonpie:
    Did you catch Episode 3?

I think that if I had never watched Episode 1 and only watched 2 & 3, I'd have been ok or even better off. Then again, I liked Episode 2, and 3 left me with the questions that are keeping me in the show. I'm now really interested in seeing how various storylines are going to work out--particularly the one with Victor and the Agent.

@bjornolf:
    Dushku isn't impressing me that much at this point. But she's not detracting from the interesting story developing. Thankfully, episode 3 didn't force her to be the ditsy love toy at any point.

Personally, I think that turning the volume down on the T&A would be a plus, but I guess that the other viewers who are home @ 9PM on Fri nights might appreciate it. [sigh.]

At this point, if someone were casually interested in the series, I'd recommend catching episodes 2 and 3 on hulu and skipping 1 entirely. If we didn't have Whedon friends pushing us to watch, I suspect this would have eventually ended up as something we watched on DVD so that we could keep up with the ongoing story. I don't think the show is episodic like Star Trek episodes or Quantum leap as I remember it.
    I think the show is getting better, but it feels like another Whedon cult favorite that probably won't break through. I think it's wise to ignore episode 1, like Firefly, Fox made him make that episode rather than the one he wanted to do. With Whedon, you know what you're getting, why get in his way?

I watched the first 3 episodes on Hulu.com the other night, and while I wasn't SUPER impressed with the show, I am ALWAYS impressed with Ms Dushku (future Mrs BDJ, fingers crossed) so I will continue to watch just for her alone. Any of you ever seen "The New Guy" and her now infamous bikini shopping scene? WOW!

There is an interview with Dushku in The Onion's AV Club about Dollhouse. Apparently there have been some issues in episodes 1-5 in which the show was retooled and altered a bit. She says that the show takes off starting with #6. (#4 airs tonight I believe)

I guess the message is hang in there if you're interested.

I now realize why I like her btw, she was in True Lies. I'm a huge Arnold fan.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I now realize why I like her btw, she was in True Lies. I'm a huge Arnold fan.
    I'm admittedly horrible at picking out actors in other scenarios, but I would have never gotten this one. Granted she was a lot younger and she was only in 3-4 scenes, but still.

Thanks for pointing it out.
    "There can BE only one."

Post-everything bump

Sad about the BSG ending and the yesterday's NCAA bow out, I thought I'd bump this post to say that Dollhouse has really turned around.

Episode 6 was EXCELLENT and hopefully a harbinger of what is to come. The best episodes so far are 2, 3, and 6. It's a fun Friday night show with some really interesting plot themes and points. I'm looking forward to how things play out and hope the acting continues to even out.

Canceled? Maybe?

I tried to watch the show for this reason, but the last 2-3 episodes really made it impossible for me to like the show. Getting bumped off my DVR cue to make room for Breaking Bad.