Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battier to be on cover of NYTimes Mag this Sunday

Sadly, I don't know much beyond that.

My guess would be that either Michael Lewis or Michael Sokolove penned the story. No idea what it's about, though I think it's fair to make some educated guesses.

It should be online sometime tomorrow afternoon.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through it and it's great -- yes, Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball among many other greats (including a recent Portfolio mag article about the financial meltdown). Love this quote: "“I thought he’d be the first black president,” Wetzel says. “He was Barack Obama before Barack Obama.”"

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Just read the article myself. And though it's nothing new, I feel the need to say it again. I love Shane Battier.

I read the article, too. Loved it. It's an article I could give to anyone who would ever dare to ask why Shane Battier is my favorite Duke player of all time.

Links to articles like this are why I come to this site. Thanks for the find guys.
    This has to be one of the best written and informative pieces on the game that I have ever read. Really enjoyed it and have bookmarked it to re-read again later. Send this out to any causual fan you know that would like to understand the game better.

The game is about so much more than talent, always has been, but I never new that there was such a real effort out there to try an quantify "intangibles".

Battier was the perfect case study too. I hope he makes lots of money an gets set so financially for life during his NBA career, that when we do elect him President some day, he will make the tough, rational decisions we need and care less whether he gets re-elected.
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 02-14-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: sp

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/ma...Battier-t.html

I am only about halfway through it but it is one of the most enlightened and meaningful articles on basketball I have ever read. Michael Lewis is a fabulous writer and he understands sports.

The article makes Shane appear to be somewhat alone in the world of professional basketball -- alone in his abilities but also alone in that he does not have many friends among the players. It would appear that this is because he does not share the same interests as them. I feel sorta sorry for them that they do not recognize what an amazing experience it would be to have a meaningful conversation with someone as bright as Shane. Sad.

I would be stunned if Shane is not someday the GM of an NBA team that wins the league title... if that is what he wants to do.

--Jason "a piece of me thinks it is a pity that Shane's talents are wasted on sports. He really would make an amazing public leader" Evans

Catalyst

The New York Times magazine's cover article -- highlighted on DBR's front page today -- analyzing Shane Battier's aggregate impact in the Rockets' success is wonderful. In my opinion, we should all read it, enjoy it and be immensely proud of Shane's Duke heritage; however, we should not be at all surprised by it.

This, after all, is the same Shane Battier whose brains, character, leadership, and talents led the Blue Devils to the 2001 NCAA trophy, after what many believed was a Duke-season-ending injury to Carlos Boozer. The "miracle minute" victory in College Park, the ACC Tournament title (especially the minutely close semi-final victory over Maryland and the blowout of UNC the following afternoon), and the successful National Championship run (particularly the semi-final victory again over Maryland, as well as the NCAA championship over Arizona) were all founded on Shane's remarkable athleticism (principally defense), on his leadership, on his character, and on his tenacity. Certainly the other superb members of the 2001 Duke team (Williams, James, Boozer, Dunleavy, and so forth) share this distinction, but (in my opinion) Shane was the catalyst that made it possible.

The current Times article is really an appropriate complement to an equally superb Times piece written eight-years ago: We Are Duke (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...=&pagewanted=1), which is clearly worth re-reading.

I agree with everything that has been said and would add only that it would still be the best article I have ever read about basketball even if it weren't about my all-time favorite player.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Finally a reason to buy the Times!

--Jason "a piece of me thinks it is a pity that Shane's talents are wasted on sports. He really would make an amazing public leader" Evans

"Just watch Shane" - K

What a remarkable piece by a fine writer, acknowledging an outside-the-box GM who recognized, in most ways to his own amazement, Battier's uniqueness. Most things described as "unique," aren't. As a basketball player, possibly in other ways, Shane is.

Two telling Shane moments from the NC game v. Ariz: (1) when the ball got stuck, where?, on top of blackboard, and Shane, the ultimate multi-tasker who apparently thinks about everything, grabbed a broom-thing, and knocked it down. He was laughing. (2) that truly amazing tip-in with maybe 3-4 minutes left, when he swooped in from right side of basket, then between several players, somehow got his right hand up to the rim, and tipped the ball in with, I think, the back of his pinky-ring fingers/wrist as the ball fell off to the left.

And the most telling comment on Shane: K's "Just watch Shane. Don't look at anything else for a few minutes. Just watch Shane."

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    (2) that truly amazing tip-in with maybe 3-4 minutes left, when he swooped in from right side of basket, then between several players, somehow got his right hand up to the rim, and tipped the ball in with, I think, the back of his pinky-ring fingers/wrist as the ball fell off to the left.
    The moment that I (and I'm sure many of us here) knew we were going to win the game. In a lot of basketball games, you can really feel one team gaining momentum over the other, but in those last 3 or 4 minutes, you felt one player, Shane, gaining momentum over everyone and everything on the court. He was everywhere at once, as if he was literally leaving every last drop of his NCAA soul out on the court in what he knew was his final game.

I'm still so glad that Shane chose Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I agree with everything that has been said and would add only that it would still be the best article I have ever read about basketball even if it weren't about my all-time favorite player.
    I think it's one of the best best articles I've ever read on any topic. Also, I didn't realize that he was instrumental in recruiting Brand to Duke. Capel or Battier as the next coach at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I think it's one of the best best articles I've ever read on any topic. Also, I didn't realize that he was instrumental in recruiting Brand to Duke. Capel or Battier as the next coach at Duke?
    I love Shane. Just sayin'.

Seriously, though, he is a great human being. On the court. Off the court. What a great example to point to as a person. How proud that he chose Duke.

And I also didn't realize the part about him calling Elton. Quite interesting!

What a treat! I started reading and then decided to wait for the print. Anything Michael Lewis writes is well worth reading. I've met his uncle a few times and always compliment his nephew's talent.
    "His beloved alma mater..." great stuff!

A Valentine's tribute to our Shane!

It is rare that a writer both illustrates a personality and educates you about the game at the same time. Fantastic article. Worth a couple of reads to be sure.

I remember being in Michigan while Shane was at DCDS, and how he was always being compared to Webber (never favorably so as Webber was seen as god-like). People were still sad when he left the state, as they knew he would do great things at Duke (I remember hearing that MSU was a distant second to Duke for Shane's college choice, but never saw that said by Shane). Shane never got heat for going to Duke, not even for showing up to school dressed as a Cameron Crazy on Halloween (which was covered by the media, which was odd). That was in stark comparison to Grant's time in Detroit, as he heard constantly from Duke haters and in a sense Detroit never warmed to Grant at all.

Shane has certainly not disappointed his hometown nor his beloved alma mater. What a credit to Duke University. I always laugh when people say someone plays like Shane or shows Shane-like qualities. Sorry. They broke the mold with this guy.

dukemsu

what an excellent article. Outstanding!
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Wonderful written and insightful article. It certainly appealed to the basketball geek in me. Any non-Duke fan would enjoy this as well.

somehow, i feel like the term "he was ALSO a basketball player once" will apply to that guy....

can't say enough about him....i've told this story before, but he spent at least 15 min AFTER a tiring game at CIS taking my son around the locker room introducing him to the players, talking to him and posing for pics with Sam...

he's got my vote..

I am so glad that none of our coaches called Shane outside the alloted time when they were recruiting him. Poor Pitino. lol.
    ~rthomas