Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Huggins to WVU; Martin to coach KSU

K-State hired a sleez in Huggins, turns out the K-State athletic department isnt much better. Not granting a recruit his release in this situation is 100 percent selfish and completely deplorable. The NCAA really should step in and adjust this rule.

ps - isnt it ironic that Huggins was an Academic AA in college ...

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    K-State hired a sleez in Huggins, turns out the K-State athletic department isnt much better. Not granting a recruit his release in this situation is 100 percent selfish and completely deplorable. The NCAA really should step in and adjust this rule.

You don't commit to a coach, you commit to a school. I guarantee you Duke would do the same thing in this situation.

I disagree!

Sad when a school takes out their anger/dissapointment on the players when the coach is a sleez.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Sad when a school takes out their anger/dissapointment on the players when the coach is a sleez.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Just wait and see what happens.

actually, didnt Duke release Kris Humphries (excuse possible misspelling - he never came here so i never learnt how to spell his name!) because he felt more comfortable at Minn.?

Saying you dont commit to a coach is an absurd statement imo. The player is committing to play basketball at a school. What one individual is going to shape that students experience more than the coach? If you commit to play for a laid back type of coach because that is your personality, and that coach leaves and all of a sudden a disciplinarian comes in that you never would have agreed to play for should you be forced to play for that coach? I dont think so. This whole committing to a school and not a coach is just nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Just wait and see what happens.
    My post was in reference to the DBR link on the front page saying that K-State has come out and said that they arent releasing him from his loi: http://nbadraft.net/rabinowitz008.asp

He may go play over sees, but excuse me for relying on the link posted.

Why don't you tell Patrick Patterson, "You don't commit to a coach, you commit to a school."

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't an incoming coach revoke scholarship offers to previously committed players? I seem to recall this happening in similar situations in the past. Players sign LOIs and then the coach leaves... then the new coach disregards the LOI, yanks the schollies, and signs his own recruits. Maybe I'm recalling verbals instead of LOIs. I'm pretty sure that happened to players at Texas Tech when Knight first arrived.

I heard the presser and the impression I got was that K-State's policy is not to grant releases. Weiser then indicated that they would wait and get their coach installed before considering any alteration of that policy.

I think that's pretty typical in these situations. Remind the kid that he's bound by the LOI. Encourage everyone to let things cool down. Hire your coach and let him make his pitch to the recruits. Threaten tampering charges if the kids were to follow Huggy-bear. Then relent if the kid really wants out and release him.

As I recall, with Duke, K met with the Humphries crew to hear for himself the complaints/concerns and then cut the kid loose when it was apparent he wouldn't fit in/unpack bags/or whatever you want to call generally being a pain in the arse.

K-State went way over the top with their absurd whining presser yesterday, but I don't think the initial indications out of the AD are that inconsistent with the sabre rattling most schools employ. Now, if they ultimately don't release the kid when he wants out, that's BS. Until then, this is just poor PR by a jilted AD...which is really pretty funny.

what you read depends on where you read it.

fascinating what different web sites print. I read elsewhere, am trying to find it, that K-State officials said they wouldn't release players until they identified a new coach...meaning the AD wouldn't consider it, without coach involvement...other reports put a whole different slant on what they are quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    I heard the presser and the impression I got was that K-State's policy is not to grant releases. Weiser then indicated that they would wait and get their coach installed before considering any alteration of that policy.

I think that's pretty typical in these situations. Remind the kid that he's bound by the LOI. Encourage everyone to let things cool down. Hire your coach and let him make his pitch to the recruits. Threaten tampering charges if the kids were to follow Huggy-bear. Then relent if the kid really wants out and release him.
    Exactly. This isn't the pros. They are supposed to be getting an education and playing basketball... student-athletes. I know that most of you don't seem to care and most of the 700 SAT recruits don't either... but that's how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    fascinating what different web sites print. I read elsewhere, am trying to find it, that K-State officials said they wouldn't release players until they identified a new coach...meaning the AD wouldn't consider it, without coach involvement...other reports put a whole different slant on what they are quoting.
    I know a lot of people at KSU including big-time boosters, children of athletic administrators, and certain current players on the team. I know exactly what is going on there right now. The only thing that might get in the way of this resolving quickly is that supposedly Steve Henson (former player, UNLV assistant) is trying to put his name in for the job. Also, Beasley knows how much he is wanted at KSU. He will stay unless something unexpected happens with the hiring of the new coach.

actually, didnt Duke release Kris Humphries (excuse possible misspelling - he never came here so i never learnt how to spell his name!) because he felt more comfortable at Minn.?

Saying you dont commit to a coach is an absurd statement imo. The player is committing to play basketball at a school. What one individual is going to shape that students experience more than the coach? If you commit to play for a laid back type of coach because that is your personality, and that coach leaves and all of a sudden a disciplinarian comes in that you never would have agreed to play for should you be forced to play for that coach? I dont think so. This whole committing to a school and not a coach is just nonsensical.
    I understood Humphries was let go b/c of a difference in what K wanted and what Humphries (along with his very involved father as I recall - correct me if I'm wrong) wanted to do. Basically, he was a one and done and made no bones about it. K wanted at least 2 years...

KSU's new coach...

... is apparently Frank Martin. Word has it that Dalonte Hill is staying as an assistant. If this information is accurate then that means that Beasley will probably still go to KSU.

Edit: What I find interesting about this hire is that it seems to have been done solely to keep the current recruiting class instead of hiring a coach with more experience and better credentials (they went after Kruger (UNLV coach, former KSU coach) but he said no and recommended his assistant coach Steve Henson (former KSU star and NBA player). This might not be bad for Kansas State though... they can build their program off of a great season or two with the recruits instead of having to start from scratch.
    Last edited by FireOgilvie; 04-06-2007 at 04:33 PM.

In the words of News Radio's Dave Nelson, "If what you're saying is true, then I ... still ... don't ... care."

Beasley's good, but he's not THAT good (see Durant, Kevin). And if Durant (with a better supporting cast) couldn't lead Texas to much of anything this year, I doubt we'll be hearing much of KState this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    In the words of News Radio's Dave Nelson, "If what you're saying is true, then I ... still ... don't ... care."

Beasley's good, but he's not THAT good (see Durant, Kevin). And if Durant (with a better supporting cast) couldn't lead Texas to much of anything this year, I doubt we'll be hearing much of KState this year.
    Haha goooood. I'm sure many people agree. However, Kansas State barely missed the tournament this year and Beasley is one of the top 3 players in the country. I'm sure some find it interesting because there was talk of Beasley leaving and going somewhere else (Georgetown, Pittsburgh, possibly WVU), which would have changed a lot of things going into next year.

PS - You apparently have a Washington DC/Maryland bias... but I guess that makes sense. Just hope that Beasley doesn't go to Georgetown... you'll get a lot of ____ from your 8 friends that go there.
    Last edited by FireOgilvie; 04-06-2007 at 04:43 PM.

With Beasley and Walker they could be dangerous especially with Durant leaving Tx most likely... say Kansas losses a lot... Billy G and Law leave A&M the Big 12 is weak and K state would have one of the top teams.... giving them a nice tourny resume.

Sidney Lowe lost two of the three recruits signed by Herb Sendek.

Jeff Capel lost several recruits signed by Sampson.

While technically true that a player signs with a school not a coach, it is disingenuous to think that the coach isn't a very significant factor. Most schools won't release a recruit to follow the previous coach to a new school but most will otherwise release players from any obligations should they not wish to come in following a coaching change.

Players sign wtih the school with the expectation that the coach presently in place will REMAIN there. If a coach can cut and run from his contract for bigger and better things, so too should a kid who has not set foot on campus.