Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Pretty good first half in many respects; didn't like the last minute and a half. BC got some good looks, and Duke fired up at least 4 3-pointers that missed.

Nice job by Lance and Gerald esp. in 1st half.

A 13 point lead, nearly squandered, the defense on Rice is the only factor that is maintaining this lead at half.

Trifectas

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I'm glad were in front after shooting 1-10 from 3 and allowing them to shoot 58%.
    If I remember correctly, Singler hit Duke's first three early, but since then it has been brick city.

Nolan's play aside, I thought we looked pretty good in the first half. I'm thrilled with what Lance has been doing, and overall things seem to be going well. Offensive rebounding has been a key plus as well.

Back to Nolan for a second, what the heck is up with him? I've read some speculation about his knee still bothering him, but even if that is true, that shouldn't affect things like his shot. He really needs to get things figured out...

We need to make sure Rice doesn't start burning us in the 2nd half. He started to light things up there at the end of the 1st.

I hope we go back to attacking the basket in the second half. I thought we did a nice job of it until the last couple minutes. When we do take threes, we are much more effective on the drive and dish as opposed to passing it around the outside (or at least it seems that way). It seems more and more that aggressive offensive and defensive teams get the benefit of the close calls...If we return to the way we played for the first 17:30 minutes, we should put BC away comfortably. If not, in the words of Al McGuire?, it's going to be a "white knuckler"...As great as it is to win the close ones, I am really hoping for the former. My heart needs a breather.

Quote Originally Posted by darkblue2769 View Post
    Nolan's play aside, I thought we looked pretty good in the first half. I'm thrilled with what Lance has been doing, and overall things seem to be going well. Offensive rebounding has been a key plus as well.

Back to Nolan for a second, what the heck is up with him? I've read some speculation about his knee still bothering him, but even if that is true, that shouldn't affect things like his shot. He really needs to get things figured out...

We need to make sure Rice doesn't start burning us in the 2nd half. He started to light things up there at the end of the 1st.

What's wrong with Nolan? Probably has something to do with him having no idea what his role is supposed to be right now, or how he's supposed to go about filling it. I feel bad for the guy.

I really think we need to severely de-emphasize the 3-pt shot in our offense, especially on the road. We're not a good 3-pt shooting team, and we take way too many.

Gerald seems to be our main offensive threat who takes good looks and makes them. Besides him and Paulus, no one else should be attempting more than one or two a game. Really wish Singler would quit throwing up bricks from 3.

an early-2nd half three from Singler. That's a good sign he's got something left in the tank. And Lance contributes! Keep fighting guys!

Nolan

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    What's wrong with Nolan? Probably has something to do with him having no idea what his role is supposed to be right now, or how he's supposed to go about filling it. I feel bad for the guy.
    A couple of weeks ago, word was he had a bad back. If that's still the case, it would explain quite a bit. Remember that Duke doesn't publicize its injuries, so it is quite possible that he is struggling physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Nolan's never been an offensive powerhouse, but come on. He is in a huge hole right now.

Greg, on the other hand, has come out competing well. He's so underrated on the defensive end. He's not a great on ball guy, but he does an efficient enough job keeping with non-Lawsons, and his play in the passing lanes and off the ball are exceptional. Very heady.

I'd like to see him get more looks offensively, though. With nobody else on the team hitting a thing from three, we could really use Greg's outside touch.

Maybe it's just me, but we do a horrible job of finding Greg when he's free. Sometimes, it's like he's invisible.
    We don't need more 3 pointers... we need to go inside. Paulus hasn't had much "touch" this year; Nolan is shooting a better percentage on the year. Also, Nolan looked good in the 2nd half of the UNC game... but he does look really bad today so far. Paulus looks off right now in the 2nd half though. Several silly fouls. Some consistency from either one of them would be nice.

great work SCACC-one suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Here's the link to live tempo-based stats for the BC/Duke game. The starters are now posted.

By the way, we're trying out a new live +/- number as well. We're still working out the kinks, but it should be close either way.
    Look great! One suggestion, though. For ever other stat,the one highlighted in yellow is for the team doing better at that state - except TO%. You might either want to highlight the one with the lower percentage or change this stat to %TO forced by the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, word was he had a bad back. If that's still the case, it would explain quite a bit. Remember that Duke doesn't publicize its injuries, so it is quite possible that he is struggling physically.
    his back didn't seem to bother him against UNC. I guess it's possible that's when he hurt it. He's got to be shaken mentally, though. The challenges he's faced this year trying to contribute to this team have been enormous.

LT commits the most infuriating fouls.

Will there be a possession for either team where a foul isn't called? We need to be aggressive and make our free throws! One more foul on RIce would be nice. He needs a rest.

The 3rd foul on Greg was a joke. This is getting absurd. They better start evening this out. Need to start cutting off Rice going through the lane and start applying pressure on them again.

double bonus

8 minutes into the 2nd half.

I have no idea if Nolan is injured, but I don't think it's an excuse. His problems seem more mental than anything. Paulus was in a slump in the beginning of the season when he wasn't starting, and now that he's starting again he looks more confident. I think Nolan might have the same problem. He was starting all year and now he's coming off the bench. You could tell that in the UNC game he had a completely different attitude; he was very aggressive. Henderson has stated that he plays better when he's angry. I think the same goes for Nolan.

I hope this espn gamecast is inaccurate because it has described all but 2 of BC's second-half baskets as as a lay-up or a dunk. Please tell me we are defending better than that.

Frustrating

It is frustrating to follow this game. We blow a 13 point lead and our offense stalls at the right time.
    Is there anyone on this team that can help Henderson and singler?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Does Paulus also have a bad back?