Virginia 85, (11) Clemson 81, OT

Virginia up 16-7 in early going.

How are they doing it? When they break the press past half-court, they are immediately looking to attack the basket and exploit the momentary numbers advantage for good looks.

Exactly what we DIDN'T do. ARGGGGGGH!

I love Clemson, but we need them to get upset by somebody, possibly multiple somebodies, for our ACC standing. Go Cavs!

Virginia 33-25 at the half.

The press has bitten the Cavs a few times, but when they do beat the press they are attacking it well. I like what Virginia is doing taking a quick three ball after beating the press when there is someone in good rebounding position.

The Cavs have actually left some points on the table, missing a couple of open layups and with good free throw shooters not hitting their normal shots.

Looks like Clemson has awoken. 12-0 run to start the 2nd half.

Somehow UVA leads by 2 at the under 12 timeout. They have 16 turnovers, so I don't know if we should compliment them on their poise in beating the press. I think Clemson's offense is just out of rhythm today.

Under 4 minutes and Virginia hanging right with Clemson.

Give credit to Virginia, they continued all game to attack the press and doing it with some freshmen starters, including the freshman guard Zeglinski.

Landesberg tied it with 13 seconds left. Clemson proceeded to miss 3 looks to win it and now we are headed for OT. Great game.

Of the three top-ten teams that beat Duke over the last stretch of games, two have seen a post-Duke hangover. Wake might have recovered from that yesterday, but Clemson looks like it still may have some problems. As for UNC, we'll see after Duke-BC.

I agree; this has turned into a great game. Clemson clearly isn't at the top of its game, but since when has Virginia thought they could actually win a game? I'm used to seeing them give up this season.

Horrible execution by Clemson with the last possession while down by 3. And UVa pulls it off...

Clemson falls to Virginia, 85-81 in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by gwwilburn View Post
    Of the three top-ten teams that beat Duke over the last stretch of games, two have seen a post-Duke hangover.
    "Strong in this one the Duke Curse is"

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Anything can happen in the ACC. Congrats to UVA.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

WOOHOO, WAHOO

What was Oglesby thinking dribbling the clock away and coming up with poor quality shot?

Was Purnell shaking his head in disbelief at Ogelsby's ineptitude again?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    WOOHOO, WAHOO

What was Oglesby thinking dribbling the clock away and coming up with poor quality shot?
    Well, everything he else he heaved towards the basket in the last 8 minutes went in. Clemson needed a trey to tie, so who else would they have wanted to take that shot? Credit Virginia for crowding him so he had no space to operate.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Well, everything he else he heaved towards the basket in the last 8 minutes went in. Clemson needed a trey to tie, so who else would they have wanted to take that shot? Credit Virginia for crowding him so he had no space to operate.
    ...What you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Yeah, probably so. I thought they should have moved the ball quicker, maybe even taken a quick two-pointer, or at least tried for a better quality shot. But Oglesby is clearly the long-range guy.

Good for the Virginia guys. Nice effort.

Quote Originally Posted by notacolour View Post
    I agree; this has turned into a great game. Clemson clearly isn't at the top of its game, but since when has Virginia thought they could actually win a game? I'm used to seeing them give up this season.
    Actually, we haven't given up in very many games. What's happened most often is we've gotten behind by 20+ going into the 2nd half and then made a run, only to fall 8-12 points short in the end.

This was probably the best 40 (45) minutes of basketball we've played all year...certainly the best since ACC play started. Here's hoping we can keep it up against VPI and NCSU this week!

Anyone else notice the "Dukie hangover" continues? Any team Duke plays seems to go downhill over the subsequent 2 weeks.