Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Boston College 80, Duke 74

Didn't see one of these yet and figured it's time to start talking about BC. Other than Rice, I don't know much about them. Has anyone seen them play this year?

I know Trapini (a transfer from Vermont) has been pretty successful this year. I haven't seen them much, but as far as I know they are still running that kind of weird flex-based offense, and are overall a physical team. I think Skinner typically does a very good job with his teams, and I'm looking forward to this match up.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Didn't see one of these yet and figured it's time to start talking about BC. Other than Rice, I don't know much about them. Has anyone seen them play this year?
    They've got a few weapons. Rice is obvious, but they go beyond that.

Rakim Sanders is a guy sort of similar to Summers from Georgetown. He's not nearly as consistent, but he's similar in size, able to score in the post or from the perimeter, and rebounds really well.

They also have Joe Trapani, who is a versatile post player capable of perimeter scoring or scoring on the block.

Corey Raji gives them another midsize athletic guy. He plays the baseline game, getting some points and rebounds in the paint. Tyler Roche is similar in size, but plays the opposite game (primarily a perimeter shooter).

The rest of their backcourt is Mr. October and Biko Paris. Paris is quick and a capable ballhandler, but nondescript offensively. Jackson is another good athlete, but not a great outside shooter.

They don't get much from their bigs. Southern and Dunn give them solid defensive minutes but not too much offense.

If you limit Rice and Sanders, BC doesn't bring much to the table. That's easier said than done of course, but that's the key. They play their flex offense, they play sometimes-tough half-court defense (no press).

They run a bunch of bigs through as well.

Call Tommy, ask him for his game plan.

We probably should have called him before our last game. If Harvard > BC and BC > UNC, then, by the Transitive Law of Basketball, Harvard > UNC.

Quod erat demonstrandum, res ipsa loquitur, in vino veritas.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    They've got a few weapons. Rice is obvious, but they go beyond that.

Rakim Sanders is a guy sort of similar to Summers from Georgetown. He's not nearly as consistent, but he's similar in size, able to score in the post or from the perimeter, and rebounds really well.

They also have Joe Trapani, who is a versatile post player capable of perimeter scoring or scoring on the block.

Corey Raji gives them another midsize athletic guy. He plays the baseline game, getting some points and rebounds in the paint. Tyler Roche is similar in size, but plays the opposite game (primarily a perimeter shooter).

The rest of their backcourt is Mr. October and Biko Paris. Paris is quick and a capable ballhandler, but nondescript offensively. Jackson is another good athlete, but not a great outside shooter.

They don't get much from their bigs. Southern and Dunn give them solid defensive minutes but not too much offense.

If you limit Rice and Sanders, BC doesn't bring much to the table. That's easier said than done of course, but that's the key. They play their flex offense, they play sometimes-tough half-court defense (no press).

They run a bunch of bigs through as well.
    So key matchups include whomever is guarding Rice, and Sanders/Singler? Sounds like they have an unfavorable matchup vs. Hendo. Could this be an opportunity to get some post scoring from LT or Z?

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    So key matchups include whomever is guarding Rice, and Sanders/Singler? Sounds like they have an unfavorable matchup vs. Hendo. Could this be an opportunity to get some post scoring from LT or Z?
    Not necessarily. While Southern and Dunn don't provide much offensively, they can be solid defensively. Both are physical players and are capable of making it difficult for both guys to score. I wouldn't look to this as a game for Zoubek and Thomas to come up big, but anything's possible.

BC will probably have trouble with Henderson. That said, EVERYONE has trouble with Henderson. There are just very few teams that can match up with Henderson athletically. BC is not really any worse off against Henderson than most teams. BC will go with Sanders or Raji on Henderson. Trapani will probably guard Singler, and the other of Sanders/Raji will guard Scheyer.

I suspect that Trapani will match up with Singler and that Sanders, Raji and Jackson will rotate playing the off guard and wing positions. All four are quality players who, along with Rice, can get hot at any time. Their weakest player, IMO, is their center, Southern.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I suspect that Trapani will match up with Singler and that Sanders, Raji and Jackson will rotate playing the off guard and wing positions. All four are quality players who, along with Rice, can get hot at any time. Their weakest player, IMO, is their center, Southern.

gw67
    Completely agree. They get physical defense, some rebounding, and generally foul trouble from the 5 spot, and nothing more.

Trapani is a poor-man's Singler. Their wings are solid (with the exception Sanders who can be quite good at times).

Rice, Trapani, and Sanders are the most dangerous players, but Raji and Jackson can produce as well.

Since they didn't play at all against UNC, is there a role or minutes for EWilliams and Plumlee against the BC personnel?

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Since they didn't play at all against UNC, is there a role or minutes for EWilliams and Plumlee against the BC personnel?
    I'm guessing that Plumlee and Williams didn't play against UNC simply because Coach K knew he was facing a team with superior talent, and so he wanted to go with the most prepared guys. BC is not nearly as talented as UNC, so I think we'll see Plumlee and Williams get a bit of time. But as far as there being a specific role for them, I'd say it's probably no more than the usual mid-tier ACC opponent.

I'm guessing that Plumlee and Williams didn't play against UNC simply because Coach K knew he was facing a team with superior talent, and so he wanted to go with the most prepared guys. BC is not nearly as talented as UNC, so I think we'll see Plumlee and Williams get a bit of time. But as far as there being a specific role for them, I'd say it's probably no more than the usual mid-tier ACC opponent.
    Let's hope they get big minutes in a Duke blowout!

Thanks for all the perspectives on BC. You guys seem to know your stuff so I'll take your word for it. They are the ACC team I know the least about.

let's not saddle this up as a win quite yet!! we're facing the SAME thing that killed us against UNC....and off-the-chart-crazy-get-any-shot-he-wants-speedy point guard...

we'd better bring the entire 40 mins...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    let's not saddle this up as a win quite yet!! we're facing the SAME thing that killed us against UNC....and off-the-chart-crazy-get-any-shot-he-wants-speedy point guard...

we'd better bring the entire 40 mins...
    I definitely didn't mean to imply that we have this game in the bag. Containing Rice is no easy task, that's for sure. And Sanders can be a force when he wants to be.

We should be favored, but BC can certainly give us trouble and beat us.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post

We probably should have called him before our last game. If Harvard > BC and BC > UNC, then, by the Transitive Law of Basketball, Harvard > UNC.

Sound legal reasoning.

Rice is a nasty shooter...

I definitely didn't mean to imply that we have this game in the bag. Containing Rice is no easy task, that's for sure. And Sanders can be a force when he wants to be.

We should be favored, but BC can certainly give us trouble and beat us.
    From a pure scoring point of view, Rice is better than Lawson. He isn't as fast as Lawson (is anyone?), but he can shoot the lights out of the ball. Considering that their post play isn't that great, probably best to play Rice tight. I can see Nolan having a huge role in this game.

Speaking of Nolan, I thought he had a decent game vs UNC. I hope I'm not the only who thought that. Also, I love it when Nolan goes one on one. He loves creating space near the top of the key and shooting a short jump shot. It's his marquee shot (like Duhon's floater).

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    From a pure scoring point of view, Rice is better than Lawson. He isn't as fast as Lawson (is anyone?), but he can shoot the lights out of the ball. Considering that their post play isn't that great, probably best to play Rice tight. I can see Nolan having a huge role in this game.

Speaking of Nolan, I thought he had a decent game vs UNC. I hope I'm not the only who thought that. Also, I love it when Nolan goes one on one. He loves creating space near the top of the key and shooting a short jump shot. It's his marquee shot (like Duhon's floater).
    I wonder if Duke will take a similar approach as they did vs. Davidson and Curry and throw multiple guys at Rice. Probably not worth doing it to the same extent as I'm sure BC has more options at other positions, but perhaps to a lesser degree they'll do something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post

It's even better than that.

N.J.I.T. > Bryant > Yale > Harvard > B.C. > U.N.C.

So, we clearly must figure out what clever recruiting scheme and substitution patter N.J.I.T. is following, and then we can win out for the season!

TV Coverage

Anyone know if this will be on TV in Central/North NJ?

It certainly would be if you had Directv, because a number of Fox Sports channels are carrying the game. The principal one is probably NESN. Check TitanTV after you tell it what cable/satellite service you have.