Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    No wonder it went "wee, wee, wee" all the way home.

I hope he's taking it easy, sitting around and eating lots of rich treats while he heals. Really, just chill Ty...have another piece of pie.

Lightbulb What is Ty's most important digit on his shooting hand?

With some Novocain he probably wouldn't feel anything or injure it further.
    Just kidding...sorta.

Best--Blueprofessor

P.S. It may be time to lock this thread before any intent to kill charges are identified by that hyper-vigilant UNC SID.

Talking Or maybe he could just throw down a few and drive his car

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I hope he's taking it easy, sitting around and eating lots of rich treats while he heals. Really, just chill Ty...have another piece of pie.
    ...with the speakers blasting at 1:30 in the morning.

Best---Blueprof

Game Announcers - I wish we had Gus Johnson

Greensboro- Jim Nantz, Clark Kellog
    Philadelphia- Dick Enberg, Carter Blackburn, Jay Bilas
    Kansas City- Tim Brando, Mike Gminski
    Portland- Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner
    Dayton- Verne Lundquist, Bill Raftery
    Miami- Ian Eagle, Jim Sparnarkel
    Minneapolis- Gus Johnson, Len Elmore
    Boise- Craig Bolerjack, Dan Wenzel

I wish we had Gus Johnson. Becasue as far as I am concerned he is Mr. March Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkiM3tBJVhk
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Greensboro- Jim Nantz, Clark Kellog
    Philadelphia- Dick Enberg, Carter Blackburn, Jay Bilas
    Kansas City- Tim Brando, Mike Gminski
    Portland- Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner
    Dayton- Verne Lundquist, Bill Raftery
    Miami- Ian Eagle, Jim Sparnarkel
    Minneapolis- Gus Johnson, Len Elmore
    Boise- Craig Bolerjack, Dan Wenzel

I wish we had Gus Johnson. Becasue as far as I am concerned he is Mr. March Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkiM3tBJVhk
    Thanks for the list. I think you mean Bob Wenzel. There is actually nobody on that list that I really can't stand listening to besides Elmore (so, I'm glad we don't have Gus even though I like his calls). I think CBS does a good job of getting the best announcers. I wonder why there is a team of three in Philly.

I think you'll rather enjoy watching Johnson call the North Dakota State upset over Kansas, though. Seriously, I don't know if they'll pull it off, but there's at least a pretty good chance it's an exciting game: NDSU is a very dangerous 14 seed, senior-laden with a superclutch leader, and they jack it up from downtown a lot. They're hitting something like 42% of their threes this year, and they're playing a couple hours from campus with a decent local alumni base. That sounds like something Johnson will relish if it turns into an actual game.

Personally, I cannot stand listening to Gus Johnson. I don't begrudge others their enjoyment of him - his level of excitement is just too over the top for my tastes. He seems to act like every second half basket is the greatest clutch shot miracle he's ever seen. There's also something about his cadence and the way he lingers on or emphasizes various syllables that totally gets under my skin. Can't really explain in written words, I guess, but I know he'd drive me up the wall if we got into a tight one in either of the first two rounds. So I'm glad he's not in Greensboro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I think you'll rather enjoy watching Johnson call the North Dakota State upset over Kansas, though. Seriously, I don't know if they'll pull it off, but there's at least a pretty good chance it's an exciting game: NDSU is a very dangerous 14 seed, senior-laden with a superclutch leader, and they jack it up from downtown a lot. They're hitting something like 42% of their threes this year, and they're playing a couple hours from campus with a decent local alumni base. That sounds like something Johnson will relish if it turns into an actual game.

Personally, I cannot stand listening to Gus Johnson. I don't begrudge others their enjoyment of him - his level of excitement is just too over the top for my tastes. He seems to act like every second half basket is the greatest clutch shot miracle he's ever seen. There's also something about his cadence and the way he lingers on or emphasizes various syllables that totally gets under my skin. Can't really explain in written words, I guess, but I know he'd drive me up the wall if we got into a tight one in either of the first two rounds. So I'm glad he's not in Greensboro.
    If Gus Johnson is announcing, you are interested in the game. North Dakota State vs Kansas, who really cares. Gus Johnson makes you care. In reality I'm only interested in 1.5% of the first round games. But I hope I'm watching when North Dakota State upsets Kansas if Gus Johnson is announcing it.
    ~rthomas

Batista with the CATCH!!!!!!!!!

Gus Johnson is awesome. His passion is great. My personal favorite announcer. That said, I'm happy he's not our commentator. He would, without question, exacerbate my already on-going heart attack.

Gus was arrested Saturday in Memphis...but it looks as if no charges were filed, so he should still be covering the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Gus was arrested Saturday in Memphis...but it looks as if no charges were filed, so he should still be covering the game.
    http://thebiglead.com/?p=12503

Hadn't heard that, Mike, but was able to find this mention; sounds like a bit of an argument at a restaurant.

By the way, it's pretty neat that of the Sweet (sounding) Sixteen (or 17) broadcasters, 3 are Dukies, or 4 if you count Wenzel's gig as an asst. coach.

Gus Johnson = Upset

While I suppose that his presence could ignore Duke's 2 games and focus mainly on that other local team's games, I think that given Gus Johnson's uncanny history of being on hand to call so many upsets in the past should be a good sign for Duke fans. I would be nervous if I tuned in on Saturday evening to hear Gus Johnson announcing the lineups for Duke-Texas/Minnesota.

Smile The Two Lead Stories

(1) Duke is drawing the #1 announcing team, which will get familiar with Duke to prepare for the FF. Surely the presence of UNC had nothing to do with it.

(2) On the eight announcing teams, there are four Duke guys: three players/alumni (G-man, Bilas, and Spanarkel) and one coach (Wenzel).

sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 03-18-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

(2) On the eight announcing teams, there are four Duke guys: three players/alumni (G-man, Bilas, and Spanarkel) and one coach (Wenzel).

sagegrouse
    OK, now we know about the wight announcing teams, when do we find out about the weft announcing teams??

Sorry, it was too good a softball to pass up!
    Last edited by mgtr; 03-18-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Aww gee, you fixed it before I could grab the quote!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://thebiglead.com/?p=12503

Hadn't heard that, Mike, but was able to find this mention; sounds like a bit of an argument at a restaurant.
    Would have enjoyed hearing the play-by-play for that one. Dickie V: "He's a high-riser and a high-flyer, a PTPer baybee!!!" Followed by Tim Brando "The iron was unkind!" Then Dick Enberg: "Oh! My!" Along with Jay's "He's got chops!" And Kellog echoing those sentiments "Not only that, but he's got spurtability." Then when it was all over and they shook hands, Raftery says "Oooh, the KISS."

I wonder why there is a team of three in Philly.

Just in case Bilas gets into another arguement, there will a third person to break up the possible fight.

Who will be at the game?

Who's going? Does anybody have a meeting place?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I saw a live interview with Roy on ESPN about two hours ago. He said that unless there "something significant" happened soon (whatever that means), Lawson would not be playing.

He said that Lawson was shooting around and doing dummy drills, but hadn't gone against any live competition, and the toe is still touch and go. He said that he wasn't going to risk anything, and that it would NOT be left up to Ty. I really wonder if he hurt something in it worse during the game a couple weeks ago, and just didn't notice becuase of the shots.
    Dummy drills. Heh-heh-heh

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    And a BBQ sammich from Stamey's, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    This is meant for all the BBQ that Stamey's serves, correct?