Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    I doubt we would be looking at so many other elite guards in the same class if K thought he was the sole answer at point. Having a Dockery-like player to provide depth in his first few seasons, and perhaps become a solid senior starter, would be quite valuable to the team. Plus, who knows if Josh Hairston would have committed without his buddy Tyler also coming to Duke.
    That's what I think Thornton is supposed to be. The other PG we hopefully pick up this year (bledsoe) or next year (Knight, McCallum, Irving, etc..) should be our projected star pg from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "If Duke got all three (I know, unlikely) in addition to the other 2010 commits, that would be a six man class. Could Duke bring in a class that big? "

Not unless Duke strikes out this spring and has some attrition. Excluding the class of 2010 Duke currently has eight scholarship committments for the 2010-11 season; Kelly, Plumlee, and Curry; Williams, Plumlee, and Czyz; and Singler and Smith.

Singler to the NBA after his junior year would free up a scholarship, as would a transfer; A Wall signing followed by NBA-after-one season would have no impact. A Bledsoe signing would have an impact.

Duke and Irving certainly have a mutual interest but I am not certain that Irving has a firm offer. I can see no logical reason why Duke would expect or even want to sign Bledsoe, Knight, and Irving, to go along with Dawkins, Thornton, Curry, Williams, and Smith. There are only so many minutes and so many touches to go around.
    The duke.scout.com site show seven offers outstanding for the class of '10. What are the rules on this? Can you make more offers than scholarships available? Is it made clear to the kids that if x number of other kids commit before he does that the offer would be withdrawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    The duke.scout.com site show seven offers outstanding for the class of '10. What are the rules on this? Can you make more offers than scholarships available? Is it made clear to the kids that if x number of other kids commit before he does that the offer would be withdrawn?
    These things usually solve themselves. For example, if Knight committed, Irving won't. If Big Man A commits, Big Man C will look elsewhere. If not, then an honorable Coach like K would inform the player that a player at that position had committed, and then explain his ideas for how they could (or not) coexist. But that rarely happens. Sort of a first come, first served with a few minor tweaks. ie Irving could commit, but K would find a place for Knight should he commit.

Teams are certainly free to offer as many players as they want. For fun times, look at the offer lists of struggling teams in BCS conferences where they have basically offered entire teams of players.

Once upon a time, Duke would only offer a select few players, secure in the knowledge that we would get most of them. That hasn't been the case lately, and K seems to wisely be casting a wider net. Since you can't be sure of committs, you almost have to make more offers that you have schollies. Sign of the times.

Worst case scenario, you have to call a kid who is still considering you, but not yet committed, and tell him that your roster is full going forward, and wish him luck. The player then "drops" that team from consideration, saving face for everyone concerned.

Kyrie Irving's Recruitment

rivals has an encouraging headline up about kyrie irving

http://duke.rivals.com/barrier_noent...tid=&mid=&rid=
    Last edited by Bob Green; 05-10-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Spell recruit's name correctly

i may be wrong but i believe it was watzone that said irving doesnt actually have a sholarship offer yet... he sounds like a good player but i thought that was just scout.com being misinformed... does anyone know if his scholarship offer has been confirmed by anyone but scout.com?

Quote Originally Posted by sfinleyo View Post
    i may be wrong but i believe it was watzone that said irving doesnt actually have a sholarship offer yet... he sounds like a good player but i thought that was just scout.com being misinformed... does anyone know if his scholarship offer has been confirmed by anyone but scout.com?
    I think it is one of those cases where he hasn't been officially offered, but he knows the offer is there.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I think it is one of those cases where he hasn't been officially offered, but he knows the offer is there.
    http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/01/k...na-at-the-top/

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    Glad to see we're up there on his list. Duke doesn't have a journalism major, but that didn't stop the huge number of Duke grads with careers in that field.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    Per that article, the lead recruiter for Indiana on Irving is none other than . . . Roshow McLeod! Say it ain't so Ro.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Per that article, the lead recruiter for Indiana on Irving is none other than . . . Roshow McLeod! Say it ain't so Ro.

Time to poach Roshown from Indiana!

jk

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post

jk
    When Johnny Dawkins bolted for Palo Alto, Krzyzewski could've hired Roshown McLeod, but he instead opted for Nate James.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    That's what SOME coaches would do . . .
    Last edited by Bob Green; 06-02-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Hey Kyrie, interested in basketball journalism? Nobody else comes close.

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=3746662

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Hey Kyrie, interested in basketball journalism? Nobody else comes close.

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=3746662
    So will all these ex-Dukies still be around this weekend when Barnes shows up?

Is it a recruiting violation if any of them talk to Barnes?

ricks

These things usually solve themselves. For example, if Knight committed, Irving won't. If Big Man A commits, Big Man C will look elsewhere.
    See: Josh McRoberts commited, Tyler Hansbrough looked elsewhere...
    Sigh.

I know Knight Personally and read some of his interviews please stop saying he is one and done he's never said that before and we're just assuming due to his great basketball ability. He is a great STUDENT- Athlete and cares about education. Not saying he will stay four years but he is not a for sure one and done.
    Last edited by Welcome2DaSlopes; 06-05-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    I know Knight Personally and read some of his interviews please stop saying he is one and done he's never said that before and we're just assuming due to his great basketball ability.
    Relax. It's perfectly normal for people to assume the #1 player in their class won't be around college too long. He hasn't said very much at all about his recruitment, therefore people are going to speculate.

i dont think so

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Poptart View Post
    See: Josh McRoberts commited, Tyler Hansbrough looked elsewhere...
    Sigh.
    mcroberts commitment had nothing to do with hansbrough... duke went hard after josh. unc went after tyler.

http://twitter.com/kyrieirving

On my way to "fill in the blank" for an unofficial visit...hope it's ready for me to step on campus jk let's get it
    about 22 hours ago from mobile web