Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Irving is looking good.
    You watch the game on ESPN? What's the scouting report look like? How did he do? Anyone else see it?

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    You watch the game on ESPN? What's the scouting report look like? How did he do? Anyone else see it?
    Steals, blocks, fast breaks, good speed, defense, smooth, good outside shot. Can't even compare him to anyone right now but oh my goodness -he's good. Kinda real smooth like with Nolan in high school b/c he's on such a stacked team.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    He played within the flow of the game and really did take any bad shots or make too many bad plays. It seems to be Dexter Stricklands team this year but I could see Kyrie stepping up to be the go to guy next year along with Gilchrist (#1 sophomore in the nation).

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    He played within the flow of the game and really did take any bad shots or make too many bad plays. It seems to be Dexter Stricklands team this year but I could see Kyrie stepping up to be the go to guy next year along with Gilchrist (#1 sophomore in the nation).

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/24/g...nd/#more-13870

Irving won the state title, scored 26, got the MVP...oh, and Roy Williams managed to be there.

I don't even care if he can play; there are at least two non-ability reasons we need to get this guy:

1. Greek and Latin singage possibilities for the Crazies would be endless.

2. The possibility of Mr. Mister making it into the band's repertoire.
    Last edited by Mal; 03-24-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Dude! Johnny D posting status!

What's the deal with Eric Bledsoe? Does the recruiting of Irving mean anything about Bledsoe?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke09 View Post
    What's the deal with Eric Bledsoe? Does the recruiting of Irving mean anything about Bledsoe?
    It means we are recruiting multiple players. Some posters frequently complain about Coach K putting "all his eggs in one basket" or not having a backup plan, but the reality is that Duke routinely recruits multiple players. The current situation is not an anomaly it is the norm.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    According to that, his top ten does not include UNC, who has been recruiting him. Glad to see Duke in that list, particularly with the way you guys describe him.

As I read this thread, I'm thinking that Duke offering an 8th grader would have been a good April Fool's Day hoax story.

Duke has offered Irving, and is at least in the running for Knight and Barnes. If Duke got all three (I know, unlikely) in addition to the other 2010 commits, that would be a six man class. Could Duke bring in a class that big?

"If Duke got all three (I know, unlikely) in addition to the other 2010 commits, that would be a six man class. Could Duke bring in a class that big? "

Not unless Duke strikes out this spring and has some attrition. Excluding the class of 2010 Duke currently has eight scholarship committments for the 2010-11 season; Kelly, Plumlee, and Curry; Williams, Plumlee, and Czyz; and Singler and Smith.

Singler to the NBA after his junior year would free up a scholarship, as would a transfer; A Wall signing followed by NBA-after-one season would have no impact. A Bledsoe signing would have an impact.

Duke and Irving certainly have a mutual interest but I am not certain that Irving has a firm offer. I can see no logical reason why Duke would expect or even want to sign Bledsoe, Knight, and Irving, to go along with Dawkins, Thornton, Curry, Williams, and Smith. There are only so many minutes and so many touches to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Duke and Irving certainly have a mutual interest but I am not certain that Irving has a firm offer. I can see no logical reason why Duke would expect or even want to sign Bledsoe, Knight, and Irving, to go along with Dawkins, Thornton, Curry, Williams, and Smith. There are only so many minutes and so many touches to go around.
    I was thinking the same thing. I can't imagine Duke would want/hope to add three PG's from the 2010 class. Thornton has already verballed, and Knight and Irving have offers (or at least Duke has shown interest). It will be interesting to see how it unfolds and who in fact does matriculate. The good news is that it seems likely that Duke will add multiple PG's in the next two years, with some combination of Wall, Bledsoe, Thornton, Knight, and Irving.

Saw Thornton play

i don't think he is a point guard..

Quote Originally Posted by dgoore97 View Post
    i don't think he is a point guard..
    You saw Tyler Thornton from Gonzaga in DC play and you don't think he is a point? If you want to say you are not sure if he is an all-ACC caliber point that is one thing but he is a point. Without a doubt. I have seen him play with his high school and his AAU team, which had a sick amount of talent. In both situations he had the ball in his hands and knows how to run a team. I might agree with you if you asked "Is he the answer at the point?" But he is without a doubt a point! I have also seen Irving and he is by far the better player.

ok

point taken. i only watched him briefly. maybe i should adjust my response to be i don't think he is the answer for us at point. never seen kyrie irving play, but i went to the hs he transferred from, MKA, and i would say, coming from there, he is definitely qualified academically.

I live in DC and like Thornton but don't really see him as the anwer. Could be very solid by his junior year but not the offensive player we are looking for. Reminds me in some ways of a Dockery type of player. He still has some time and on his HS team his offensive production was better than I thought it would be. He has some time to develop into more of a threat on the offensive end. I saw Irving for a week last summer at a camp and my only concern for the ACC was his size. He is a little bigger now and can flat out do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdukie View Post
    I live in DC and like Thornton but don't really see him as the anwer. Could be very solid by his junior year but not the offensive player we are looking for. Reminds me in some ways of a Dockery type of player. He still has some time and on his HS team his offensive production was better than I thought it would be. He has some time to develop into more of a threat on the offensive end. I saw Irving for a week last summer at a camp and my only concern for the ACC was his size. He is a little bigger now and can flat out do it.
    One scout who reported on Thornton used his name and "perennial back-up" in the same sentence. He's a safety net. A guy we know will be there for his college career. Considering Duke's interest in a wide range of other PGs (Irving, Wall, Bledsoe, Knight) I think the coaching staff recognizes his limitations.

We made the Cut!

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/04/28/k...ing-cuts-list/

Obviously this list is still massive

Georgia Tech
    Duke
    Indiana
    Seton Hall
    Texas A&M
    Maryland
    Pittsburgh
    Notre Dame
    Florida
    Marquette
    Kentucky

But good news none the less

Quote Originally Posted by mcdukie View Post
    I doubt we would be looking at so many other elite guards in the same class if K thought he was the sole answer at point. Having a Dockery-like player to provide depth in his first few seasons, and perhaps become a solid senior starter, would be quite valuable to the team. Plus, who knows if Josh Hairston would have committed without his buddy Tyler also coming to Duke.