Thread: CIS Air?

CIS Air?

The announcers stated that it was very warm and humid in Cameron last night and that the air conditioning was not on. There was a lot of slipping that cost us several possessions.

Were the announcers correct, or was the air on but not effective? (Hey, maybe Vitale and Patrick got something right!)

If the air was off, whose decision was it to leave the air off? Was it a good decision?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bob Harris said that water was dripping in the crows nest, and he assumed it was on the floor as well, which is why they were mopping so often. He didn't know if it was from the rain outside, or condensation from the AC. But if it was the latter then the AC was on.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I heard from a friend who is a senior that it didn't feel like there was AC on... not sure if that's what actually happened or if all those people jammed into a small space makes it warmer naturally, but regardless those players couldn't get a solid grip on the court. I'm not sure I remember it being that bad in a while. Also, the Raycom announcers noted the same thing (yay G-Man!)

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Bob Harris said that water was dripping in the crows nest, and he assumed it was on the floor as well, which is why they were mopping so often. He didn't know if it was from the rain outside, or condensation from the AC. But if it was the latter then the AC was on.
    Or from announcers in the crows nest sweating profusely. That wouldn't be too surprising. Vitale strategically picked his shirt this time to not show the sweat though. Wise move.

The air was not on. It has not been that hot in Cameron in about 5 years, which was pre-air. The lower bowl was packed with people. And I do mean packed. Students were standing sideways in order to fit more people in.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    The air was not on. It has not been that hot in Cameron in about 5 years, which was pre-air. The lower bowl was packed with people. And I do mean packed. Students were standing sideways in order to fit more people in.
    The weather conditions added to the building's retained heat... highs around 70 degrees. My car thermometer read 69 degrees about 11:00P.

Sliding on the floor seems to go with the high temperature inside. Before AC it was common in many games. We've been fortunate over the years that no one suffered a major injury because of the slick places on the floor. (At least I don't remember any major injuries from it.)

For those who didn't recognize me last night, Cameron was so hot my hair was as wet as Singler's. It's been years since it got that hot inside.

Two rows behind me was an 8 yo boy attending the game as a part of the Make a Wish Foundation's efforts. A salute to Jack Winters for granting this wish.

The air went in in 2001, I believe.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

The wet floors also cost us two major possessions late when we were trying to make a comeback run and first Scheyer then Henderson slipped.

I have no idea whether the AC was actually on or not, but everyone I talked to in the lower bowl seemed to think that it wasn't. All I know is that it was HOT in there.

Quote Originally Posted by VAGentleman05 View Post
    I have no idea whether the AC was actually on or not, but everyone I talked to in the lower bowl seemed to think that it wasn't. All I know is that it was HOT in there.
    I expected it to be hot because of the high daytime temperature, and it was. Most everyone in the upper bowl thought the air was off also. At halftime, my shirt was so sweat-soaked that it looked like I had been playing golf in 90+ temps, but we were ahead and I didn't care. If it was a conscious decision to leave the air off, strategically it back fired in the second half.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Warm temperatures throughout the day + packed house + early arriving crowd = sweatbox

If the AC was on it certainly was overwhelmed. I was walking in the concourse at halftime you could feel the air blowing up from outside at each of the stairwells. It was probably still 65 degrees at that time of the night but that air felt like it was in the mid 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The air went in in 2001, I believe.
    I think that the Pepsi 152 has gone to your head. The air didn't go in until around 2002 or 2003.

Edit: Perhaps it has gone to my head... GoDuke says it was added in 01-02, but that doesn't seem right to me. A further google search has multiple reports that it was added in 02-03. Hmmmm...

Sources disagree

I think that the Pepsi 152 has gone to your head. The air didn't go in until around 2002 or 2003.

Edit: Perhaps it has gone to my head... GoDuke says it was added in 01-02, but that doesn't seem right to me. A further google search has multiple reports that it was added in 02-03. Hmmmm...
    Several sites, including GoDuke.com says it was installed for the 2001-2002 season:
    http://raleighdurham.about.com/od/co...ron-Indoor.htm
    http://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArti...&ATCLID=218099

However, another source says it was installed prior to 2002-2003 season:
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/102449/

they could both be correct. I seem to recall that they had the air handlers on the roof but everything wasn't completely connected until the following season. i don't remember which years (they seem to start blurring for me lately... i must be getting older)... but that could be your explanation.

I for one was glad that there was no air on wednesday night if that was in fact the case. That's how it should be in Cameron. no air... toughens you up. if that WAS the case.. it's not the hottest it's been in there... the '95 double overtime game was much hotter... and i don't get hot.. (luckily for me then when I was there)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

What I'm remembering is Coach K discussing it being about to be added at Carolina Eve in 2001. Which would mean it was ready to go for the 2001-02 season, because they can't do that sort of thing during the season.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine