Slam Dunk Contest and JJ not in the 3-ball Comp?

Well the slam dunk contest was kinda lame. Rudy Fernandez got robbed. His behind the backboard dunk was insane. Nate's dunk over Dwight Howard was the best of the night, IMO. Other than those two dunks I was unimpressed.

Second, why has JJ never been invited to compete in the 3-point shootout? Are they scared he would dominate? What are the credentials needed to be invited? It seems like the NBA would want one of their best shooters (regardless of PT or popularity) to compete in this event.

JJ Redick is not a starter for the Magic, therefore he does not receive as much attention as the others. He only averages about 15 minutes out of the 60 in the game. Also, he hasn't attempted as many shots as his teammates. Maybe in the next couple of years when he improves.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Second, why has JJ never been invited to compete in the 3-point shootout? Are they scared he would dominate? What are the credentials needed to be invited? It seems like the NBA would want one of their best shooters (regardless of PT or popularity) to compete in this event.
    I'm not sure what the criteria is, but when you compare JJ to this year's participants, it makes sense why he wasn't invited.

JJ is currently shooting 40% from 3-point range this season. That's lower than each of the other participants except Granger (who also shoots 40%). Granger, however, is a star in the NBA. Further, the Magic were represented by Rashard Lewis (18.5 ppg and shooting 41.5% from 3).

Lewis, is my guess

I thought JJ should have been in it, as well. Is there anything about having 2 guys from the same team in the contest? R. Lewis was the runner-up last night, and I thought I heard someone mention he had made the most 3's this year (or maybe 2nd most). If it was him or JJ, I can see them going with Lewis. Hopefully next year.

Compared to the dud of a contest it was this year, there's no reason JJ shouldn't be in it. I bet he'd dominate the contest given its format. The only reason he isn't shooting a higher percentage is because, well, he has to face a defense.

JJ Redick is not a starter for the Magic, therefore he does not receive as much attention as the others. He only averages about 15 minutes out of the 60 in the game. Also, he hasn't attempted as many shots as his teammates. Maybe in the next couple of years when he improves.
    There are only 48 minutes in an NBA game. That aside, I am also guessing that Redick was passed over because of Lewis and because of a lower overall shooting percentage than the other contestants.

He will remain hidden as long as his coach wants that to be the case. I know Orlando has a capable crew of guards ahead of Redick, but it's absolutely ridiculous Redick doesn't pick up consistent minutes. It's outrageous. When he gets stable time, he's lights out. It's the Taylor King-like two minute "show us what you got" stints that are killing his confidence and stroke percentage. Most shooters can't come in pressured off the bench late in games and be expected to perform on the spot.

Ah well. Life ain't too great right now for Duke.