Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's your fav Duke/UNC-CH game of the past

February 24, 1979: #6 Duke 47, #4 North Carolina 40
    Jim Spanarkel’s Senior Day game turned into one of the strangest afternoons in ACC basketball history as Duke held North Carolina scoreless for a half before knocking off the No. 4-ranked Tar Heels 47-40. North Carolina's only two shots of the first half were air balls ( some one sent them a metal detector at half so they might find the rim ). The Tar Heels held the ball throughout the first half, but Duke led 7-0 as Spanarkel forced two turnovers, assisted on a basket to Mike Gminski and scored the last bucket of the half on a short jumper. The senior guard added 15 points in the second half and finished with a game-high 17, hitting 8-of-9 field goal attempts. The win allowed Duke to tie North Carolina for the ACC regular season title.

February 28, 1981: Duke 66, #11 North Carolina 65 (OT)
    Duke struggled in its first season under Coach Mike Krzyzewski, going 17-13 overall and 6-8 in the ACC. However, the Blue Devils' regular-season finale was one to remember. On Senior Night, Duke's Gene Banks put on a tuxedo and threw roses to the crowd at Cameron Indoor Stadium before the game. North Carolina controlled the game early, then went scoreless over a four-minute stretch of the second half to allow Duke to take a 46-45 lead late in regulation. The Tar Heels fought back to go ahead 50-49, and the teams traded baskets until two Sam Perkins free throws gave Carolina a 58-56 lead with two seconds to play. Duke inbounded to midcourt and called time out with one second left. Banks took the inbounds pass pass from Kenny Denard, who faked to the right ( Carolina always goes for fakes ) and nailed a jumper at the buzzer to force overtime. The Blue Devils took a 62-59 lead early in the extra session, but North Carolina rallied to take a 65-64 lead on the strength of an Al Wood jumper and two free throws by Mike Pepper. Duke's Vince Taylor misfired on a short jumper, but Banks rebounded and banked home the game-winner with 19 seconds to go. Banks led Duke with 25 points.

What's yours ?

GTHC GTH

I have two favorites. 2004: Duke 83 UNC 81 and 2005 Duke 71 UNC 70.

I watched the game in 2004 with a big group of friends. It was my senior year in high school and out of the 10-12 people watching the game there were only 2 of us rooting for Duke. I was wearing a #21 jersey in honor of Duhon (although it started out a Langdon jersey), and after he made the game winning layup I just stood up in the room with my hands in the air, smiling and clenching my fists. I don't think I said anything for 5 minutes. I just took in the moment.

In 2005 I tented and the atmosphere was unreal. It took me the better part of the 1st half to realize that I was really watching a Duke-Carolina game in Cameron. When the ball was dribbled out of bounds Cameron exploded. It was deafeningly loud.

Honorable mention goes to the 2001 beatdown at the ACC Tournament. The Tar Heel faithful were headed for the exits at the 12 minute mark in the 2nd half. Shortly thereafter we started leaving our seats too...but we were going to buy Championship shirts

Jay's No. 2 game: No. 1 Duke v. No. 3 North Carolina, March 2, 1986. Duke wins 82-74. Johnny D speaks after the game to the assembled throng with one profound line of verse: "Nothing could be finer than beating Carolina."

I was there for the '79 game in Cameron. That was special!

My favorite is the '01 game at the dean dome. We went in wounded and tore them up. Favorite play was Battier's block of a break away dunk. I grin from ear to ear whenever I think of that play.

-2001 at the Dean Dome was amazing on so many levels, especially because I thought we were done after Boozer broke his foot.

-1999 at the Dean Dome was a hugely satisfying beat down because our recent run of futility at the Dome had been so severe. Also, we hadn't thumped them like I expected us to in the first meeting at home. Thankfully, we also opened up a big can on them in the ACC final that year.

-It's funny how recent years have seen a big flip-flop, we win at the Dome and lose at home. I can't decide which is the greater feeling - the pain of losing to them at home or the joy of beating them in the Dome. These Dome wins of late have been very sweet....Duhon's coast to coast, JJ's step back 3, the torrent of 3s that marked last year's win (Lawson or no Lawson).

It's so hard to pick a favorite.... it's like trying to pick out the best chocolate out of a box of exquisite Godiva chocolates. Among those I'd consider favorites, there is a theme: a Duke player, particularly a senior, scores a season/career high number of points to beat Carolina. I immediately think of Art Heyman and Gene Banks.

Art Heyman's performances against Carolina were especially satisfying since Duke out hustled Carolina to land a player destined to create a reference point in the battle for best recruits and in the development of a nationally ranked program at Duke.

Gene Banks career at Duke was another reference point for the program. His final game was a doozie complete with roses thrown to the crowd.

A third player who generally played well against Carolina was Danny Ferry, also a recruit who grew up a Carolina fan, was heavily recruited by Carolina, but chose Duke and never looked back.

If there's a second theme in my favorite games, it's the role of recruits who chose Duke over Carolina and how those players then play a major role in beating Carolina.

Thanks for mentioning Seniors, DiBD, I totally forgot one of my all time favorites involving my all time favorite - C-Well!

His Senior Day, he led the team to a sweet W and walked off the court, ball held high in one hand, as the Crazies crushed in around him and walked him to the locker room hallway...the ball extended in his hand being the primary thing one could see from the TV vantage point. I'd pay $$ to have a photo of that scene playing out.

9F! 9F! 9F!

Two favorite ones:

1. Dean Dome in 2004, Duhon coast to coast. Being in the building for that sitting among the Rams Club in full Duke gear is something I won't ever forget.
    2. 2004. The final game I saw as a student in Cameron. I just remember McCants losing the ball, JJ falling on it and calling timeout and seeing myself jump 10 feet into the air and turning to some of my fellow seniors and just hugging and crying tears of joy. I looked up at the scoreboard and realized that that was it. It was my final game as a student in Cameron, and my fellow seniors and I were about to go out with a victory over UNC.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Devil In A Blue Dress,, your reference to Art Heyman, brought back another memory of a great Duke WIN over unc-ch.. I think it was 1966, ACC tourney,, as we recall, only ONE team could make the NCAA tourney from the conference back then,, I think it was the simi finals and Duke was the heavy favorite. Jack Marin, Bob Verga and Mike Lewis.. unc-ch once again, held the ball because they couldn't compete.. Lewis sank two free throws in the final seconds to seal the 21-20 win and advance to the finals ,, we won.

Anyone remember the details of the,, 1971 win over unc-ch ?? Rick Katherman, "the Manchester Rifle" ?

I have a special place reserved for the 97 win at Cameron. Duke wins 80-73 behind seven threes and 28 pts from Trajan. Ends a real nasty losing streak. The first win over UNC I saw in person. Begins an era of dominance over the Heels.

My favorite one would have to be January 22, 1972 when Duke wasn't very good and the Holes were #1 in the nation. They came into Cameron(I think it was renamed Cameron by then) with Robert McAdoo and Dennis Wuycik. but Duke had Robby West who hit a shot from the top of the key with 3 seconds left and Duke won 76-74. I redmember it well as it was my junior year in high school I was in the stands with my father(who has since past away) yelling my head off. McAdoo couldn't hit a thing that day and Wuycik missed the last shot from the corner and the place exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    February 24, 1979: #6 Duke 47, #4 North Carolina 40
    Jim Spanarkel’s Senior Day game turned into one of the strangest afternoons in ACC basketball history as Duke held North Carolina scoreless for a half before knocking off the No. 4-ranked Tar Heels 47-40. North Carolina's only two shots of the first half were air balls ( some one sent them a metal detector at half so they might find the rim ). The Tar Heels held the ball throughout the first half, but Duke led 7-0 as Spanarkel forced two turnovers, assisted on a basket to Mike Gminski and scored the last bucket of the half on a short jumper. The senior guard added 15 points in the second half and finished with a game-high 17, hitting 8-of-9 field goal attempts. The win allowed Duke to tie North Carolina for the ACC regular season title.

February 28, 1981: Duke 66, #11 North Carolina 65 (OT)
    Duke struggled in its first season under Coach Mike Krzyzewski, going 17-13 overall and 6-8 in the ACC. However, the Blue Devils' regular-season finale was one to remember. On Senior Night, Duke's Gene Banks put on a tuxedo and threw roses to the crowd at Cameron Indoor Stadium before the game. North Carolina controlled the game early, then went scoreless over a four-minute stretch of the second half to allow Duke to take a 46-45 lead late in regulation. The Tar Heels fought back to go ahead 50-49, and the teams traded baskets until two Sam Perkins free throws gave Carolina a 58-56 lead with two seconds to play. Duke inbounded to midcourt and called time out with one second left. Banks took the inbounds pass pass from Kenny Denard, who faked to the right ( Carolina always goes for fakes ) and nailed a jumper at the buzzer to force overtime. The Blue Devils took a 62-59 lead early in the extra session, but North Carolina rallied to take a 65-64 lead on the strength of an Al Wood jumper and two free throws by Mike Pepper. Duke's Vince Taylor misfired on a short jumper, but Banks rebounded and banked home the game-winner with 19 seconds to go. Banks led Duke with 25 points.

What's yours ?

GTHC GTH
    I was a student (and attendee) during both of these games so I am partial to your choices. I was standing about two and a half inches away from Rich Yonokur's ear as he stood in his one of the four corners in that half. I was screaming as loud as I could and couldn't hear myself. The Gene Banks game was the only time in my four years that we stormed the court.

But there are so many (including but not limited to these two), it's really hard to choose if you had to pick one.

Exclamation How could you all leave out the most improbable win of all time?

I guess you had to be there, as I don't think it was televised back in those ancient pre Coach K days:

Freddie, Freddie, Freddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress, you need to educate most of the young un's, as most of the posters on this board were not even a twinkle in their parents' eyes when it happened.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I guess you had to be there, as I don't think it was televised back in those ancient pre Coach K days:

Freddie, Freddie, Freddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress, you need to educate most of the young un's, as most of the posters on this board were not even a twinkle in their parents' eyes when it happened.

ricks
    Yes it was televised because I remember watching it on TV. I also remember Fred Lind saying that it was something about those tarheels that just turned him on to play. I remember the triple overtime game in which Dave Goldman injured his jaw in nasty fall which Duke won by the way with Fred Lind's help.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I also vote for the 1968 triple overtime win. It was definitely televised under sponsorship from Pilot-Life. I watched every second and have fond memories indeed.
    Bob Green

1. 1968 I was there as a 14 yr old Duke fan.
    2. 1963 Art Heyman senior day 40 points 24 rebounds its in the record books Duke fans.I don't think that statistic will ever come close to being surpassed. No 3 pointers either and Hall of Famer the Kangaroo Kid Billy Cunningham defending in the paint.
    3 1972 Robby West's clutch shot
    4. the Elton Brand Wojo McCleod comeback victory was it 98? sorry I think the Bubas years are constantly overlooked.
    72 might have been a Bucky Waters team not a time for me to fact check

17. UNC @ Duke, 2/28/98

Coach K came out of the locker room at half time with his tie gone! I've always remembered that game vividly and was thrilled to learn that ESPN Classic aired it yesterday. I now have it recorded!

The Duke-UNC ACC championship game in 2001. That was before the wheels fully fell off the Matty Doh wagon...but we completely smoked them. It was a complete beatdown and Dick Vitale was calling out Carolina for quitting.

Sorry...having a moment...tearing up a little at the pure joy of that memory

Here is some early light on the Art Heyman Larry Brown Donnie Walsh fight in '61 I hope this doesn't upstage Featherston's story but this is from Art Heyman.

http://bloomideas.blogspot.com/2006/...rt-heyman.html

I have to go with the game at Cameron in '95 (I think) when K was out and our boys were not having success. The game I'm thinking of included the half-court 3 by Capel at the end of regulation or 1OT that kept us going. Even though we lost that game, it holds a special place in my heart because it really showed the desire, heart, guts, etc. that exemplify Duke Ball.

As I recall, Carolina was highly ranked, maybe even #1, while our boys were struggling with a 5-200 record or something. On paper, the Holes should have blown us out of the gym badly. I was so proud of the way our guys fought and darn-near won the game.

Fist, baby!