Duke staff story

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And a shout out to DukeDiv2013's parent who are lurking on the DBR. Can they add to the status check thread. The gauntlet has been thrown down.
    Devildeac threw down the gauntlet to me yesterday. This is my first post, although I am a habitual stalker. Not only can I add to the status thread, I can trump yours!

Yesterday at church my good friend Reese Edwards, who has called several Duke games in the past when Bob Harris had to be away, told me of a heartwarming story regarding the Duke staff. One of our dear members who is blind has been having trouble with his hearing of late. For a blind person, hearing loss can be a very frightening thing. This gentleman is an avid fan and listens to the radio broadcasts for every game. Reese contacted the Duke staff and asked them to create an audio message of encouragement for our friend. Bob Harris, John Roth, Matthew Laurance, and Coach K all taped messages to our friend. When Reese went to visit him and played the messages for him, our friend wept openly and could not believe they would do this for him. This classy, thoughtful gesture is the reason I am and will forever be a Duke fan. So here in Raleigh, my status is all smiles!

Quote Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post
    Devildeac threw down the gauntlet to me yesterday. This is my first post, although I am a habitual stalker. Not only can I add to the status thread, I can trump yours!

Yesterday at church my good friend Reese Edwards, who has called several Duke games in the past when Bob Harris had to be away, told me of a heartwarming story regarding the Duke staff. One of our dear members who is blind has been having trouble with his hearing of late. For a blind person, hearing loss can be a very frightening thing. This gentleman is an avid fan and listens to the radio broadcasts for every game. Reese contacted the Duke staff and asked them to create an audio message of encouragement for our friend. Bob Harris, John Roth, Matthew Laurance, and Coach K all taped messages to our friend. When Reese went to visit him and played the messages for him, our friend wept openly and could not believe they would do this for him. This classy, thoughtful gesture is the reason I am and will forever be a Duke fan. So here in Raleigh, my status is all smiles!
    Marmaduke, welcome to the board. Hope you'll post often. And thank you for sharing such a great story.

This story brought a huge smile to my face and a warmth in my heart. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog44 View Post
    This story brought a huge smile to my face and a warmth in my heart. Thank you for sharing.
    My living room suddenly got very, very dusty.

Thanks for sharing that.

What a fantastic story. Whether Duke is winning or losing, I'll always be proud of the program. Stay classy, Duke.

Thank you

For the story about the Duke staff. I have heard many stories regarding Coach K and his compassion. This is another one to add to my recollection. This is why I'm a DUKE fan. And you are correct this was a classy thoughtful gesture but when I stop and think about it, it's not surprising. Go Duke!

So here in Raleigh, my status is all smiles!
    Great story and welcome to the board (finally!) I was standing behind Devildeac when he typed his gauntlet message to you.

We're very glad you status is all smiles, and may they increase 10 billion-fold when Duke beats carolina on Wednesday night and carolina Goes To Hell!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by sivartrenrag View Post
    What a fantastic story. Whether Duke is winning or losing, I'll always be proud of the program. Stay classy, Duke.
    Examples like this are what is important in the great realm of things. Duke fans should be proud of what Duke really stands for rather than winning (or losing) a basketball contest tomorrow night. Keep up the great work...glad to have read this thread.

The athletic department has been donating 'goodies' to me and my friends annual charity football game for some years now. We love those guys a lot b/c sometimes it seems like all you have to do is ask...

Welcome to the Board!! Tks for another great story about our school, team and workers. They do a lot of things very quietly that they don't look to take credit for.