Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB: North Carolina 75, Duke 60

Wooooohooooo!!! Monday night we get our first taste of real rivalry action as the women take on the Tar Heels in Chapel Hell. We saw and talked to a number of the women as we waited out front of Cameron for the Miami game, and they are looking forward to the matchup. After 3 losses last year, and ugly losses to boot, you know the ladies are hungry. Last games on Franklin street for Abby Waner, Carrem Gay and Chante Black, and I expect those three to be key in what we do Monday night. If KJ and KC have strong games with them, we will be a tough team. Hopefully we keep improving on offense as I think we have been, and keep up our signature defense.

GTHC, GTH!!!

7:30 PM ESPN2/ESPN360
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    After 3 losses last year, and ugly losses to boot, you know the ladies are hungry.
    Yup, I know I'm hungry! Those losses last year were embarrassing, and I'm sure they can't wait to replace those memories with positive ones.

Unfortunately I haven't watched our women's team in a few weeks, but from what I've seen and heard, I like our chances in this game. I wonder if we would be considered the favorites in this game, given that we are ranked a little higher and beat Maryland which beat UNC, but on the other hand, it is at their place.

I haven't watched UNC's women's team all year, so I am not that familiar with it. Can you tell us anything about them, Cameron? I know they don't have Erlana Larkins anymore, and that is a good thing for us, but I also seem to remember their point guard Cetera Degraffenreid (sp?) looking fantastic against us last year. Hopefully we can contain her, and all the Heels, this year!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Carolina women are fast paced and don't stop, but luckily are careless with the ball, similar to Duke. DeGraffenreid reminds me a lot of Lindsey Harding, she is very quick. I think the unc women got way more respect than they deserved from the media early on. It wasn't so much the blowout vs. UCONN that cemented that for me, it was seeing them lose to Maryland and almost go down vs. State. (I don't see any team on par with UCONN this year. They are a machine)
    I think the game will be great and very evenly matched. It's a strange game to call. I could see a close victory for either team, or a blowout win over unc by Duke. We know Duke's defense can hold UNC's offense, so it will depend on if our own offense matches with points when we have the ball. If I worked at a sports book and had to lay the numbers on this game, I'd call in sick.
    GO DUKE!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I am just hoping Duke does not beat themselves by careless turnovers and missing wide open shots. If they prize every possession and play tough d and rebound we may get the W.Last year they were psyched out. Hope they play with steely resolve not too high on emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I am just hoping Duke does not beat themselves...
    Okalaja does not EVER reside in Cameron!

Keep in mind that Carmichael is being renovated and this game is in the Smith Center. That means plenty of tickets are available. I know Duke is hoping for a sizeable contingent of dark blue. The opportunity is there, folks.

So, I think that the big things for this game are going to be rebounding, speed, turnovers, and shooting percentage. As mentioned, UNC turns the ball over a lot, and so do we. If we can keep it to a respectable number (probably lower than the UVA game, which was better than usual for them), I'll be happy there. UNC seems to be lacking a solid post player this year (they graduated their last big post players last year, and while they have somewhat capable replacements, the quality is not as high as it has been), so keeping the rebounds out of their hands will be big. UNC is always fast, and that's probably the biggest thing that killed us last year. This year, we're faster, while they're probably about as fast as they've always been. Hopefully, that will help. And as far as the shooting percentage goes, they've been doing really well on this the past 3 or 4 games, but we need more than 0-12 from 3 point range to win this one. I think we've got a good chance to win this year, which would be nice (but even more nice if they won at home later, too ;-)

M.H.

2 Hours To Go To Hell Carolina!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cameronbornandbred View Post
    2 hours to go to hell carolina!!!!!
    GTH!!!

dissapointing game...

Ok, I'll admit it - flame away if you want - I'm a bit of a fair weather fan when it comes to the womens team. This was the first time I'd watched them all year and..well..I couldn't even watch the whole game. It's just painful to watch. I thought the team played scared for about the last 45 minutes of the game. Easy shots and easy passes were REPEATEDLY short-armed. They made so many unforced errors and showed horrible judgment over and over again. I actually saw Chante Black try to score against a TRIPLE TEAM in the post near the end of the 1st half. A TRIPLE TEAM? Seriously???

I swear, they looked like a bad HS girls team out there for much of the second half. Maybe that's just the state of women's b-ball right now but it makes me long for the days of Lindsey and Alana. Ugh!

They were much too rushed on offense. Slow it down! Work for a good shot! Your defense is dictating the game! Bad shots equal easy ops for the other team.

Side note: late in the game, Pam Ward (UMd alum) was talking about the strength of the ACC and noted that eight of the twelve teams could get NCAAA bids. Noted Ward: 'Its pretty impressive, eight out of twelve, when you can get 75% of your league in the NCAA tourney'.

Interesting Math...8/12 = 75%

U G L Y.

Not in a Clemson v. Duke MBB kind of ugly, where one team played great, and the other played poorly.

In a "both teams stunk, but one was somewhat less stinky than the other" kind of ugly. The kind of ugly that gives the women's game a bad name.

I will be checking out the official box score when available. AP said that Carolina had 29 turnovers; the ESPN boxscore said only 20. 29 sounds about right. Duke had to be around 20. Total turnovers had to be around 50 for the game.

Interesting the two most disastrous times of the game for Duke were times when Abby wasn't on the floor, although she contributed her share of bone-headed plays.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    They were much too rushed on offense. Slow it down! Work for a good shot! Your defense is dictating the game! Bad shots equal easy ops for the other team.

Side note: late in the game, Pam Ward (UMd alum) was talking about the strength of the ACC and noted that eight of the twelve teams could get NCAAA bids. Noted Ward: 'Its pretty impressive, eight out of twelve, when you can get 75% of your league in the NCAA tourney'.

Interesting Math...8/12 = 75%
    A different school, but is she friends with George Karl? (IF you don't get this, look up the Karl thread.)

Chante and Carrem are not strong enough to take it inside against the front line of the evil ones.. That's where Krystal losing a year or so of development because of injuries hurts the team. Joy and Karima can take it to the hoop, but are relatively short against that team.

On defense, once they got used to our press and beat it, it was 3 on 2 the rest of the play, giving them easy baskets. I thought the play of the game was when (I think) Jasmine had the ball above the key and was double teamed. They stole it, went in for an easy shot to go ahead by I think five. That's when Coach K, for instance, would rescue her with a timeout. Instead, we let them build the lead and take all rest of the momentum away. I'm not in the "Coach P can do no good camp like others, but her game management needed some improvement tonight.

Speaking of Karima, I didn't think it was intentional (from my angle behind Duke basket) when she got punched in the face, but my gosh, it was certainly a foul!

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I am just hoping Duke does not beat themselves by careless turnovers and missing wide open shots. If they prize every possession and play tough d and rebound we may get the W.
    I wish they had taken your sage words to heart, this is exactly how they got beaten.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland

Angry

Another unnecessary Loss to Sylvia and the Evil heels.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    I know it makes no difference, but the ESPN broadcast team sure sounded like the UNC radio team. The first half lead, the turnovers, the missed shots, none of it had anything to do with Duke. It was all about what UNC was or wasn't doing. Who were they playing again? A team ranked higher than them?

I waited until this morning so I could make some level headed comments and not rash ones. As I expected, both teams were careless with the ball, so I wasn't surprised there. What I was surprised at was our offense. We are a horrible shooting team from beneath the basket, and have been all year. The analysts all talk about the need to rebound and whoever does the best job will win. I disagree with that. I say if you put the ball in the basket the first time, and don't need to rebound the ball, you will win. Some of Abby's plays really floored me. She is usually smart with her passing, but not last night. She was the source of many of our turnovers. I think that had to be the worst game of her season. And while she does take the occasional shot from way outside, last night she was living on them. Sigh. I would love to know what goes through her head when she watches herself on tape taking those shots, they are so low percentage that they basically equal a turnover. I thought as a team, we held the ball far too often, looking for those outside shots. We are a fast team, playing a fast team. We would be much better taking it in when we have the chance instead of looking for another pass. On a fast break, we had 3 passes 3 feet from the basket, and wound up hitting the bottom of the rim on the shot. Not good.
    I also saw that we never stepped up in the game. Our level of play never changed from the beginning until the end. It looked like we got worse, but it was unc getting better. They started horribly, but improved, steadily. We never matched the intensity and flow that they found. Very dissapointing game after the 10 minute mark, and I'm making Abby my goat. She is a senior and team leader, she has to play smarter than she did last night. I wouldn't complain if I knew it weren't possible, but we've seen her do it often. She was a different player at the wrong time.

Yep, 50 turnovers. 29 Carolina, 21 Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    Yep, 50 turnovers. 29 Carolina, 21 Duke.
    Oy. It's a really tough trick for your defense to 'generate' 29 turnovers and still lose by 15. Not much easier than that to be +8 in turnovers and do the same.