Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UNC News...Ginyard and Graves out for season

This per stories at IC.

Ginyard to red-shirt for medical reasons; Graves suspended for remainder of season; status to be reviewed for 09-10 season.

They're gonna miss Ginyard in the tourney.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    They mentioned this during the unx/twerps game as well. Ginyard to get the medical redshirt, and Graves dismissed from the team by ol roy for breaking team rules or conduct "unbecoming".

LOL- the mighty heels gave up 91 points to the lowly twerps.. And unx hit 15 threes and still only won by 17. Yes 108 points is impressive but giving up 91 to a team playing basically 5 wings is pretty shabby.

This shortens the unx bench quite a bit. They are now down to basically the 5 starters plus Ed Davis, and Frasor. Drew has not done much lately. Still have a potent offense no doubt, and will still win a ton of games. But winning the ACC regular season, ACC tourney, and National Title, will prove extremely difficult with that 7 man rotation.

Not nearly as scary as they were at the start of January...

They still boast the best starting 5 in the country so that's still plenty scary.

My biggest question is what exactly could Graves have done? The quote on the local news was something like conduct not to the standards of a UNC basketball player. What on earth is that? What were the standards for guys like Ndiaye, Rasheed, Carter, McCinnis, etc... ?

Losing those two guys is definitely a hit though. Giving up 91 points to such a weak terp squad at home has to be very concerning. I still feel like they're the best team in the country... when they feel like it, but something odd is going on over there in Chapel Hill.

Does this mean that if/when (knock-on-wood) we beat them, we'll hear the same excuses as when Lawson was out for last year's Duke victory in Chapel Hill? Even Seth Davis said something later like, "I assume UNC would have won if they'd had Lawson in that game." Lawson is (arguably) more important than Ginyard, but still, I expect to hear some whining along these lines. Sure, these injuries have hurt them, and will likely continue to hurt them at least a little, but I'm just not looking forward to hearing people make excuses for them, when you don't hear many people excusing us for when G and Nolan and McClure were injured last year (though not as badly as Ginyard, it appears).

In any case, it's a real bummer for Ginyard, and I genuinely wish him well in his recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Does this mean that if/when (knock-on-wood) we beat them, we'll hear the same excuses as when Lawson was out for last year's Duke victory in Chapel Hill? Even Seth Davis said something later like, "I assume UNC would have won if they'd had Lawson in that game." Lawson is (arguably) more important than Ginyard, but still, I expect to hear some whining along these lines. Sure, these injuries have hurt them, and will likely continue to hurt them at least a little, but I'm just not looking forward to hearing people make excuses for them, when you don't hear many people excusing us for when G and Nolan and McClure were injured last year (though not as badly as Ginyard, it appears).

In any case, it's a real bummer for Ginyard, and I genuinely wish him well in his recovery.
    No way. Quentin Thomas held Paulus to 18 points in that game. Lawson plays, Paulus drops at least 30.

Paulus always plays well against Carolina. Or right after he gets smacked on the head. Channels his emotions well.

The loss of Ginyard is big. Their best perimeter defender and most people forget that he wasn't a liability on offense. He had 16 vs. Duke in Chapel Hill last year.

Obviously, not having Marcus Ginyard available for March will hurt Carolina. He is an excellent ball player on both ends of the court. As far as the short bench is concerned, this may prove to benefit Carolina in the long run. I've always believed Coach Williams plays too many players too many minutes. Or more accurately stated, he doesn't play his best players enough.
    Bob Green

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    They still boast the best starting 5 in the country so that's still plenty scary.
    After watching UConn, not so sure that the Holes starting 5 is superior.

Ginyard

First of all, this stinks for Ginyard.

Second, this hurts unc in that they no longer have the option of going small. Last year, they were quite effective with Ginyard and Green at forward, and used that lineup more than most people realized or remembered. They can't do it now, because they've lost their other two "3s" in Ginyard and Graves.

Of course, it will mean that Green gets plenty of playing time to showcase his talents for the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    First of all, this stinks for Ginyard.

Second, this hurts unc in that they no longer have the option of going small. Last year, they were quite effective with Ginyard and Green at forward, and used that lineup more than most people realized or remembered. They can't do it now, because they've lost their other two "3s" in Ginyard and Graves.

Of course, it will mean that Green gets plenty of playing time to showcase his talents for the NBA.
    Agree about Ginyard; he is their best defender. We've seen our share of lingering foot-related problems in Durham, so wish him well for a full recovery. He could be a key player for them next year.

Green is a senior anyway, though I agree he is looking more like a good NBA prospect. Will Lawson and/or Ellington forego their last season to go pro?

Whatever develops, UNC will have plenty of talent next year; they nearly always do in the Roy Williams era. Lots of basketball to be played this year and the Heels remain a national contender.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Does this mean that if/when (knock-on-wood) we beat them, we'll hear the same excuses as when Lawson was out for last year's Duke victory in Chapel Hill? Even Seth Davis said something later like, "I assume UNC would have won if they'd had Lawson in that game." Lawson is (arguably) more important than Ginyard, but still, I expect to hear some whining along these lines.
    Just remember that Lawson is, of course, the best PG in the country. Even though he gets lit up regularly in conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Or more accurately stated, he doesn't play his best players enough.
    I don't know if you're kidding or not but I completely agree. I've mentioned a few times how awful I think Graves is and that I couldn't imagine why he ever got significant minutes. I doubt his loss will have much of an effect.

Starting 5

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post

My biggest question is what exactly could Graves have done? The quote on the local news was something like conduct not to the standards of a UNC basketball player. What on earth is that? What were the standards for guys like Ndiaye, Rasheed, Carter, McCinnis, etc... ?

Losing those two guys is definitely a hit though. Giving up 91 points to such a weak terp squad at home has to be very concerning. I still feel like they're the best team in the country... when they feel like it, but something odd is going on over there in Chapel Hill.
    They do have a strong starting 5- but I agree that things are not happy over there. Thompson is really not playing well of late- perhaps because of Hansbrough taking up opportunities and their bench is not giving great production. They also do not seem to be playing with a lot of enjoyment- but then again, the only thing that matters to this team is playing well in March. So perhaps they are holding back. Roy also seems a bit more chippy of late and having a hard time motivating this team. We will see if this tension breaks them or carries them. I expect it will only get worse as it gets closer to the end of the season. One thing we know- is that Roy is not very likely to sit the entire starting 5 now when he gets really mad at them. as I am not sure he has enough players left to play.

I don't think this affects much for UNC based to what they've been doing all year. They've been playing without Ginyard for the whole season anyway. Graves was playing limited minutes to begin with - he was averaging just 6 minutes per game over the last four games he played, and just 8 minutes per game in ACC play overall. This just means that Fraser/Drew/Copeland will see 5-10 more minutes per game.

What it does though is eliminate the potential for UNC to get deeper and better defensively. Had Ginyard been able to return and Graves remained on the team, UNC could have gone 8-deep with quality regulars and had Drew and Graves as toss-ins for depth. Now, they have to continue to use Drew as a rotation guy, and they won't have any depth advantage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't think this affects much for UNC based to what they've been doing all year. They've been playing without Ginyard for the whole season anyway. Graves was playing limited minutes to begin with - he was averaging just 6 minutes per game over the last four games he played, and just 8 minutes per game in ACC play overall. This just means that Fraser/Drew/Copeland will see 5-10 more minutes per game.

What it does though is eliminate the potential for UNC to get deeper and better defensively. Had Ginyard been able to return and Graves remained on the team, UNC could have gone 8-deep with quality regulars and had Drew and Graves as toss-ins for depth. Now, they have to continue to use Drew as a rotation guy, and they won't have any depth advantage at all.
    Awwwwwwwww.

I think Roy deserves some credit for cutting Graves and shortening his bench in the name of integrity.

If Graves' offense was of the NCAA rule breaking nature and Roy's move was preemptive, than that's another story altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    Awwwwwwwww.
    Yeah, I'm not crying a tear for UNC or anything.

Plus/Minus

It definitely hurts UNC this year. Ginyard is a good player, and a solid citizen.

However, there is a single, solitary, silver lining for UNC in this mess. NEXT YEAR, UNC would have been very, very weak at the Wing forward position. Their guard rotation would have been young, but very talented with the two frosh probably starting. Up front they will have Thompson, Davis, a fab frosh named Henson, and the Wear twin playing solid backup. What they didn't have was a 6-6 ish, do-it-all WF.

I am not saying that Ginyard makes next year's UNC a world beater or anything, but he will help that team tremendously.

Also, I know they are our (deservedly) hated rivals, but you really have to feel for the kid. To miss a Sr. year on a team as talented as the Heels would have to hurt. Even if UNC wins the title, which isn't out of the question, Ginyard's ring would not really be earned. And next year they won't win the title. Too young.

I feel bad for Ginyard. What happened to him is unfortunate.