Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post

I don't know the mileage, but my back yard faces one of the ranges (very far) on Camp Pendleton. It sounds just like earthquakes.
    I drove past Camp Pendleton yesterday!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I was about to edit the above post when I thought "WWDDD" and I realized that editing would waste a perfectly good 'nother post!

In Smithfield, we can occasionally hear the planes taking off at Seymore Johnson AF Base in Goldsboro (25 miles away) and on rare occasion hear the artillery from Ft. Bragg near Fayettenam, er, Fayetteville (45 miles away),

"My" golf course is regularly used as bombing practice by the F-15's out of SJAFB. Sort of cool as long as they don't drop real bombs!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    ...and on rare occasion hear the artillery from Ft. Bragg near Fayettenam, er, Fayetteville (45 miles away),
    I heard the Ft. Bragg artillery on a regular basis for the first 17 years of my life. During my 30 years in the Navy, I lived and worked underneath the flight deck of several aircraft carriers. You have not heard real noise until you've heard a jet getting ready for take-off from your roof.
    Bob Green

Isn't Cherry Point a bit closer, or are you at the south end of the island? Either way, you get the best of both worlds; a big ol Marine Corps Air Station and Combat Base. Shweet!
    I went to summer camp across the river from Cherry Point. They would occasionally do fly-overs that would render us deaf and mute for a few seconds. Crazy loud.

While I haven't done any rigorous statistical analysis, it occurs to me that we have a lot of DBR posters living or having lived within earshot of a bombing range.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    While I haven't done any rigorous statistical analysis, it occurs to me that we have a lot of DBR posters living or having lived within earshot of a bombing range.
    Occasionally, we still hear of people finding unexploded shells in the yard of their new home in the Butner area. This is because your average title search when buying a home/property only goes back fifty years. So if new homeowners are new to the area, and don't already know that their home was built on the former site of Camp Butner, they do not find out until too late that their house is sitting on a former military camp. It pays to do your homework. Or at least hire a good real estate lawyer who should tell you these things.

My parents live fairly close to Ft. Bragg; artillery practice brings some noise and a little bit of shaking.

Also interesting to go into bars/restaurants in Southern Pines and see small groups of heavily muscled/short-haired guys drinking a few brews and talking shop. Special Forces Operators.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I went to summer camp across the river from Cherry Point. They would occasionally do fly-overs that would render us deaf and mute for a few seconds. Crazy loud.
    Camp Seagull?

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I heard that! I was inside a house near Gov. Bob Scott's in Hawfields when an Air Force jet, piloted by my landlord's son, flew very low above me. I was paralyzed with fear for a few seconds until I could gather my wits. Crazy loud with physical vibrations you can feel inside you!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Every now and then I have to make service calls to Cherry Point. If they are practicing touch and goes, you better have some earplugs. Talking on the phone is useless. The worst noise (but coolest) is when the Harriers come in so slow it makes you wonder how they even stay in the air.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Camp Seagull?
    No, I went to Camp Don-Lee next door. We were kind of like the Meatballs of Camp Northstar and Seagull/Seafarer were like Camp Mohawk. We had WAY more fun than those little rich kids!

Growing up on Air Force bases, I'm so used to being buzzed by fighter jets, I don't really hear them anymore. I mean, I can physically hear the sound (obviously), but my mind blanks it out, and I just pretend nothing is happening. This weirds out my wife and friends.

I used to be able to identify the military jet by the sound it made. Not sure if I could do that anymore, but can still easily pick them out if I can see it.

^^^^^^

DukieinKansas,

I had the very same experience with an F-16 a few years back: I was motoring up to Elizabeth City in a Ford Explorer and it was really hot outside; I had the windows all rolled down, the A/C on, and I was enjoying the fast ride out there. Off to my left, I spotted a jet coming over a field from about a mile away, and it was flying low to the ground and really pushing it.

The dude had ME in his sights I do believe. He buzzed right over the road and he was just blistering the ground as he flew over; I knew right then I never wanted to be on the RECEIVING end of anything from the US military.

It was really intimidating and exhilirating at the same time.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    ^^^^^^

DukieinKansas,

I had the very same experience with an F-16 a few years back: I was motoring up to Elizabeth City in a Ford Explorer and it was really hot outside; I had the windows all rolled down, the A/C on, and I was enjoying the fast ride out there. Off to my left, I spotted a jet coming over a field from about a mile away, and it was flying low to the ground and really pushing it.

The dude had ME in his sights I do believe. He buzzed right over the road and he was just blistering the ground as he flew over; I knew right then I never wanted to be on the RECEIVING end of anything from the US military.

It was really intimidating and exhilirating at the same time.

dth.
    It is very intimidating - and we were on bicycles at the time. Staying on the road and watching the flyover was a challenge.

I got pictures the other day of a flyover at a funeral at Arlington National Cemetary. My cousin was piloting one of the planes (F-15, I think). They were honoring a Tuskeegee airman that was being interred. His son sent a wonderful letter to the squadron talking about his father and how much they appreciated the flyover. His father was a very impressive man.

Fat Tire, Mothership Wit, Ruination IPA...

Oh, sorry, you said bombing range...