Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Anyone live close to a bombing range?

As the crow flies, I live about 15 miles from Camp Lejeune. When they have bombing practice it's very strange. If you are outside, you rarely hear the explosions, but if you are inside, you can feel them, like during a thunderstorm and the bass of the thunder is so low it vibrates your house. They announced today that they are also clearing out unexploded ordinance on a nearby island (used as past bombing range). That might be what they are doing now, I can hear them outside. They were going to blow up 2 700lb bombs and a bunch more smaller ones that didn't go off the first time.
    If we ever have an earthquake, I'll miss it thinking it was the marines and their toys.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

aberdeen proving grounds

I live next to Aberdeen Proving Grounds, and the test every day,big bombs little bombs, you just get used to it.

Talking

I thought this was some new and interesting metaphor that the kids are using these days!

I live close to a bombing range.

Are you hittin' that?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I thought this was some new and interesting metaphor that the kids are using these days!

I live close to a bombing range.

Are you hittin' that?
    That's Michael Phelps...bonging range.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's Michael Phelps...bonging range.
    Good one!

Poor Michael. Now the local law is looking to lock up the legendary lothario.

Seriously, it disturbs me a great deal that they would even think about pressing charges. Ridiculous. How many college students in SC are bonging right now? How can they target him and ignore all others?

How many college students in SC are bonging right now?
    But none of them will grow up to become Olympic Champions. All because they smoked dope.

That's awesome. I hijacked my own thread.

But none of them will grow up to become Olympic Champions. All because they smoked dope.
    Ummm . . . isn't college age a Little old to start planning your Olympic career?

As the crow flies, I live about 15 miles from Camp Lejeune. When they have bombing practice it's very strange. If you are outside, you rarely hear the explosions, but if you are inside, you can feel them, like during a thunderstorm and the bass of the thunder is so low it vibrates your house. They announced today that they are also clearing out unexploded ordinance on a nearby island (used as past bombing range). That might be what they are doing now, I can hear them outside. They were going to blow up 2 700lb bombs and a bunch more smaller ones that didn't go off the first time.
    If we ever have an earthquake, I'll miss it thinking it was the marines and their toys.
    Isn't Cherry Point a bit closer, or are you at the south end of the island? Either way, you get the best of both worlds; a big ol Marine Corps Air Station and Combat Base. Shweet!

I don't know the mileage, but my back yard faces one of the ranges (very far) on Camp Pendleton. It sounds just like earthquakes.

Ummm . . . isn't college age a Little old to start planning your Olympic career?
    Hell no. I'm still planning mine. I graduated 11 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Isn't Cherry Point a bit closer, or are you at the south end of the island? Either way, you get the best of both worlds; a big ol Marine Corps Air Station and Combat Base. Shweet!

I don't know the mileage, but my back yard faces one of the ranges (very far) on Camp Pendleton. It sounds just like earthquakes.
    Cherry Point is closer, but it's an air station. Lejeune as far as I know is everything Marine related. I don't know what they are blowing up, but it could be shot out of a tank and not air dropped. DukePA is at the west end of the island, she could probably see the flashes if she stood on the beach.

Hell no. I'm still planning mine. I graduated 11 years ago.
    Curling! Last winter Olympics there was a 57 year old on the US Curling team. It's never too late!

eta - I'm Ronnie Mayer. Off to do some research.
    1953-1956 from Avalon, PA - 1,647 points. Captain 1955

Wink

Cherry Point is closer, but it's an air station. Lejeune as far as I know is everything Marine related. I don't know what they are blowing up, but it could be shot out of a tank and not air dropped. DukePA is at the west end of the island, she could probably see the flashes if she stood on the beach.
    To make sure none of the sharks get lasers, they have to blow up the sharks.

To make sure none of the sharks get lasers, they have to blow up the sharks.

I don't live near one - but I do live near Dobbins Air Base and get an air show daily.

But I just wanted to say that I LOVE the question! It's cracked me up!

Wouldn't it be kind of cool to live ON a bombing range?

-EJ

I've never seen flashes from the bombing. It was really cool last summer though when I was re-reading War and Rememberance. There was a lot of Marine bombing going on as I reading about the London Blitz. I felt like I was there!

We were in an Emerald Isle shop one time when the bombing was heavy and and you could feel the percussions. BOOM!!!!

No bombing ranges nearby but we do like to fire up the potato cannon and let 'er rip every so often.
    Especially at night when you can watch the flames shoot out of it.

Country livin'!

Drive through the base some time and look for the following signs:

Tank Crossing

Artillery Practice

Caution: Low Flying Planes

rather unnerving...

I don't live near a bombing range, but we did have an earthquake here last week, and I slept through it. (My first one, and I missed it.)

No bombing around me but one year on Biking Across Kansas we got buzzed by a fighter jet. The first plan spotted us and the second one came over us a bit lower. Very impressive noise factor.