Redshirt Question

If a player redshirts on a team that wins a conference or NCAA championship are they recognized as being part of that year's team? Basically, would they get a ring?

I am a little surprised that Wiki doesn't address this..

Thanks!

Marcus Ginyard

I don't know the answer to the above question. However, I had one of my own; I think during the Tar Heels game on Sat they said that the beginning of this week the team would decide whether or not to redshirt Ginyard...anyone heard anything on this? Seems late in the season for a redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    I don't know the answer to the above question. However, I had one of my own; I think during the Tar Heels game on Sat they said that the beginning of this week the team would decide whether or not to redshirt Ginyard...anyone heard anything on this? Seems late in the season for a redshirt.
    Medical redshirts, and not redshirts for other reasons, are based on playing in a set percentage of your team's games (and obviously being injured).

I think the percentage is around 20% which equates somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8 games. Since Ginyard has only played in 3 games so far this season, he would be still be eligible for a medical redshirt at this time.

I believe they do get a ring. (They are still eligible to practice which means they can still be contributing towards their team's success.) You frequently have walk-on players or others who may not see a single minute in the tournament but still get the ring. Also, I remember reading in an article back in 2002ish about a Maryland player complaining that Dahntay Jones trash talking after winning the tournament. The Maryland player made a comment about his own ring meaning something, whereas Dahntay had just "sat on the bench" or something along those lines. Dahntay wasn't eligible because of his transfer, which I recognize is different, but I would expect that everyone on the roster gets the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Medical redshirts, and not redshirts for other reasons, are based on playing in a set percentage of your team's games (and obviously being injured).

I think the percentage is around 20% which equates somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8 games. Since Ginyard has only played in 3 games so far this season, he would be still be eligible for a medical redshirt at this time.
    It is generally a percentage of games, but there's also a point of no return meaning if they play after a certain point in the season, then they forego the option to redshirt, no matter how many (or how few) games they play.

I could be wrong, but I think I read that with regard to Ginyard a few weeks ago.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    It is generally a percentage of games, but there's also a point of no return meaning if they play after a certain point in the season, then they forego the option to redshirt, no matter how many (or how few) games they play.

I could be wrong, but I think I read that with regard to Ginyard a few weeks ago.
    This is what I was talking about. Not only is it based on the number of games played, but there also is a definate deadline that I believe is soon approaching where teams must decide whether or not to redshirt a player, regardless of games active.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I read recently that the Blue Devils are considering redshirting Jordan Davidson. So there still must be time.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

redshirt

There are no NCAA or ACC rules about whether players out for redshirt or medical hardship can win rings or be considered part of championship teams. It's up to each individual school to decide for themselves.

Just an example: Nate James played in six games in 1997-98 and was granted a medical hardship. He is considered a part of the 1998 team that won the ACC regular season title. Duke lists him as the only player in ACC history to play on five championship teams: 1997 (ACC regular season), 1998 (ACC regular season), 1999 (ACC regular season and tournament), 2000 (ACC regular season and tournament), 2001 (ACC regular season co-champ and tournament).

As for Ginyard, I'm pretty sure that he's still eligible for a medical hardship at this point, but if he appears in one more game this season his eligibility is exhausted (in addition to a limit on the percentage of games allowed for a hardship, the games played must be in the first half of the season).

Redshirting is totally different -- if you play in one game (other than a public scrimmage) you can't redshirt. Not too long ago, NC State lost a redshirt year for Avie Lester because they mistakenly played him in an exhibition game.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I read recently that the Blue Devils are considering redshirting Jordan Davidson. So there still must be time.

He is redshirting. He hasn't played a minute all year.

We'll need him next year when we only have Nolan and Scheyer to play point guard.

Redshirting rules:

Medical Hardship Waiver
    If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of
    competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which
    would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify
    for a medical hardship:
    • The student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate
    competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution or occur subsequent to the first day of
    classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;
    • The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that
    concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests
    or dates of competition) and result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season;
    and
    • The injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two
    contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 20 percent (whichever
    number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or
    her sport.
    Student-athletes should note that medical hardship waivers are not automatic and, therefore, the studentathlete
    should consult with his/her head coach along with the Head Athletic Trainer and Assistant Athletic
    Director for Compliance Services.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Smile Rings and such

Quote Originally Posted by WojoSay? View Post
    If a player redshirts on a team that wins a conference or NCAA championship are they recognized as being part of that year's team? Basically, would they get a ring?

I am a little surprised that Wiki doesn't address this..

Thanks!
    I thought the championships rings were up to the school, and they could give anyone they wanted a ring (coaches, etc.). Does the NCAA do anything more than provide a school trophy?

Any NCAA recognition, I would guess, would go only to those declared eligibile by the NCAA. But I don't know if the NCAA keeps official records for championships for members of team sports.

sagegrouse

I believe Dahntay Jones received a championship ring when he was redshirted in 01.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    We'll need him next year when we only have Nolan and Scheyer to play point guard.
    We'll also have Elliot who was recruited to play both spots. And believe me, Davidson will not see any meaningful minutes at the point (i.e. non-garbage time)

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    We'll also have Elliot who was recruited to play both spots. And believe me, Davidson will not see any meaningful minutes at the point (i.e. non-garbage time)

I was thinking more along the lines of in case of injuries.

Also, I think it makes sense because right now Paulus is playing at the end of blowouts... that could be him.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of in case of injuries.

Also, I think it makes sense because right now Paulus is playing at the end of blowouts... that could be him.
    Even if Nolan gets injured, Davidson won't play meaningful minutes. We'll just use more Scheyer/ Williams at point. Not trying to put anyone down, but that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    Even if Nolan gets injured, Davidson won't play meaningful minutes. We'll just use more Scheyer/ Williams at point. Not trying to put anyone down, but that's just the way it is.
    Let's hope everyone stays healthy and you're correct. (Shades of Jay Heaps dancing through my head.)

Either way, it'll be good to have Davidson available for practices.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor
    I believe Dahntay Jones received a championship ring when he was redshirted in 01.
    I do know that Dahntay's name is recognized as part of the 2001 national championship on a plaque in a display case in the Schwartz-Butters building, so I think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I do know that Dahntay's name is recognized as part of the 2001 national championship on a plaque in a display case in the Schwartz-Butters building, so I think you're right.
    I've also heard K say that one of the reasons the '01 team was so good was because they had to play against Dahntay in practice every day. Very few teams have All ACC talent on their bench to work their starters with, which gave Duke an advantage.
    Last edited by Highlander; 02-03-2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Quin Snyder - nice. I'll go gel my hair :)
    "There can BE only one."

davidson

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    Not sure you are right ... Davidson is an exceptional walk-on -- as he his played in the Blue-White scrimmage, when he more than held his own against Paulus/Smith.

Still, it's true that the primary reason that he's being redshirted is to provide a point guard in practice next season. Without Davidson (and assuming no late guard recruits), K would be unable to scrimmage with Scheyer, Smith and Williams on the same team. Davidson is quality practice fodder.

I think in many ways, it's similar to the decision to bring in Andre Buckner in 1999-2000. He was recruited strickly as a practice player after Will Avery's unexpected departure for the pros. Jason Williams was the only point guard on the roster -- when he went out of games, Chris Carrawell usually slid over and played the point.

But there was one moment in that season when Buckner was forced to play in non-garbage time. Duke had blown a big lead at Clemson and the Tigers had pulled to within three with a few minutes left, when K inserted Buckner as a third guard against the Clemson press. He played just three minutes, but they were real minutes with real game-pressure. He made 2 free throws and handled the ball well, enabling Duke to open the lead again.

That was it for his career -- Buckner ended up playing just a handful of minutes the rest of his career and all were in garbage time.

There's no guarantee that Davidson will have a similar moment. But the fact is that Duke could be very shorthanded on perimeter players next season. Smith, Scheyer, Williams, Pocius ... maybe Henderson (although he could always go pro), maybe a late guard signee. That's it -- we could see a lot of Singler and/or Ryan Kelly played small forward.

That's not bad, but a sprained ankle ... a little foul trouble and suddenly Jordan Davidson is out there when it matters. And, to tell you the truth, as long as its a Buckner-like short stint, I don't think that's all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

But there was one moment in that season when Buckner was forced to play in non-garbage time. Duke had blown a big lead at Clemson and the Tigers had pulled to within three with a few minutes left, when K inserted Buckner as a third guard against the Clemson press. He played just three minutes, but they were real minutes with real game-pressure. He made 2 free throws and handled the ball well, enabling Duke to open the lead again.

That was it for his career -- Buckner ended up playing just a handful of minutes the rest of his career and all were in garbage time.
    Always thought Andre's insertion was partially because it was Clemson, where brother Greg had played. Also, Andre had a couple of good minutes against UNC...definitely held Doh in check