Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coach G press conference video

Sure looks happy in the presser. Damn it!!!
    http://www.texassports.com/

G said she will probably take some but not all of her assistants with her. I read that as GV will go with her. I had that thought at the rally since GV was the only one who seemed rather cheery.

I wish them both the best except when they play Duke!

She looks a lot better in royal blue than burnt orange. Crud.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    She looks a lot better in royal blue than burnt orange. Crud.
    I thought the same thing.

Coach G press conference

I was really struck with how, on two different occasions, Coach G said, "it was about the people."

Good riddance.

Watching this video makes me glad that she left. She obviously really wanted to go to Texas. "I've always had a special place in my heart for Texas." She makes Texas seem like some kind of magical wonderland compared to Duke. Good riddance.

I hope now we can finally win a National Championship.

FireOgilvie:

I am surprised and sad at your comments here. What do you expect her to say at Texas? "I really wanted to stay at Duke and never really wanted to be here?" Gail is a very classy person and used her press conference as a time to build rapport with the players, supporters and students.

The more I read your "good riddance", the more offensive I find it. Gail, if you read this blog, please realize that many--no, most--of us wish you the best and will miss you.

Go Devils!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    FireOgilvie:

I am surprised and sad at your comments here. What do you expect her to say at Texas? "I really wanted to stay at Duke and never really wanted to be here?" Gail is a very classy person and used her press conference as a time to build rapport with the players, supporters and students.

The more I read your "good riddance", the more offensive I find it. Gail, if you read this blog, please realize that many--no, most--of us wish you the best and will miss you.

Go Devils!
    I'm glad that she's going to a place that she really wants to be at. However, she really made it seem like she was always hoping for the Texas job the whole time she was at Duke (even though she has no ties to Texas from what I have heard). I guess I would rather have someone who actually wants to be coaching at Duke, not pining away for another job. I know that the next coach that is hired will be truly excited to be here.

Also, I really don't like the way the situation was handled at all (by her and the athletic department). Maybe if she would have focused on her team and not herself, Duke would not be sitting back and watching a team that we soundly beat earlier this year winning a National Championship. There is no excuse. Literally the next game after she says she would consider leaving Duke, the team loses.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post

Agreed. Coach G said all the right things at the press conference today. She would have been silly to do it any other way. It has nothing to do with Duke. It's about knowing what to say and when to say it in order to gain the confidence and support of your team, school, community, etc. Someone might want to send a copy of the tape to Alleva so he can take notes.
    Last edited by adam; 04-05-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Yuck.

Hi,

I am hurt. I thought she made it sound like Duke was second rate. Er, um, if it was not for Duke she would not have had the opportunity to build a program. She was good at Purdue, but nothing like what she was at Duke. I don't like what has gone on with Duke in the last few years: Chokes (sorry, but they were) in big games, a football team that can't beat a Div II school, a LAX scandal, do I need to rub any more salt in our wounds? Coach G, you really always wanted to go to Texas, congratulations. I hope the next DUKE coach meets up with you and knocks you out of the NCAA tournament--and forever thereafter. You talk about championship swaggar, honey, you never won a championship. Perhaps when you have one you can talk more about it. As it turns out, gag, Sylvia Hatchel at Carolina has more credibility about talking about what acting like a champion is, since she has been one. For that matter so can Kay Yow.

I wonder. If five years from now Coach G does NOT have an NCAA championship and there is some other hot coach, maybe at Duke who has accumulated two or three of them, will Texas jettison G for the next great coach at Duke? Put your money on it. Texas will not have the loyalty to Coach G that we had to her, but as we have seen so many times before, Coach G can be like a deer with its eyes caught in the headlights, except this time it isn't a team making a comeback it is a sweet talking athletics department in Texas.

GO DUKE!

OK, to put this into perspective, during the 80s, when she was coming up in college and into coaching, Texas was the premier women's basketball program, the way UT or UConn is today. They haven't matched their former glory in a while, but still, to have an opportunity to coach at the place that WAS women's hoops during her early career, of course that is a big thrill for her. It doesn't mean a diss to Duke at all. Also keep in mind that she's speaking to the people at her new job; is she really going to wax rhapsodic about her old job? She's SUPPOSED to sound really happy and excited to be where she is now. I mean, I realize we all feel a bit like jilted lovers right now, but let's not start bashing her because she's not at the press conference wailing about how she wishes she never left Durham.

well said gadzooks

Ya, well...

Hi,

I guess. grumble grumble.

GO DUKE!

This makes me angry. Regardless of who she was talking to, she makes it sound like she was slumming it at Duke.

Our conference is better, our academics are better, our stadium is a sports icon, our culture of basketball is supreme.

I appreciate what Gail accomplished here, but if she doesn't want to be at Duke, I don't want her. And I won't pull for Texas.

Wow, a lot of bitter people here. Folks, it's not that she didn't want to be here, it's the Duke AD that didn't want her until it was too late.

Again, she accomplished so much in turning Duke into a national championship contender and perennial powerhouse that she should always be credited for what she built. If we win a championship with the next coach in the next few years, it will because of what Gail built.

All this talk of "no national championships" and "chokes" makes the fans here sound like Kentucky fans. The bandwagon Kentucky fans, that is, the ones that buy a UK cap at Wal-Mart.

I fully appreciate all she built, and I would never fault anyone for not winning a national title; getting there is hard enough. She turned us from losers to contenders.

But this quote from the texas sports site says enough for me:

All her life, Gail said, she had an image of what The University of Texas was all about. Last week, she had come to Austin to check it out. Plonsky said she hadn't come to visit; she had come to validate.
    This has been a brutal year for Duke University, to the glee of many nationally and in the media. I want people at Duke who love Duke, who have a passion for Duke, who are proud of what Duke stands for.

At least "Old Roy" cried...

Gail loved and loves Duke and her team here. That has been made more than evident during her tenure. People on this thread are complaining about her never having won an NC. Do you remember how long it took Coach K, how many trips to the Final Four he made before he won? This year was obviously a huge disappointment, but Coach G can't go out and hit Lindsay Harding's free throws in the last game... don't you think she was totally and completely devastated by the loss?

I do have some inside information that I cannot share, but let me say this. The decision to go to Texas had very little to do with Duke and a great deal to do with a very personal issue that made it almost a mandatory decision for her. I am confident that had that issue not arisen (and it was not a self-imposed issue), she would still be here.

As to her passion for going to Texas, it may be a little like Lou Holtz writing into his early contracts that, if Notre Dame offered him a job, he was gone. As gadzooks said so eloquently, "OK, to put this into perspective, during the 80s, when she was coming up in college and into coaching, Texas was the premier women's basketball program, the way UT or UConn is today." Gail meant no disrespect for Duke at all, and I think deep down, she is going to miss this program and this school more than she can imagine. But I still wish her the very best of luck and hope that she can make a good situation at Texas.

One more question: Had Coach K decided to go to the Lakers (or the Celtics or anywhere else), would you have bombarded him with the bitter and almost hostile comments that are being posted here by a few of us? Would we have been incredibly unhappy and disappointed? Damn right we would have. But we all would have had to recognize that he needed to follow his heart/dream/whatever. Let's let Gail go after hers with nothing but positive memories of Duke.

By the way, when Texas plays Duke, she is going to be my worst enemy ... but when they play most other places, I'm going to be cheering for her !
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    At least "Old Roy" cried...
    And whined... and hasn't stopped crying or whining since then!
    DukeDevilDeb

Gail is Duke's past. Whoever is Duke's future is who I am pulling for. I just sort of see UT as the UNC of Texas and for that reason I have always pulled against them and will have a hard time pulling for Gail for the same reason. Whatever happens in the future I kind of hope we get a chance to beat Texas in the future for a National Championship. I won't say that Gail couldn't win the big games because I think, like Coach K, she was getting close but I certainly hope she doesn't do it at UT because that would mean that we would not be winning that particular NC. Again I don't blame her for leaving - but I feel like I owe her the same loyalty she gave us. She loves her old teams and I love her old teams but going forward I think we owe her nothing past the great recruits she has brought us. I hate to sound bitter and I didn't feel the same way about Spurrier but in Gail's case she has choosen to take a step down to coach at a school that currently is not as good as Duke in women's basketball and certainly doesn't have the academic reputation that Duke has. Sure they might have more money but the fact that they have a women's athletic director should indicate not that they care more about women's sports but that they see men's and women's sports as being entirely different animals. That would bother me if I was Gail. Either way I wish the best of luck to the young women that commited their futures to Duke. I only wish the coach would have made the same commitment.