Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerald

Gerald

Chad Ford of ESPN still lists Henderson as 50/50 for declaring.

I hope it's not a coin flip at this point. I feel like we really haven't even gotten to see Gerald play yet, with the nagging injuries of the past season.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Could this happen?

This popped up a few weeks ago; basically, Chad Ford is an idiot and there is no chance Gerald will leave. I think he had some of those names down to fill up space.

he didnt even start all the games last year why would he leave?

Quote Originally Posted by JJweMISSu View Post
    does the name Marvin Williams ring a bell?

But he won a NC before he left right? I mean all Henderson has done is broke tyler hans nose

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    does the name Marvin Williams ring a bell?
    Not the same situation since Marvin was expected by many to be 1-and-done. Gerald leaving would be shocking. I don't think there's anything to it.

I'd be surprised if a guy from Bristol has inside info. that nobody has even peeped about on this site, in these boards, or amongst DBD fans...

Very ill-advised in my opinion and doesn't do much for his rep...

Quote Originally Posted by JJweMISSu View Post
    That is irrelevant, especially because of the NBA's infatuation with "upside."

Exhibit A: Corey "Uh-oh" Maggette-Oh

Exhibit B, or is it C: Luol Deng.

Edit: whoops, I take that back. LD was a starter. I should think before I write.

vango,
    He also has Eric Maynor and Stephen Curry listed. Nice players, but would be absolutley obliterated in the league. Henderson isn't even thinking about going.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    vango,
    He also has Eric Maynor and Stephen Curry listed. Nice players, but would be absolutley obliterated in the league. Henderson isn't even thinking about going.
    Agree completely. I can't even find a common theme amongst those whom he lists to get a clear understand of his selection process. It's kind of like a Wooden candidates list at the beginning of the season. GH will be impressing us all next year in Cameron I think...

stupid? yes. crazy? no.

Henderson showed only brief flashes of star ability in the acc this year. very brief. He was coming on a little at the end of the season but he was in no way a world-beater like Deng, Maggette or some of the others mentioned. So, him declaring for the draft sounds absurd. I can't completely dismiss it, however, because his father does have NBA connections and those seem to be able to boost a kid's draft position considerably. (can you say dunleavy third overall in '02? I mean, seriously, I love mike d and he was a tremendous player at duke but that was ridiculous.)

All of that said, I'd be surprised if he weren't back playing in CIS next season.

Edited to say: after looking at both rounds of the 2002 draft, there sure were a ton of duds that year. There are a handful of players who have had better careers than Mike's in the league but the vast majority of players selected that year have done little or nothing. Considering that, I guess selecting mike 3rd overall wasn't such a bad move, relatively speaking. Goodness, what a weak draft.

see for yourself: http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/02/index.html
    Last edited by devildownunder; 04-11-2007 at 10:31 PM.

I mentioned in another thread that Gerald has money since his dad was in the NBA and its a deep draft so he'd probably be better off not going pro this year. He's be what...mid-late first round? In a year or two, he's likely a lottery pick.

devildownunder-
    You could win some bets by asking people to name 3 of the top 5 draft picks in 2002! That is a very interesting list. You could also give people the list of the top 5 with question "What do these people have in common?" A surefire moneymaker. Good memory & research.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    devildownunder-
    You could win some bets by asking people to name 3 of the top 5 draft picks in 2002! That is a very interesting list. You could also give people the list of the top 5 with question "What do these people have in common?" A surefire moneymaker. Good memory & research.

lots of eye-openers there for sure.

Caveat

Quote Originally Posted by dukeisawesome View Post
    I mentioned in another thread that Gerald has money since his dad was in the NBA and its a deep draft so he'd probably be better off not going pro this year. He's be what...mid-late first round? In a year or two, he's likely a lottery pick.
    One of the arguments regarding Lawson leaving this year is that next year is a strong year for guards, which is the NBA position for GH. This year, while strong on low post players and small forwards, is relatively weak at both guard positions.

This year's supposedly strong draft is based on the projection made more than a year ago about the strength of this past season's freshman class, a projection that has collapsed.

Sure Oden and Durant (and to a much lesser extent Wright) have lived up to or exceeded their hype, but what about the rest?

Hawes is not a world beater.
    The FL players are not superstars.
    Crittendon and Young at Ga Tech showed flashes but were dissappointments overall.

Doyel (yeah we hate him, but he makes good points when he is not ripping K) points out that there is a strong dip off after Durant and Oden, and a further one after the two Wrights.

GH, based on his potential, could go in the late first round, or better with strong workouts. This year he showed reliable shoting from mid and long range, the ability to drive and finish near the rim, and solid defensive ability. The tools are all there. With a solid summer honing his game and a year of work in the League, he would be on his way to being a superstar.

The only knock is his asthma. We have talked about what a stud he will be if he takes care of that this offseason. Well, he could spend a delevopmental year or two in the pros, making good money and developing on a solid team, and then really take off in time for his next contract.

GH is a lot more polished than many kids entering the L. He is not just an athlete, his game, while not yet a finished product, is nice. All he needs is reps.

Next year's draft projects to be the oppositie of this one, where it is guard heavy. GH could surpass them, but he may not.

Also, next year at Duke, GH could be playing way out of position. At best he will spend virutally all of his time at small forward, rather than shooting guard. At worst (assuming that we will not have PP), if LT and BZ fail to progress, and TK cannot handle the defense, GH may have to play some at PF. Even his time at SF, which is not greatly out of position for him, will be played on a team with no or little significant post presence.

GH's dad and NBA connections may feel that GH can better develop in the league than out of position on a small team.

Also, let's not forget the Workout Warrior theory. If GH's asthma/oft rumored injury is better, then GH would wow at workouts. He might shoot up the draft board based on said workouts.

I think GH leaving would be a bad decision, but not outside the realm of possibility. It is unlikely, but not shocking.

It has been a bad year so far, why stop now?

Patrick Yates

Crittenton, Young and Hawes

Patrick – You put down Crittenton, Young and Hawes as being disappointments but their freshmen seasons were significantly better than Henderson’s. Besides, Crittenton is every bit as good an athlete as Henderson, has better skills and plays point guard; Young is bigger and has better skills, and Hawes is a seven-footer with good offensive skills. Personally, I don’t think any of these players have shown enough to play in the 24-second league but the league GMs have to select someone in the draft and why not take a chance on a youngster who may develop.

Your comment on the Workout Warrior reminded me of the defensive end from BC a few years ago who was nothing special in college but whose speed, strength and agility tested off the charts in the NFL workouts. As a result, he was drafted in the first round by, I believe, the Eagles. It turned out that he was a so-so football player and he was let go after a couple of years.

You also stated that Henderson was a reliable shooter from long range. I don’t believe that last year’s stats back up that conclusion. While his overall shooting percentage of 45% was OK, he shot just 32% from three-point land and 63% from the foul line.

I hope Henderson returns. The team can use another talented player and he should get the playing time needed to show off his skills.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Exhibit B, or is it C: Luol Deng.

Edit: whoops, I take that back. LD was a starter. I should think before I write.
    Not only was Deng a starter, but he showed that as a freshman he was willing to try and take a team on his back, and had the skills to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeisawesome View Post
    lottery pick? i doubt that but maybe middle of first round. If he would declare now he would be second rounder. Also i have a question. Will he even start next year?

Henderson's position

The silliest thing said in this thread is the suggestion that Patrick will be playing out of position next year at small forward instead of at shooting guard.

I don't mean to be mean -- okay, maybe a little -- but anybody who thinks there's any difference between the two positions doesn't know much about basketball and nothing about Duke basketball.

How long do you have to watch Coach K's teams to understand that they are virtually positionless? How often does he have to tell you that he doesn't force players into positional straightjackets.

Just last week, he was interviewed at the Nike Hoop Summit about Singler and was asked what position he'll play. K's response was "he'll play all over the floor."

Heck, even at UNC, where they do care about positions, Dean always made it clear that there was virtually no difference between 4 and 5 (the two post positions) and between 2 and 3.

Henderson playing "small forward" won't hurt his NBA preparation any more than it hurt NBA power forwards Brand, Boozer and Shelden Williams to play "center" at Duke.