Hating on Billy Joel

Wow... I just had to share this author's eloquent opinion of Billy Joel: http://www.slate.com/id/2209526/

This part especially cracks me up, re: "It's Still Rock N Roll To Me": "He thinks people can't stand him because he dresses wrong or doesn't look right. Billy Joel, they can't stand you because of your music!...It's not that they dislike anything exterior about you. They dislike you because of who you really are inside."

Wow, someone's really angry. If you've seen my post in the "favorite bands/musicians" thread, you'd probably know that I disagree with the author.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Wow, someone's really angry. If you've seen my post in the "favorite bands/musicians" thread, you'd probably know that I disagree with the author.
    I don't especially like his music, but, I admit, his Shea Stadium concert (last at Shea) may have been the best I ever attended. He was really good, and then Tony Bennett, Roger Daltrey, Steven Tyler and Paul McCartney showed up. Paul actually did the encore (Hey Jude).

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    One of the coolest musical moments I ever saw was at a Billy Joel concert. He was playing in Greensboro.

About halfway through the show, all the lights went out. At the time, I thought it was maybe part of the show, but it was completely in the middle of a song. And all the non-show interior stadium lighting went out as well. (I learned later that a truck had hit a transformer or something.)

About 15 seconds later, the power comes back on. The band members are kind of wandering around, and then they walk back to their positions, and then BAM! they're right back in the song, as if it was planned all along.

No couple minute discussion of where in the song they were, no one up front doing a beat count, just right back into their song, seemingly exactly where they were interrupted. That band was TIGHT.

Very, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    No couple minute discussion of where in the song they were, no one up front doing a beat count, just right back into their song, seemingly exactly where they were interrupted. That band was TIGHT.
    Were they "tight" or were they lip syncing? ;-)
    Last edited by TillyGalore; 01-30-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add winking emoticon as I was being a bit sarcastic. ;-)

Best Chance...

...of being witness to a concert snafu...attend in the Greensboro Coliseum.

What does the guy have against the piano man?
    Oh sure, he married a ditzy supermodel who in turn left him for a younger guy (who in turn left her for a younger girlll. payback can be a bit... ummm pain!).

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    ...of being witness to a concert snafu...attend in the Greensboro Coliseum.
    Hey now... don't bash that place, or I'll tell Matt Brown and he'll hunt you down like an animal. True story; I saw him get attacked by a wacko with a machete once, and immediately afterwards, soaked in his own blood and with paramedics hunched over him, he A) yelled at the guy and B) yelled at a cop to catch the guy and C) yelled at me to call his wife and get my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. back to the arena to make sure the day went smooth.

Oh, and Billy Joel sucks.

Someone is an "angry elf."

No but seriously, the article's author: may he burn in Hell. It's certainly not based in honesty and I dismiss it in a New York minute. I may be right, I may be crazy, but this author started the fire and if he doesn't go changin' Joel will release his secrets in the attic. Hey, it's his life, leave him alone.

It's a silly article. Joel probably backed out of an interview or something and he has an axe to grind. That or Billy took his girl.

-EarlJam

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My dad gave my sister "The Stranger" when we were kids, and I listened to it as much as she did. I haven't been a big fan of much after, but that album is a certified classic, and it keeps him off of my hate mail list.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey now... don't bash that place, or I'll tell Matt Brown and he'll hunt you down like an animal. True story; I saw him get attacked by a wacko with a machete once, and immediately afterwards, soaked in his own blood and with paramedics hunched over him, he A) yelled at the guy and B) yelled at a cop to catch the guy and C) yelled at me to call his wife and get my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. back to the arena to make sure the day went smooth.

Oh, and Billy Joel sucks.

I've nothing against Mr. Brown or his higher parking rates. I just recall some strange things from attendances at concerts there.
    Elton John hit in head with thrown pipe.
    Elton John show interrupted by discharged tear gas.
    Other things. These things pre-date Brown, to be fair.

i saw pete townsend hit roger daltry in the FACE about 2 min beofre they went on stage there, and then gave one of the most amazing performances as a BAND i've ever seen. Like they are best friends...

i've seen some wicked stuff at concerts...