Ditching cable for the web..

I'm considering canceling my cable (actually Direct Tv) and trying to set up a solution for using the web as my primary source of "cable" content at home. My thought is that I'll be able to pick up all the major networks for the majority of my programming through local digital signal, and can then stream other video online through Hulu, Joost, CNN, etc. I'm a little concerned about being able to watch both Duke and MLB but hoping ESPN 360, etc will cover me there. We are mac users so I was thinking about running this through a mac mini...I also read something about using AppleTv and boxee, though the setup was a bit beyond my technical skill set. I am open to other suggestions..Does anyone have an internet based setup for their primary TV? Any ideas or suggestions..

If it were me, I would not count on ESPN360 for all the Duke games. What about this Sunday's game against Virginia on FoxSportsNetwork?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    If it were me, I would not count on ESPN360 for all the Duke games. What about this Sunday's game against Virginia on FoxSportsNetwork?
    good point...foxsports games are on Nesn up here and occasionally preempted anyway by local sports (Bruins) but this would be a game that I would miss under my plan...maybe I'll wait until april and hope for more streaming options by next fall..

If you or anyone does find such a solution, PLEASE post. I currently live in an apt where cable is bundled into my rent, but I wouldn't otherwise pay and am desperately hoping that by the time I move out there is an online way to watch the games. The games are all I really want to have available.

Here's tutorial on how to do what you are talking about--MacMini+Boxee:
    http://lifehacker.com/5138423/cut-th...e-and-apple-tv

www.channelsurfing.net will get you cruddy and unreliable feeds for most sporting events.

Also, the feeds are almost assuredly in violation of copyright.

Have you tested your off-the-air digital TV reception? I recently tried it out at home, plugging an amplified antenna into my TV. It's mediocre at best. I guess I'm pretty far from WRAL's tower in Raleigh, and their signal kept going in and out. I had no problem getting the HD signal from WUNC in Chapel Hill.

Definitely test this before you make the switch.

How appropriate... LINK

I am curious about this too. AppleTV sounds limited and pricey. Boxee sounds very interesting if you have an extra PC lying around and are willing to roll up you sleeves a bit. If anyone has made the move (or does anytime soon) please post. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    How appropriate... LINK
    I watched that item on GMA this AM, also. It looks like a good possibility. I will do the watchful waiting thing on this. Too many questions come to mind, like what happens to my digital VoIP phone and Roadrunner connections if I dump Time Warner? This concept is very intriguing, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I am curious about this too. AppleTV sounds limited and pricey. Boxee sounds very interesting if you have an extra PC lying around and are willing to roll up you sleeves a bit. If anyone has made the move (or does anytime soon) please post. Thanks.
    AppleTV is EXCELLENT if you have a lot of downloaded video. You can watch it anywhere in the house you have a box and it all runs through itunes. It's not really that hard to put together b/c the Apple stuff finds each other...

I'm going to call out that article on its "all or nothing" statement on over-the-air digital TV broadcast. It's not quite true. We had to set up an antenna to get the Duke game a couple of weeks ago (the one were the Raycom game was overlapping it). The signal from WRAL must have been weak. When we first told our TV to scan the antenna for it, it couldn't find any WRAL stations. Then we moved the antenna and had it scan again. This time it picked them up. But they were very flaky. The channel was going in and out the whole time we were watching. It wasn't all or nothing. We had major pixelation throughout the whole time.

Note this was with picking up an HD quality signal. If you are just going for standard def digital, it was definitely better.

So if you plan to pick up HD signals over the air, be wary. You might need to put a big honking antenna on your roof.

I personally wholeheartedly encourage you to look further into this (research research research) but I am betting you will find more positive feedback in ditching cable and going ALL internet.

I am a part-timer at the moment and it friggin rocks! My older brother is full time and he loves it. Not only does he watch the more current programming, but he also has many avenues for oldie shows and such (vintage... 50's and 60's!). Doesn't pay a dime.
    He has an older computer and sure, it goes slow at times for him, but I am sure your computer is way more current and can just rock the movies, tv, games and whatever else you decide to explore.

I would suggest trying it for a month, go cold turkey. Just make sure you have a decent monitor! lol