I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

Last Game at the Spectrum

Flipping during timeouts in our game last night, I realized that the 'Nova-Pitt game wasn't at Villanova's very strange looking gym.

I had thought that it was at the Corestate, er, First Union, er Wachovia Center (soon to be Wells Fargo Center?) But it turns out it was the last college game at the Spectrum next door. It's going to be demolished sometime this year (or early next year.) Duke, of course, played a fairly memorable game there.

Here's an article about it...

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...-spectrum.html

(Besides the history, Villanova purposely did not schedule many games at the Wachovia Center in order to be eligible to play there for the NCAA tournament.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Flipping during timeouts in our game last night, I realized that the 'Nova-Pitt game wasn't at Villanova's very strange looking gym.

I had thought that it was at the Corestate, er, First Union, er Wachovia Center (soon to be Wells Fargo Center?) But it turns out it was the last college game at the Spectrum next door. It's going to be demolished sometime this year (or early next year.) Duke, of course, played a fairly memorable game there.

Here's an article about it...

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...-spectrum.html

(Besides the history, Villanova purposely did not schedule many games at the Wachovia Center in order to be eligible to play there for the NCAA tournament.)
    They did that in 06 when they were a 1 seed there. You can't play more then 3 games at a building or its considered a "home court." I would be stunned if they are able to stay at home if they are a 4 or 5 seed.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    They did that in 06 when they were a 1 seed there. You can't play more then 3 games at a building or its considered a "home court." I would be stunned if they are able to stay at home if they are a 4 or 5 seed.
    Well, I think 'Nova thought they were better. I saw them play Navy, and I'll say it was their first game after exams, but I didn't see a top twenty team that night. Navy, I thought, out played and out coached them, were within 3 points inside three or four minutes. I've been spoiled, but I didn't see a team, I saw five individuals.

I agree, there are too many teams in the east that will be ranked higher. UConn at this point's probably a lock for Philly, and I'd guess they'll send the second or third team from the ACC there too, depending on how high Pitt is ranked. I would hope that if it's two ACC and two Big East ranked above the third ACC team, they'll send one from each conference to each site, rather than double up on the same conference, remembering our experience in Charlotte a few years ago. So I guess that'll mean us and Pitt in Greensboro, UCon and Wake in Philly, and the Evil ones in Boise. :-)

That would be funny if the Holes got sent to BK Arena in glorious Boise. Maybe someone can set Tyler's ping pong table up on the blue turf for him.

Navy might win the Patriot League, not that Nova should struggle with them.

I think the 3rd ACC becomes a 2 or 3 seed depending on W-L in the East and will head to Philly.