Tommy Amaker to Harvard

Interesting. Former assistant/player under K in Tommy and close friend of K in Mike Jarvis both competing for the same job (although it looks as thought Harvard is more interested in Tommy than Tommy in Harvard).

Amaker and Harvard

This story made me remember back to the "Harvard -- the Duke of the North" t-shirts that the student store sold years ago. Good luck to Tommy -- he is one of the nicest guys out there.

I remember that shirt very well because I owned it, and wore it like three times a month or something when I was in 8th grade.

I'm now terribly embarrassed for ever having owned it and regard such as an indiscretion of youth. It's a key document in the history of textbook Duke SHRYMP-envy, USNews-worshiping, and generalized arrogance.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I remember that shirt very well because I owned it, and wore it like three times a month or something when I was in 8th grade.

I'm now terribly embarrassed for ever having owned it and regard such as an indiscretion of youth. It's a key document in the history of textbook Duke SHRYMP-envy, USNews-worshiping, and generalized arrogance.
    SHRYMP-envy? Stanford/Harvard/Radcliffe/Yale/MIT/Princeton?

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Radcliffe?

Radcliffe? Do all Harvard women grads formally get a Radcliffe diploma? Because I know the other top women's colleges aren't competing against Duke.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by EagleDevil View Post
    Radcliffe? Do all Harvard women grads formally get a Radcliffe diploma? Because I know the other top women's colleges aren't competing against Duke.

Chris
    I've often wondered that.

The Wiki article seems to indicate that they've been fully legally merged since 1999. From 1977-99, the degrees awarded to women were dual. If this is correct. So not anymore, apparently.

I assume Radcliffe is included in SHRYMP because nobody could think up a clever acronym if they tried to include Cal Tech instead. Or Chicago, or WashU or...

Barnard apparently still exists somewhat independently from Columbia. Vassar went co-ed in 1969 rather than merge with Yale.

Cue quotations of multiple Simpsons Seven Sisters jokes.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 04-07-2007 at 09:37 PM.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Yeah - Barnard is independent

Yeah - Barnard is independent, although all classes are cross registered as are classes at Union Theological (and I believe at least some at Jewish Theological and Manhattan School of Music). Columbia tried to absorb Barnard, mainly to get control of their endowment, which is huge. However, Barnard was able to fight them off. Women can apply either to Barnard or to Columbia and the two schools have a separate faculty and separate departments. In my area (Earth Sciences), the Barnard Department concentrates on environmental issues and leaves us to teach the basic geology courses (structural geology, stratigraphy, mineralogy, sedimentology, geophysics, etc). But a lot of our students end up taking environmental classes from them, so it works out.

Jim

C'mon

That line was always a joke. When I got to Duke in 1960, the school was facetiously being called the 'Harvard of the South.' So the natural response was that Harvard was the 'Duke of the North.' No one ever took that seriously. It was just fun, not arrogance. No one at Duke in the 60's believed we were anywhere near as good as Harvard. We were good; we didn't think we were the best as Harvard (or maybe Yale or Princeton) was/were all ahead of us. We were Duke. And that was (and is) damn fine.

So if anyone mistakes that line for arrogance, please put them straight.
    Last edited by Jim3k; 04-08-2007 at 03:10 AM. Reason: grammar

WashU?

I've often wondered that.

Or Chicago, or WashU or...
    WashU really? Coming from out west in the late '80's, Wash U was never on the radar screen at my public high school where we routinely put a few people(6-7) into the Ivy's(high and low)/Stanford/Chicago and when I went Duke. Perhaps it has risen due to the US News mentality?

Amaker to Harvard

Congratulations and good luck to Tommy Amaker. I'll be following the Ivy League next year.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

As a Yalie, I'm going to have trouble cheering for Amaker at Harvard, but it would be great to have someone of his stature in the Ivy League.

Graduated from Harvard of the South so I guess Amaker would be a shoe-in.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Graduated from Harvard of the South so I guess Amaker would be a shoe-in.
    That's funny... I coulda sworn my shirt from freshman year said "Harvard - Duke of the North"...

At least he didn't go to Princeton. Go Tommy!

Penn '96

ESPN: Amaker to Harvard

According to Andy Katz, Harvard will announce Amaker's hiring on Friday:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2833517

One thing good about going to Harvard, dont have to worry about keeping you teams grades up.

Quote Originally Posted by JJweMISSu View Post
    One thing good about going to Harvard, dont have to worry about keeping you teams grades up.
    ....but it has gotta be tough to field a team without offering athletic scholarships.

I have to think he will succeed there. U of M was a tough place coming off the probationary period and dealing with, what I understand, is woeful facilities for a school like that...

Good luck to him -