Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by notonemore View Post
    If anyone thinks Coach K wanted Nolan Smith switching to cover Johnson, you're way off base. That's a dooms day scenario. NO WAY would he want Noilan Smith to intentionally switch on Johnson 2 feet from the basket in ANY situation, let alone that one.
    I agree with your points on G not being well-positioned on Johnson and turning his head. I disagree with you about the switch. Teague outruns McClure across the lane heading to the corner, and it appears that Nolan motions to G to cover Teague.

This Duke team switches as much as any Duke team I can remember, and if they can't recover, they live with it and rely on ball pressure to keep the pass from going into the mismatch. Clearly one of the things K likes about Nolan over Greg is that it is not as much of a mismatch if he happens to switch onto someone bigger. If G had been properly positioned and holding Johnson away from the basket before the switch, then at the time of the switch Johnson would not have been 4 feet from the basket.

Do you not think EVERYONE had that expression? Answer this question moon,
    Would you put Smith under the basket in that situation????? And again, watch the replay. Smith wasn't beaten, G was.
    You don't seem to listen very well. Nobody is saying G was screened. Whoever was on Teague lost him, either due to a screen or some other reason; G was supposed to switch onto Teague and Nolan was supposed to switch onto Johnson. Obviously it didn't happen that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    They don't need to be "big-time" options, but more than 2. I wholeheartedly disagree with the comparison to the 05-06 team (my senior year, btw). But, as you saw with that team, having just 2 consistent scorers is not the way to reach your full potential. Remember, JJ Redick and Shelden Williams never made a Final Four without Luol Deng.

None of the past few national champs have relied on two players the way we did last night. I realize it's just one game and the sky is not falling. I'm just saying that Nolan and Zoubek have averaged 7.7 and 5.4 ppg respectively over the past 10 games. Personally, that makes me a little uneasy. Sure, Henderson has exploded over those same 10 games but on the road to a Final Four, you can bet there will be a night were two out of Scheyer, Singler and Henderson struggle. What then?

Some nights, and at some point come March, it's gonna be on a Nolan or a Zoubek to produce. And they've tended to disappear on the offensive end at times, more and more lately. IMO, that cannot continue. We can get away with it against NC State and UVA but not against the kind of teams we're going to have to beat to reach the team's ultimate goals. And last night was a prime example.
    I'm sorry if I misunderstood your original post, but it seemed to me you were saying even if Scheyer comes back it's not enough. But if he breaks out of his slump it'll be three players not two, and I think that would be plenty. We average 80 points a game and I don't think we need more offense. I also happen to think that if something happens to one of the big three (or big two, if you prefer) then other guys will step up.

I also don't think our problem last night (if indeed we had any problems) was a lack of offense. I thought we did pretty well against one of the top defenses (statistically, at least) in the nation. I thought our problem (if any) was that we lost a little focus on defense at the beginning of the second half (and then again on the last play, but that wouldn't have mattered if we'd stayed tough for the first part of the second half).

FWIW, last year Memphis' top two scorers (Rose and CDR) scored a higher percentage of their team's points than G and Kyle do for Duke this year (41.3% vs. 39.6%). Nobody else on that team averaged double figures and they came within one missed free throw of winning the national championship. So it's possible this is not as big a deal as some people think.

Can you see?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You don't seem to listen very well. Nobody is saying G was screened. Whoever was on Teague lost him, either due to a screen or some other reason; G was supposed to switch onto Teague and Nolan was supposed to switch onto Johnson. Obviously it didn't happen that way.
    I stand by my analysis, as does Coach Knight. IF we are wrong and you are right, congratulations. I do know what I saw. G OUT OF POSITION, giving Johnson the baseline. If I can't listen (actually read), you can't see. Secondly, G never switched off as you claim, NEVER. He DID however turn his head. He did not as you say, switch. LOOK AT THE REPLAY. Was a switch called by someone? I have no idea. But the instant he turned his head, Johnson broke, the INSTANT, like I have explained about 10 times. Johnson made a great play, though it was still a basic response to what the defender gives you, and beat us. Why don't you give him credit for beating Gerald, and stop trying to prove me wrong. In this case, it's history, on video and there for everyone to see. Watch CLOSELY Kedsy, because you obviously are missing it, though it did happen quickly. I will explain SLOWLY for you what happened, one more time. G faces Johnson prior to the inbound pass. He slides slightly to his right, Johnsons left, still prior to the pass. this was his first mistake. About this time he turns his head towards the breaking Teague coming across the lane, again before the inbounds pass. This was the critical mistake. Why? This put him completely OUT OF POSITION, on Johnsons left side, giving, yes giving him the unguarded step to the rack. This is what happened.

Why is being out of position so important in this case, other than the situation? Because Nolan Smith of all people was in the lane under the basket. As I said earlier, let's hope and pray Coach K did not want THAT matchup. Johnson vs Smith from 1 foot at the buzzer to determine the outcome? I PROMISE (well, HOPE) Coach K is smarter than that. It's a perfect situation if you are a Wake fan, and the LAST matchup we wanted. The LAST. Really Kedsy, it is the very worst matchup we could have asked for, though it never happened anyway. Johnson was contested by Singler and Smith, after the ball left his hand.

I have no idea why you are so determined to prove me wrong. All anyone has to do is watch the replay to see what transpired. I say, GREAT design by Dino, and perfectly executed by Johnson and whoever made the pass. It was the easiest bucket for a win in that situation I have ever seen. Ever. Do you not agree? "Nuff Said" on this subject, because if you don't see it by now, you never will.

I now have much more respect for you guys that have been posting and reading on here for years. wow.

It is easy to blame one play for the loss. 33.3% FG percentage, 4-22 on 3pt shots, 9 blocked shots, 15 turnovers to Wake's 11 turnovers. Had Wake not made a few mistakes of their own in the last few minutes we wouldn't be arguing the last play. And Duke did play their way back into the game so I give them credit.

A critical point in the game, and this was called by John Roth on the radio, was from 4 straight trips down court after defensive stops from the 7min to 5 min mark where Duke didn't score. At the 8 min timeout on radio Matthew Lawrence said Coach told them we have plenty of time, we are shooting two free throws from here on out, drive to the basket, lets score at the line. Next play they did, next three we shoot three pointers. Matthew Lawrence said during one of the timeouts Coach has yelled at them pleaded with them, nothing was getting them to respond.

You loose a game for several reasons. Not just the last play. But, does make you sick to allow a lay up on the last play after fighting back to get tied.

Now, my take on the last play is G was on the wrong side of Johnson.

Also, what about the 3 at the end of the first half on the inbounds play. Who was guarding who there?

I have no idea why you are so determined to prove me wrong. All anyone has to do is watch the replay to see what transpired.
    I'm not trying to "prove" you wrong. If you weren't so intent on arguing you might notice nobody's been arguing with you. First you spent several ranting posts declaring that G wasn't screened, when nobody had said that he was. Now you're snarling that G never switched, when what I said was he was supposed to switch. Why do you think he turned his head? This shouldn't be controversial -- the players said after the game that G turned his head when Nolan called on him to switch but that Nolan was slow to switch onto Johnson.

You can stand by your analysis all you want. What you need to do is stop being so confrontational.

I'm OK with that

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    I now have much more respect for you guys that have been posting and reading on here for years. wow.
    Really I am. But can I simply ask you what part of my analysis you disagree with? Elaborate as to what you think happened, since you consider I and Coach Knight are wrong. We may in fact be mistaken, but let's hear your analysis of the final inbounds play. If you prove I'm incorrect, I will readily admit I saw it incorrectly.

I'll apologize Kedsy

I'm not trying to "prove" you wrong. If you weren't so intent on arguing you might notice nobody's been arguing with you. First you spent several ranting posts declaring that G wasn't screened, when nobody had said that he was. Now you're snarling that G never switched, when what I said was he was supposed to switch. Why do you think he turned his head? This shouldn't be controversial -- the players said after the game that G turned his head when Nolan called on him to switch but that Nolan was slow to switch onto Johnson.

You can stand by your analysis all you want. What you need to do is stop being so confrontational.
    If I was confrontational. It just seems to me that all the blame was put on Nolan Smith, and that's unfair. Several people agree with me that G was out of position, and I will stand by that. Look, I love Gerald Henderson. I think he is great. Really, I do. But we all make mistakes and he did, if I may say that. But I think Nolan Smith is getting a bad rap here, being the scapegoat and I for one will take up for him.

I even agree with you Kedsy that a switch must have been called, and that's why G looked around. I thought of that, honestly. But he was already out of position when he turned his head. With Johnson only about 2 steps from the rack, NO way Nolan can cover him in time when he had the opening to the baseline. Why? Because he had the angle..It was all but impossible.

And again, even with all this analysis we must give the Deacons credit. They took advantage of what we gave them. Anyway, sorry for appearing confrontational Kedsy, but I was actually taking up for Nolan. Plus, think I have a pretty good understanding, and I guess I took offense to your remarks of a lack thereof. Thus, an apology is extended. Seriously.

FWIW, last year Memphis' top two scorers (Rose and CDR) scored a higher percentage of their team's points than G and Kyle do for Duke this year (41.3% vs. 39.6%). Nobody else on that team averaged double figures and they came within one missed free throw of winning the national championship. So it's possible this is not as big a deal as some people think.
    Freaking awesome point. Makes me want to look at all the teams that made it to the elite 8.

Out of bounds play

If I was confrontational. It just seems to me that all the blame was put on Nolan Smith, and that's unfair. Several people agree with me that G was out of position, and I will stand by that. Look, I love Gerald Henderson. I think he is great. Really, I do. But we all make mistakes and he did, if I may say that. But I think Nolan Smith is getting a bad rap here, being the scapegoat and I for one will take up for him.

I even agree with you Kedsy that a switch must have been called, and that's why G looked around. I thought of that, honestly. But he was already out of position when he turned his head. With Johnson only about 2 steps from the rack, NO way Nolan can cover him in time when he had the opening to the baseline. Why? Because he had the angle..It was all but impossible.

And again, even with all this analysis we must give the Deacons credit. They took advantage of what we gave them. Anyway, sorry for appearing confrontational Kedsy, but I was actually taking up for Nolan. Plus, think I have a pretty good understanding, and I guess I took offense to your remarks of a lack thereof. Thus, an apology is extended. Seriously.
    That one play did not beat us, but it sure was in plain sight for everyone to see and comment on. I don't really know who's fault it was, but I do know that Nolan stepped up and took the blame for the play. I usually agree with Coach K 99% of the time, but this is the 1%. I think Zoubek should have been guarding the inbounds pass. Nolan should not have been left under the basket to be easily shot over. With Kyle in that spot it would have been much harder to score. I hate to say the dreaded word but Zone would have been the best way to go. Make them beat you with an outside shot. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by PutMeInCoach View Post
    It is easy to blame one play for the loss. 33.3% FG percentage, 4-22 on 3pt shots, 9 blocked shots, 15 turnovers to Wake's 11 turnovers. Had Wake not made a few mistakes of their own in the last few minutes we wouldn't be arguing the last play. And Duke did play their way back into the game so I give them credit.

A critical point in the game, and this was called by John Roth on the radio, was from 4 straight trips down court after defensive stops from the 7min to 5 min mark where Duke didn't score. At the 8 min timeout on radio Matthew Lawrence said Coach told them we have plenty of time, we are shooting two free throws from here on out, drive to the basket, lets score at the line. Next play they did, next three we shoot three pointers. Matthew Lawrence said during one of the timeouts Coach has yelled at them pleaded with them, nothing was getting them to respond.

You loose a game for several reasons. Not just the last play. But, does make you sick to allow a lay up on the last play after fighting back to get tied.

Now, my take on the last play is G was on the wrong side of Johnson.

Also, what about the 3 at the end of the first half on the inbounds play. Who was guarding who there?
    This is real interesting stuff. Real interesting. Apparently K did not think that the kid from Wake could keep on making plays at the rim as he had been doing earlier--that his guys could, would find a way to draw a foul aka Scheyer early in the second half when he drove from the left side looking like he was going to take a righty hook and switched to his left.

Seeing this gives terrific insight into K leading the guys into the final stages of a terrific battle. Wow, really enjoyed this. Thanks!

Anyway, sorry for appearing confrontational Kedsy, but I was actually taking up for Nolan. Plus, think I have a pretty good understanding, and I guess I took offense to your remarks of a lack thereof. Thus, an apology is extended. Seriously.
    OK, apology accepted. I didn't intend to disparage your basketball knowledge in any way, and I don't think I did (though I admit I may have questioned your reading comprehension skills). This can be a tough board for a newcomer; it helps to develop a thicker skin.

OK, apology accepted. I didn't intend to disparage your basketball knowledge in any way, and I don't think I did (though I admit I may have questioned your reading comprehension skills). This can be a tough board for a newcomer; it helps to develop a thicker skin.
    How can you disparage the knowledge of someone just as great as Bobby Knight?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I fundamentally disagree. G was a very talented player who was waiting for it to click. It was all an upward slope for him with a few blips here and there where he showed what he could really do earlier on. He wasn't slumping at all. Jon has actually fallen from a higher level of play in terms of offensive production. He is in what people call a slump.
    Hi,

Sorry it took me awhile to respond... had a Board meeting yesterday.

I believe these are young men still learning ("waiting for it to click") and they're bound to cycle (have slumps). IMO, G is on a major up cycle and, unfortunatley, Jon is currently on a substantial down cyle. Over time, G & Jon's play will shift the other direction. Here's a quote from G on the subject:

“For different guys during the season, guys will be playing great and at different points, guys will be off,” G said. “I’m experiencing that now – I’m very confident on both ends of the floor. I’m playing my best basketball that I’ve played since I’ve been here. I just hope to maintain that and stay consistent.”

In response to your "waiting for it to click" view, I'd say almost all entering Freshman are "waiting for it to click" and that's a process that repeatedly occurs (at least for the most talented who can continue to elevate their game) throughout a player's time in college. IMO, Jon & G continue to work on making it click at a higher level even at this point in their college career. Here's a quote from G on the subject:

“Some players come into college and they just have it – like a [Michael] Beasley or a [Kevin] Durant,” Henderson said. “For most guys, it’s a process. I can just go back to DeMarcus. I looked up to him. When I got here, he wasn’t the same player that he left being. He also had a lot to grow.”

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Freaking awesome point. Makes me want to look at all the teams that made it to the elite 8.
    Here's a funny one: the top two scorers on last year's UNC team (Hansbrough and Ellington) scored an even higher percentage of their team's points (44.2%) than Memphis' top two, and significantly more than Kyle and G's 39.6% of Duke's points this year.

On the other hand, last year's UNC team turned out to be not so good, didn't they?