Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Wake Forest 70, Duke 68 Post-Game Thread

Discuss the game here.

How was that a travel? I dont get it. amazing comeback though

MBB Wake 70 Duke 68

Not a loss to be ashamed about.

Best game you could have expected. We all knew who was the more athletically talented team coming in, but Duke did a great job of showing why they're a Final Four contender.

Gritty comeback, tough loss.

If Teague doesn't make that ridiculous three at the end of the first half...

What a fantastic game to watch!

I suspect we can blow any other team out if we just shoot moderately well. The trouble is, we almost never do so.

Well I can tolerate that loss a lot better now since we were able to tie it up with 2.6 seconds left. If it had just gone downhill from when Wake went up 13 I'd be a lot more upset.

And is it just me, or did we seem to have so many really close shots that just didn't go in for some reason? Rim-outs and other unfortunate things.

What a great play call from Gaudio. I was faked out, looking either for the lob or step back. Perfect execution on the screen. My hat is tipped. Revenge will be had.

Next play.

Very poor travel call at the end there on Henderson.

Got grabbed in the air, then landed on a Wake player that had fallen under him. Very huge call.

Regardless, it was amazing that Duke was in the game at all. They were thoroughly outplayed other than on the boards. I'm actually encouraged by the fact that they almost pulled it out despite not playing well, shooting well, and playing on a hostile court.

BTW... since when do you storm the court after beating a ranked team when you're ranked almost as high?

The fact that Wake knows they got bailed out makes me happy. We played bad and still managed to come back. We'll pound 'em in Cameron!!

I'm not clear on how G traveled either. If anything, it should have been a foul on the person bringing him to the ground, and he gets two shots to win...oh well, I guess that's home cooking for you. Great comeback though, im just disappointed in that traveling call..

Let me just say, what an effort to make that comeback and tie the game. Thrilling game to watch!

The one play you have to guard against and not let happen is a play under the basket with such little time. Unreal. What a bummer after such a great comeback.

Great Game

Great game, great effort by Duke to keep coming back. Give Wake credit, they played well.

Duke had chances, but it's tough to win when you're playing 5 on 8 most of the way.

Neal

Anti-Man of the Match: that damn zebra...

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    What a great play call from Gaudio. I was faked out, looking either for the lob or step back. Perfect execution on the screen. My hat is tipped. Revenge will be had.

Next play.

well he pushed Henderson but I can't really tell if he pushed him hard of if Hendo went to go check the guy at the 3 point line thinkin gsomeone was going to help behind him.

Fantastic comeback by Singler and Henderson with a smart play by Scheyer on his rebound. In the end, lack of mobility in our big men makes it hard to overcome teams like Wake. Still, a great effort - some teams would have lost by 20.

Singler, motm.

Hard fought game. I hate to see Duke shoot so poorly but they fought hard and came back.

I personally do not believe in that travel call at the end but what can you do? In overtime, Duke would have prevailed.

The fact that Duke shot so poorly yet still only lost by 1 shows me how good this team is. I am proud of them.

GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by concrete View Post
    well he pushed Henderson but I can't really tell if he pushed him hard of if Hendo went to go check the guy at the 3 point line thinkin gsomeone was going to help behind him.
    It looked like someone missed an assignment. I don't think Hendo would have been shrugged off that easily, even by Johnson.

Hey, can't complain. The fact that we were in the position to go to OT at the end was amazing, given our performance for most of the game. That was a tough road test against a great team, one of the elite teams in the country. We will play them better in the second game, and it'll be at home. Everyone not named Kyle or Gerald gave us almost nothing, save some huge free throws from Nolan and that big rebound from Jon.

Wake Forest obviously has a lot of height, and that hurt us, because our tall guys are role players and theirs are pretty good, if not stars. Their defense really disrupted our already mediocre offense, and our defense had trouble containing Wake Forest (who has the highest FG% in the league). Hey, it sucks that we lost and there are some things to be pissed about (surely coach K is) but overall I'm impressed with how we never gave up, and ready for our next game. We won't play that poorly every night, and we won't play a team that good most nights.

Glad that one is over!! Received me an infraction on the board for this one. Is it possible to still see that we are the best and toughest team in the country even after a game like this? If we could have just settled down a little sooner, this game could have been totally different. We just came out slow and a lil awed at the atmosphere. Or was it there size? But a nice come back and we can see their weaknesses now. I say we use this as a learning tool and keep it in mind when they come to Durham!!

"Very poor travel call at the end there on Henderson.

Got grabbed in the air, then landed on a Wake player that had fallen under him. Very huge call."

agree. many times at wake i feel we get jobbed by the officials, but i have no real beef with them tonight except for that call.

was something wrong with smith? he sat for long periods and did not play well at all. sick?