Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

I, for one, hope Gary Williams sticks around

Keep in mind, I'm talking about the current version of Williams, the sad sack who fails to have his team ready to play with any consistency and blames everyone possible for his own shortcomings. It's fun to watch. I also wish Matt Doherty was still coaching UNC, for reasons that are obvious to everyone not named Jason Evans.

With that said, how long of a leash does Gary have? If they totally flame out this year, is there any chance he's sacked in the off season?

I'd just hate to see "Sweat Gary, Sweat" go away!

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Keep in mind, I'm talking about the current version of Williams, the sad sack who fails to have his team ready to play with any consistency and blames everyone possible for his own shortcomings. It's fun to watch. I also wish Matt Doherty was still coaching UNC, for reasons that are obvious to everyone not named Jason Evans.

With that said, how long of a leash does Gary have? If they totally flame out this year, is there any chance he's sacked in the off season?
    My buddies who live in MD (Duke fans in enemy territory) report that public sentiment is turning pretty strongly against Gary. This would be a highly scientific sample of man-on-the-street, guys-in-the-bar, and sports talk radio but getting nasty FWIW.

No inside info, but certainly AD Debbie Yow has no love for Gary. In tight economic times, the size of a Gary Williams buyout could be an issue.

Thumbs up Billy, there's an important rule in college athletic programs...

...."Don't anger the A.D.!"

Pat Kennedy,who was very successful in the ACC (two 2nd place finishes in FSU's first two years), learned that lesson.
    If Yow has a top candidate in mind who would take the job, then Ol' Sweatty is expendable.Perhaps not before next year, but after next if this and the following season are substandard and recruiting is disappointing.
    Hope is very important; next year's incoming players may well buy a few years more time for GATech's coach,one of the more underwhelming talents in college hoops.
    I hope Gary and Paul Hewitt stay for a long time as I want Duke to have a strategic advantage over its opponents in talent(MD) and in coaching(GATech).

Best regards,
    Blueprofessor

Tony the K, in Washington Post on-line today, has a video interview in which he makes a very spirited defense of Gary who apparently is a very close friend. Watch out, sports fans, T does have his claws out.

Physical Maryland Players

In the headline story, DPR lists "Physical players Gary Williams has yet to apologize for." I believe they left out an important one: Ekene Ibekwe. Wasn't he the Maryland player who elbowed Daniel Ewing in the head, prompting Bob Donato to call a Technical on Ewing, which started the trend of calling Technicals on Ewing?

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Tony the K, in Washington Post on-line today, has a video interview in which he makes a very spirited defense of Gary who apparently is a very close friend. Watch out, sports fans, T does have his claws out.
    Excellent! A wailing and gnashing Gary who manages to stay employed but on the hot seat for several years is a best case scenario.

Excellent! A wailing and gnashing Gary who manages to stay employed but on the hot seat for several years is a best case scenario.
    Not understanding the connection, but thanks for the link, whatever it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I love Tony. However, he is not always correct. I am a University of maryland alumni who will NEVER root for Maryland as long as Gary Williams is there.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I love Tony. However, he is not always correct. I am a University of maryland alumni who will NEVER root for Maryland as long as Gary Williams is there.
    Yet another reason I hope Gary sticks around. We need to keep allen's loyalties pure.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about the current version of Williams, the sad sack
    Am I the only one who hears the sad Charlie Brown music playing when you see Gary Williams on TV? Good grief!

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Am I the only one who hears the sad Charlie Brown music playing when you see Gary Williams on TV? Good grief!
    Gary Williams is a blockhead. I'm not even sure he could pick out a decent X-mas tree.

Smile A sports fan needs villains

I learned this about myself 10 years ago at the NCAA subregionals in DC, where Bob Knight's Hoosiers were one of the teams. (This was prior to the K-Knight rapprochement at the HOF induction.) I loathed Knight but found myself rooting for his team to survive a first round game only so I could root against his team two days later.

Wow, I said. Having someone to despise is part of the attraction of being a fan.

ACC fans outside Maryland will want to keep him around.

sagegrouse
    'I don't despise Gary because he is a good coach and his disgraceful antics, even when horrifying, are sorta amusing'

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I love Tony. However, he is not always correct.
    Tony, always correct? He rarely does "correct" except on network stuff, finds it boring I think. Tony prefers not to come to the defense of his close friends on the air, aka Larry Brown; have heard him say so on the radio pretty often I think. Interesting?

Keep Gary

We need for gary to remain at md. I love loveable losers. Wait gary and the twerp are not loveable. I can't believe he's whining about physical play. He's gotten to the point he has to blame anyone or anything but himself. Recruit and coach gary and things will get better. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    He's gotten to the point he has to blame anyone or anything but himself.

His trademark is his rants during games which are uttered in the direction of some poor reserve or assistant coach on the bench.

RE: A sports fan needs villains

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I learned this about myself 10 years ago at the NCAA subregionals in DC, where Bob Knight's Hoosiers were one of the teams. (This was prior to the K-Knight rapprochement at the HOF induction.) I loathed Knight but found myself rooting for his team to survive a first round game only so I could root against his team two days later.

Wow, I said. Having someone to despise is part of the attraction of being a fan.

ACC fans outside Maryland will want to keep him around.

sagegrouse
    'I don't despise Gary because he is a good coach and his disgraceful antics, even when horrifying, are sorta amusing'
    Good point. While I despise Gary and would love to see him fired, there is something to be said for having someone to hate in sports. While the hatred is there for unc, I don't have quite the vitriol for Deputy Dog that I do for Gary. Let him suffer for awhile before he gets canned.

I also wish Matt Doherty was still coaching UNC, for reasons that are obvious to everyone not named Jason Evans.
    Well... see... I thought that when Carolina got rid of Doh, they would hire Dereck Whittenburg.

--Jason "...for the good of the rivalry..." Evans

Yet another reason I hope Gary sticks around. We need to keep allen's loyalties pure.
    I've always had a "second' team that I root for when not rooting for Duke. In the Lefty days it was always the University of Maryland. Since then it has been NC State. Except for when they are playing Duke I want State to win.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    His trademark is his rants during games which are uttered in the direction of some poor reserve or assistant coach on the bench.
    Yes, but part of that trademark is the fact that he is also producing Moe Szyslak-like amounts of sweat at the same time.