Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A snowy winter

A snowy winter

I live just north of Boston, and I'm pretty sure we've already had significantly more snow than last year. It hasn't passed the melting point in weeks, so the snow pile from shoveling out my car is now almost as tall as the car.

And we're supposed to get 12 more inches or so tomorrow.

Needless to say, I'm absolutely loving it. What's your snow situation like?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We had 2 inches last week, which is the most we've had in at least 5 years. I built a snowman using 3 snowballs.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    What's your snow situation like?
    We are clear and dry in and near the Triangle area, thank goodness. Looking forward to sunny, warm, dry and "still" next week in CA. Still, as in no earthquakes.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Currently 73 on the way to a predicted 77. No snow yet!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We had 2 inches last week, which is the most we've had in at least 5 years. I built a snowman using 3 snowballs.
    I understand. Growing up in Charleston, it was exceedingly rare that we would see any snow at all. So, for me, every snowy day is like a magical treat made of working from home and awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Currently 73 on the way to a predicted 77. No snow yet!
    Yuck. There are these things called seasons that are pretty cool. You should look into it.

Yeah was 75 when I got off work yesterday. Today looks the same and tomorrow should bring 78 and sunny!!

I live just north of Boston, and I'm pretty sure we've already had significantly more snow than last year. It hasn't passed the melting point in weeks, so the snow pile from shoveling out my car is now almost as tall as the car.

Flurrying outside my office window right now!

On the season, Seattle has been hammered. Shut the city down for about a week and a half around Christmas time. I'm quite confident we've gotten more snow within the city already than we do in an average year.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Here in DC it was lightly snowing briefly yesterday, but nothing was sticking. By nighttime it was clear.

I wake up a little bit ago to find the ground currently blanketed white. Good thing I'm working from home today.

Chicago is at 41.6" season-to-date. (That's through the 22d, but it hasn't snowed here since then.) That's about what we're supposed to get for the entire season.

We're supposed to get another inch or two tonight.

It's effin' snowing out here again. As pfr notes, Seattle's gotten a*lot* of snow this year, the most since the early 80's, apparently. Argh.
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 01-27-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: And by a lot, I mean, "for Seattle standards."

Yuck. There are these things called seasons that are pretty cool. You should look into it.
    After spending 25 years in MD, I don't need no stinkin seasons!!!

This is exactly why I don't live outside Boston anymore.

I<3 winter without snow.

I loved the 4 inches we got last week but now its just cold. Cold is God's worst invention. Its pointless. That is the plight of an eastern North Carolinian though.

It would be great to just pick a month of snow and have summer the rest of the year. If it were up to me I'd make everyday be between 60 and 85 degrees. Except for December 1st through January 1st. At this time it would snow an inch every other day. Just enough to get your fill and then back to pleasant weather and a green biosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Cold is God's worst invention. Its pointless. That is the plight of an eastern North Carolinian though.
    It kills the mosquitoes. Not so pointless.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    It kills the mosquitoes. Not so pointless.
    And cold areas have few, if any, roaches. That's one of the main reasons I could never imagine living in the south again.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    This is exactly why I don't live outside Boston anymore.

I<3 winter without snow.
    Here in Lexington, we had 1/2 inch of snow last night...
    followed by 1/2 inch of ice.

Please edit your statement... the ice is worse than the snow.

Oh... and we're getting a Round Two later today.

Thumbs down Side note

Fortunately, they closed down the univeristy today. Lots of power lines coming down. Unfortunately, lots of trees are snapping.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Here in DC it was lightly snowing briefly yesterday, but nothing was sticking. By nighttime it was clear.

I wake up a little bit ago to find the ground currently blanketed white. Good thing I'm working from home today.
    Look for more snow and cold weather in DC.

Al Gore is scheduled to testify Weds. 1/28 before Senate Foreign Relations Committee on global warming. His record of public appearances and accompanying low temps/snow is pretty strong. A better indicator than that groundhog dude in Punxsutawney.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Look for more snow and cold weather in DC.

Al Gore is scheduled to testify Weds. 1/28 before Senate Foreign Relations Committee on global warming. His record of public appearances and accompanying low temps/snow is pretty strong. A better indicator than that groundhog dude in Punxsutawney.
    As Drudge is always thrilled to point out. Because clearly that disproves climate change.