For What its worth

We're #1 for the first time since JJ and Sheldon roamed the floor.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...l/usatpoll.htm

I know it's largely meaningless, but I'm happy about it. It's good to be back on top.

Now, I'll be even happier if we're in this position in a week.

I wonder...

...if we'll read it in the local bird cage liners.
    Bless their hearts.
    Love, Ima

We are also still the only team in the NCAA that has beat every team they have played... that sounds cool, right?

ACC

I'm happy for this team to be ranked #1 in the nation because they have not had lot's of compliments from the media, opponents and even some of our own fans. They have bought into Coach K's attitude of defense wins games and are playing fantastic D. Wake is #4, unc #6, and Clemson #11 in the ESPN/Coaches poll. Now let's do what Wake could not do, hold onto the ranking for awhile. Go Duke!

I'm guessing the one vote for Uconn(victs) was from Boeheim. They don't make the voters choices public, do they? Hopefully, we can hang onto #1 for a while. I guess it's nice, but doesn't mean much.

That's great, but who is Sheldon?

We're #1!

In ESPN poll. UCONN #2.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

#1 in both polls. In the AP, UConn got 6 1st place votes, Pitt got 3, and Oklahoma got 1. Not sure what those writers were watching, but glad to see our boys back in the #1 spot!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

AP poll

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post

#1 in both polls. In the AP, UConn got 6 1st place votes, Pitt got 3, and Oklahoma got 1. Not sure what those writers were watching, but glad to see our boys back in the #1 spot!
    Do you think that unc #5 and Wake #6 in the AP poll has anything to do with the unc journalism grads voting that way? I'm suprised unc wasn't #1. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post

I don't agree with those votes, but I don't think they're absurd, either. They are all one-loss teams, and UConn's one loss to Georgetown and Pitt's one loss to Louisville are definitely not bad losses. (OK's loss to Arkansas is not so good, though.) I think Duke still wins out based on our SOS and the strength of our defense. We have the #2 defense in the country, along with the #6 offense, according to Ken Pomeroy (Louisville is #1, but their offense is not nearly as good as ours and they have been inconsistent). So yeah, I definitely think Duke deserves the nod at #1, but one could probably make a case for the others, given their records.

Ok, we're in great position now that we're ranked #1. Just like in football, all we have to do now is win out and we're guaranteed the national title!

My favorite seasons are the ones where 4 teams get first-place votes, like this week. And the commonly accepted "most-talented" team didn't get any. This should be a very exciting year.

Georgetown at #25? My how quickly things change. They could miss the tournament or be back in the top 5 in a month.

There's something happening here
    For the first time in about 3 years
    Number 1 ranking is clearly due
    For the Devils who wear white and blue

You better stop, hey, whats thats sound
    Everybody look what's going' down.

With this thread title, how could I resist?

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit King View Post
    That's great, but who is Sheldon?
    Sheldon Williams. I hope you are just playing by asking. He was the center on JJ's team. As to the topic of this thread i feel so much better right now than i did before Christmas. When Carolina was just running over lessor teams and all my Tar Heel friends were talking how they were the best team ever. It feels so good to finally be back on top!!!!!!!!!! Now lets take care of business and win a national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by chadlee989 View Post
    Sheldon Williams. I hope you are just playing by asking. He was the center on JJ's team. As to the topic of this thread i feel so much better right now than i did before Christmas. When Carolina was just running over lessor teams and all my Tar Heel friends were talking how they were the best team ever. It feels so good to finally be back on top!!!!!!!!!! Now lets take care of business and win a national championship.

You may be new here, if so, let me be the first to tell you that DBR users are pretty persnickity about player names. In this case, its Shelden Williams, not Sheldon. Its a common mistake, but you can understand how superfans expect other fans to know the names of the players, and how to spell them, particularly the famous ones.

Look out UCLA!

What I like about being No. 1 again -- and it's been FAR FAR TOO LONG -- is that it puts us back in the hunt to overtake UCLA as the team ranked number one the most number of weeks in the history of these rankings. We're still No 2 in that listing (7 weeks ahead of unc, which had been pulling up pretty fast this season) and now only 23 weeks behind UCLA. Let's chip away at that UCLA number for another 10 weeks or so!

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    We are also still the only team in the NCAA that has beat every team they have played... that sounds cool, right?
    No, it sounds lame. And yes, I know what you mean. But it's like those weasel-y arguments Texas football fans made about beating Oklahoma head-to-head. A statement that, while not false, lacks a more truthful context.

Feel free to say it all you want, but this college basketball and we're better than that.