Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    You mods should remember this exact same argument in the future...
    I believe that posts providing information - such as the information provided by J&B - are accorded substantial leeway by the mods.

I remember Doug from the early '70s show "Search". It is funny to recall what the futuristic "computer geek" could accomplish compared to today. Even wild imaginings could not predict where we are today. Well, except maybe for Orwell in "1984".

2. Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Exactly. No one here was trying to be nasty towards J&B, who do great work that is much appreciated. The slip of the fingers just provides a reminder that even smart, knowledgeable folks can misspell a name and not a) be idiots or b) have nothing of value to contribute. We're all buddies gathered to discuss Duke basketball. Playful ribbing for a mistake is great but, speaking as someone who definitely takes himself too seriously at times, it's a good reminder that none of us needs to get bent out of shape over a careless moment of typing.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Best comment in this whole thread, which has become way too serious.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Yeah, making fun of the fact that newspapers are laying people off left and right is hilarious! Totally deserves a winky face. And copy editors -- who are punching out a ton of material at rapid pace on a daily basis --check for stuff like grammar and major issues, not the spelling of the name of an obscure BBQ place in another city.
    Sorry, if you didn't appreciate the joke. It was a joke. The point still stands that the article in the Post is being put out by professionals being paid to do a job.
    Last edited by tbyers11; 01-25-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    And copy editors -- who are punching out a ton of material at rapid pace on a daily basis --check for stuff like grammar and major issues, not the spelling of the name of an obscure BBQ place in another city.
    I doubt this article had a copy editor checking it for grammar in the first place. Look at the first freaking sentence!

"Before catching our flight home after yesterday's game, Patrick Stevens of the Washington Times joined Eric Prisbell and I for a quick meal at Bullock's Bar B Cue in Durham."

It is kind of sad that someone who chooses journalism as a profession messed up "I" versus "me" in an article.

(Looks like Bullock's is spelled correctly now.)

Since everyone here knows that I have no sense of humor, I'll be the one to call this the end of the line for this thread. Stray's post nicely sums up our position on the matter.