Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Wake Forest 70, Duke 68

Today's Duke-UMD game is a worst case scenario for Wake and Gaudio.

Ostensibly, having a full week off before the Duke game is GOOD. Unless of course, you have to spend that week thinking about a BAD home loss. It being the first loss of the year is especially bad, becuase you are never sure how a young team will rebound after losing its first game. This is compounded by every national media outlet and commentator repeating said questions about how WFU will react.

After the VT game, WFU's only solace was the hope that Duke would have a physically and emotionally draining game against a team that usually shows up big against Duke in UMD. Gaudio had to have woken up today hoping that Duke would at least get tested, and pushed, and that Duke's key rotation would have to log heavy minutes.

Um, no. Instead, Duke blows out a quasi rival, and gets great games out of its posts, who had been struggling. Everybody shot lights out, and we play great D. Basically, everyone gets a shot of confidence going forward. Not only that, but the key rotation does not play heavy minutes. Today was little more than a light workout for the team.

Today could not have gone better. The only slight negative is that I hope Duke saved some of that outside shooting for Wednesday, cause we will need it.

Gaudio's only plus is that he can use tape of today's game to scare the bejeezus out of his team and get them to prepare hard. Given that their psyche's are probably a little frayed right now, that will be a tight rope to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Today's Duke-UMD game is a worst case scenario for Wake and Gaudio.

Ostensibly, having a full week off before the Duke game is GOOD. Unless of course, you have to spend that week thinking about a BAD home loss. It being the first loss of the year is especially bad, becuase you are never sure how a young team will rebound after losing its first game. This is compounded by every national media outlet and commentator repeating said questions about how WFU will react.

After the VT game, WFU's only solace was the hope that Duke would have a physically and emotionally draining game against a team that usually shows up big against Duke in UMD. Gaudio had to have woken up today hoping that Duke would at least get tested, and pushed, and that Duke's key rotation would have to log heavy minutes.

Um, no. Instead, Duke blows out a quasi rival, and gets great games out of its posts, who had been struggling. Everybody shot lights out, and we play great D. Basically, everyone gets a shot of confidence going forward. Not only that, but the key rotation does not play heavy minutes. Today was little more than a light workout for the team.

Today could not have gone better. The only slight negative is that I hope Duke saved some of that outside shooting for Wednesday, cause we will need it.

Gaudio's only plus is that he can use tape of today's game to scare the bejeezus out of his team and get them to prepare hard. Given that their psyche's are probably a little frayed right now, that will be a tight rope to walk.
    They should be afraid. VERY afraid.

Keep the crowd in the stands

I really like Wake except when they play Duke. We need to beat the Deacs to keep those ugly tee shirts in the stands. Wake fans lead the world in rushing the court when Wake wins. You would think they won the ACC tournament or the NCAA tournament from the way they come onto the court. Act like you've been there b4. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Wake fans lead the world in rushing the court when Wake wins. You would think they won the ACC tournament or the NCAA tournament from the way they come onto the court. Act like you've been there b4. Go Duke!
    They just barely edge out Florida St. for the title there

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    You're right. It is pretty close and VT is in the race also. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    The storming of the court vs the Holes I felt was clueless. Your both top 5 teams, and you beat them on your home floor. You are supposed to do that. I just didn't understand that.

Hmm...

Everybody shot lights out...
    Not so sure about that.

Kyle 3-9
    Jon 4-13
    Overall 42.5%

Wake Forest is not to be taken lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Not so sure about that.

Kyle 3-9
    Jon 4-13
    Overall 42.5%

I'll take the 42.5% though. Kyle is not going to shoot much better from 3 point territory as that's not the strength of his game. It was good to see Jon hit those 4 threes even if it did take 13 shots. So I'm satisfied with our play going into the Wake game. I imagine it put some doubt in Wake's mind after their last performance. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Not so sure about that.

Kyle 3-9
    Jon 4-13
    Overall 42.5%
    Between missed layups by Singler, Scheyer, and Plumlee we could have easily broken 100. But that's just being greedy.

Ok, heads up!

Wake Forest is a great team and they are going to be very difficult to beat at home. We destroyed a Maryland team today that was almost totally outmatched in terms of athletic basketball talent; we need to feel really good about our win and also keep it in perspective.

I can't think of a better test for our Devils than this one (outside of playing over at Chapel Hill).

The first order of business is to greatly slow their all-league guard, Teague. Secondly, we must win the rebound battle. Hit our free throws along with slowing Teague and winning the boards, and we win.

You guys may think I'm crazy saying this, but here goes: I think our greatest advantage going into this particular game is WE GOT SUPERMAN AS OUR COACH.

This should give us the edge!

dukestheheat

I haven't seen a line for this game, but I'd be very surprised if Wake wasn't favored. We have been playing great, but have yet to square off against the elite of the conference (UNC, Wake, Clemson, Miami). Our early ACC schedule has been favorable.

They are a very capable offensive team and this will be a real test of our vaunted defense. If we let Teague break us down off the dribble, we're in trouble because he's got a nicely developed mid range game and, if he draws our bigs, has some big targets to distribute to in Johnson, Aminu and McFarland. In the words of Shooter from Hoosiers, "You gotta squeeze 'em in the paint...make him chuck it from the cheap seats...watch that purgatory they call a gym...no drive 12 feet in...that'll do". Granted, they have good shooters, but I'd rather they beat us from 3 then own the inside and win a war of front line foul attrition. Zoubek's improved play, on display in today's "game" against the Terps, will be sorely needed. The 1-3-1 trapping has been really effective, but it feels like Wake's guards should be capable of beating that kind of pressure. It will be interesting to see how K doles out that half court press. McFarland worries me...we always have a hard time with big guys like him that are aggressive on offense (for some reason, Luke Schensher and Andrew Brackman come to mind)

On offense, we've got enough weapons to go after whatever they don't primarily take away. Our 3 point shooting has steadied, and it would be nice to come out hot. We've got to put some kind of pressure on their bigs so I hope Z gets some touches. A Singler/Johnson match-up would be epic...you know Kyle won't back down from trying to drive so it will be interesting to see how Johnson defends. Scheyer should also challenge Aminu off the dribble. There are going to be great match-ups all over the floor.

This one is too close to call.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I haven't seen a line for this game, but I'd be very surprised if Wake wasn't favored.
    Last weekend Louisville was favored over Pitt b/c Pitt was on the road, and that was #1 vs. #20, so considering this is gonna be 1 vs. 4 or something, I think you're right.

This is a big game for both teams, but there will be several (3, 4, or more) equally if not bigger games throughout the season prior to the tourney so let's not get too caught up either way.

Actually, I would LOVE if they tried to beat us with the 3. According to Pomeroy, of their FGA, 20.1 percent have come from 3-land. This ranks 342nd (!)....out of 344 teams. Their percentage (33.3 percent-192nd) isn't all that great either. The 3 pointer is simply not a big part of their offense. If given the choice, I'd rather them go bombs away from out there than have Teague knife through the lane at will.

There are a few big questions that face us for the Wake game, but one I think is key that'll be way overlooked by the media (in favor of the size difference and Teague) is whether Duke can limit turnovers against Wake and thus make them play a half court game against us.

Our big men, Lance and Zoo, are prone to turning the ball over inside, and with their bigs, I can see that happening an awful lot. Teague, Aminu, Johnson (and heck even Ish Smith) can quickly turn Turnovers into instant offense.

Similarly, Teague can quickly go court to court and score a quick 2 if the D doesn't get back in time.

In essence, I compare this game very similarly to the Carolina game. Both Carolina and Wake have a variety of threats both outside and inside, and both of them can catch you off guard for easy points (Carolina with lawson).

Wake's big differences are that its depth is inside (Whereas Carolina has better outside depth imo) and that its D is better than UNC's. I think we can handle their D if we don't turn it over. But that's the big question right there, can we not turn the ball over.

If I'm Duke, I either start Mcclure, or start Zoo and give him a really really short leash. I expect to be outrebounded here, but if our D is solid we can survive that. Turnovers will be killer.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Tough Game

This will be the toughest game of the season to date. The game is away and Wake Forest has just lost a game. They also know they can beat Duke based on last year's win. Duke does not match up well against this tea,. They will try to dominate the boards and try to force turnovers. Duke will play hard and Wake has shown that they are a bit fragile when pushed. I expect very close game and Duke will need to be very good in the least few minutes to pull this out.

Even though I am FAR, FAR from the most optimistic Duke fan, I want to keep some other things in perspective.

Yes, Duke gives up a lot of size. And yes, Teague is a stud. It will be a hard game.

But, for all that Duke has yet to face the top teams in conference, Wake has yet to face a top Defensive squad. WFU gets credit for beating two of the top teams in UNC and Clemson. Really? REALLY? UNC ok, sure, but it was AT Wake Forest, and UNC barely lost after playing a mediocre game. And Clemson has been soundly beaten by two of the better ACC teams. Everyone says this year is different, but it may very well be that Clemson will come back to earth now that the Conf play has started.

Wake has yet to see ANYTHING like the defensive pressure that Duke employees. Most importantly, Duke has a stellar defender at the point to take on Teague. Nolan, Jon, or Gerald will present a better defender than anyone Teague has faced. We can actually slow down Teague. If we do that, WFU will come apart. VT took Teague out of his game, and Wake sputtered. Teague will still have a good stat line, but if he really has to work for it, WFU's flow will suffer.

WFU is a great team. But Duke is also a great team. We have both played VT at our respective houses. WFU was roundly defeated by VT. VT was in control most of the game. We, OTOH, dusted VT at our place. That will stick in Wake's Mind also.

It is a toss up, but Duke's D could cause real problems for WFU.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Ok, heads up!

Wake Forest is a great team and they are going to be very difficult to beat at home. We destroyed a Maryland team today that was almost totally outmatched in terms of athletic basketball talent; we need to feel really good about our win and also keep it in perspective.

I can't think of a better test for our Devils than this one (outside of playing over at Chapel Hill).

The first order of business is to greatly slow their all-league guard, Teague. Secondly, we must win the rebound battle. Hit our free throws along with slowing Teague and winning the boards, and we win.

You guys may think I'm crazy saying this, but here goes: I think our greatest advantage going into this particular game is WE GOT SUPERMAN AS OUR COACH.

This should give us the edge!

dukestheheat
    You're not crazy, except in a Cameron sort of way!

Wake has yet to see ANYTHING like the defensive pressure that Duke employees. Most importantly, Duke has a stellar defender at the point to take on Teague. Nolan, Jon, or Gerald will present a better defender than anyone Teague has faced. We can actually slow down Teague. If we do that, WFU will come apart. VT took Teague out of his game, and Wake sputtered.
    Agree. Wake is many things, but rock solid is not one of them. They are prone to acting out (McFarland esp.) and not pulling together; still a young team with leadership issues. Fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Agree. Wake is many things, but rock solid is not one of them. They are prone to acting out (McFarland esp.) and not pulling together; still a young team with leadership issues. Fragile.
    I think you're underestimating the difficulty of limiting Teague. I feel confident our half court defense can handle him, but its transition d and turnover prevention that I think will be the problem.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est