View Poll Results: Who is your 2nd favorite ACC team?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boston College

5 3.42%
  • Clemson

22 15.07%
  • Florida State

1 0.68%
  • Georgia Tech

12 8.22%
  • Maryland

4 2.74%
  • Miami

5 3.42%
  • North Carolina State

36 24.66%
  • Virginia

15 10.27%
  • Virginia Tech

9 6.16%
  • Wake Forest

37 25.34%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I went with Wake Forest... hearkening back to my high school days with Dave Odom, Tim Duncan, Rusty LaRue, etc etc. (GT was also high on my list back then with Bobby Cremmins and Drew Barry.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I was afraid some fool would embarrass all of us and vote for UNC and try to justify it with the idiotic "the rivalry is better when they are good, I have so much respect for their program, blah blah blah" drivel.
    I saw every team had at least one vote and then I got really pissed off for a second, till I saw that UNC wasn't an option.

The folks (and athletes) in Raleigh were truly friendly back in my day. Anyone remember the WolfPack Inn (State's athletic, errr, hotel, ah, dormitory)? A wild place, to be sure. But as I say, the residents were generous and friendly, even to us strange Yankees who visited there.

After I graduated, it did not surprise me that whatever his faults they hired Jim Valvano, a man impossible not to like. It fit.

And their support of Kay Yow, and her clear and consistent goodness and decency all the years, reflects immeasurably well on the school.

My only knock on them is that I don't think they appreciated Herb Sendek, who could get more out of talent than most coaches. But again, Sendek was another principled man.

Gotta say VTech... grew up watching them. State is probably 3rd because of their hatred of Carolina, but VTech has to win for me.

2nd favorite

Is Wake.Our youngest grandchild,Max,comes from a "house divided.He pulls for whoever is home when Duke & Wake play. Smart kid. We do make sure he gets to

# 2

Sorry, cat jumped in my lap & onto my laptop.

We make sure Max has way more Duke stuff than Wake.Also make sure he gets to Duke games. We took him to the Meadow Lands for the Dec. game. I do have to pull for Wake if we are not playing them for Max (11 yrs old).

I nearly went to Wake, so I had to go with the Deacs. Great campus and, from all my experiences, nice people (I remember getting a call my senior year of HS from a Wake student wondering if I had any questions about the school that could help in my selection process; no other school called me). Of course these fond thoughts will be put aside for the entirety of next week.

Ga Tech

I grew up in ATL, and my Dad thought Bobby Dodd and Whack Hyder hung the moon. Gotta go with the Jackets for Dad's sake (RIP).

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    I grew up in ATL, and my Dad thought Bobby Dodd and Whack Hyder hung the moon. Gotta go with the Jackets for Dad's sake (RIP).
    You don't know Tech if you don't know Bobby Dodd.

Hell, to tell you the truth, I was ignorant to the fact that Heisman was our first coach until I was walking around the Dodd offices and looking at all the trophys. It is truly remarkable.

I went with GT since one of my brothers went there, plus they have a cool fight song. Close behind would be Wake & NC State cause they're both in-state & they are not unc.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

To be honest, I don't really have another ACC team that I find myself wanting to watch in a "fan-like" manner. I cheer for the ACC in general, as I have great pride in believing that our conference in the best in America, and just hope everyone -- outside Carolina, of course -- wins against non-conference foes.

For poll purposes, however, I selected Clemson, since I enjoy great outside shooting, especially from shooters with unlimited range. And Terrence Oglesby has that.

In the past, I might have said Wake Forest, as I absolutely loved the game of Randolf Childress, what he did to us in the '95 ACC Tournament notwithstanding.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I have to go with NC State. Growing up in the middle of tobacco road, I always rooted for State anytime they were not playing Duke. Plus like us they hate the holes with passion. I wish they could right the ship over there and get the men's bball program to a consistent NCAA tourney team. But I am not sure they can achieve that with el Sid at the helm.

Sad to see Kay Yow pass, she was a remarkable person and coach. Rest In Peace Kay...

I gotta go with Duke's 2nd five.

Me too! It's Dave, Lance, Greg, Elliot, and #5.

The bf is a huge Miami fan so i went with the Canes. I do enjoy watching McClinton play and had a good time watching/rooting for their baseball and football teams this past season.

Md is definitely at the bottom of my list (well as far to the bottom as you can get without being lower than UNC, that's a given of course) along with VT (mostly because my Dad and Sister are huge UVA fans).

For the rest of the league I'm pretty much apathetic. I root for them outside of the conference of course but in ACC games I want the result that best benefits Duke.

UVa was my alternate favorite ACC school a while back. My older sister went there and I learned to like the school through visiting her and the ensuing osmosis. Today though it's NC State. Got to know State well as my wife got her PhD there and now I'm getting my Master's.

Looks like State is edging this one out.

Thanks to a high school friend who went there I managed to see several games in Reynolds, including three Duke games. (I returned the favor by sneaking him into Cameron a couple times. I will now accept my punishment.) This included the tail end of the Valvano era.

The sightlines in that building were awful, but it was always a boisterous crowd, and it felt even more old-school that Cameron. A strong NC State makes the ACC more fun. I hope they return to greatness, as long as said greatness don't involve reatedly defeating us.

Wake, OTOH... there was a post I read on a Wake board once that sums my feelings up: "A lot of programs that we think we're superior to have gone to a Final Four more recently than we have."

Only one choice

I chose Clemson, PURELY because of Klemnop.

Otherwise, I'd like to see the "none of the above" option.

Quote Originally Posted by Klemnop View Post
    How come Duke is not an option? I can't participate in the poll!?!?!
    Funny.

Hmmm, 2nd favorite ACC school. Let me think about that for a nanosecond or two...

Actually, any school is a FAR, FAR distant 2nd...