Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    As for the "we beat Duke" thing, you have to understand that it was Gtown's first win over a number 1 ranked team in over a decade. It was a coming of age for JT3 as a coach and the revived Hoyas as a program. It still lingers as a signature win, but it's hardly a focus. I should also say that there are a number of us who are fans of both Duke and Gtown, but we aren't particularly vocal on the boards - I'll admit that showing affection for Duke is just asking for trouble. As a sports board, DBR is far superior (and generally classier except for feelings about UNC) to what I've seen for any other team, unfortunately.

But it isn't just Gtown. *Everybody* hates Duke outside of the core Duke fan base. Ask any fan of almost any team. It's a shame, but it's the way it is.

I think that underneath the superficial animosity, there's a respect for the Duke program.

Having said all that, getting whacked by WVU was huimiliating. I was there, and the 'eers' fans were numerous, boisterous and crude. I haven't been that miserable at a sporting event ever . . . except for when Duke played Belmont and WVU at Verizon Center. I'm not sure why the home crowd was weaker for that game than for other BE conference games, but it definitely was.

The Hoyas have some talent, but they are young and inconsistent. They can beat anybody and lose to almost anybody.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Seton Hall...really. My god GTown, how do you go from challenging at Cameron to losing at Seton Hall?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Wow, is G'town still a quality win? They played awful.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Wow, is G'town still a quality win? They played awful.
    Well, at least Duke beat them at home. Which is more than I can say for UConn.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    What was impressive on TV was that WVU seemed to be getting bigger cheers than the host Hoyas. Probably there were more Hoya fans but that the considerable number of Mountaineers had a heck of a lot more to cheer about.

One thing that I have found living in the DC area for decades is that the metro area is full of people from (a) Western PA, (b) upstate NY (esp. Buffalo), and (c) WVa. Needless to say the DC economy the past 20-30 years has been more vibrant than those locations.

When the sainted Redskins played the Steelers on Sunday or Monday night in November, there seemed to be more Steelers than Redskins fans (or maybe it was those infernal white towels) (or maybe it was the asinine NFL TV schduling that makes paying customers stay out in the cold past midnight on a work night).

sagegrouse
    The towels are yellow-- and yes, the people who wave them are hideous-- talk about getting your identity tied up in a mercenary pro sports team that you support-- uggh.