Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This years curse

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Wow. It's like Duke curse. Didn't Purdue and Xavier do the same thing? Highly ranked teams play Duke and lose. Then they lose again. It's like a loss to Duke equals an automatic two-game losing streak. Looking foward to playing UNC
    You must have been reading my mine. It does indeed look like when beat a good team, that team then loses a game or two b4 righting the ship. If they right the ship it will not hurt us come seeding time, but if they don't it will not help us for sure. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    On that basis it'd be real hard to pull for WVU over Georgetown
    I wouldn't consider WVU's fan base arrogant. WVU fans just know that WVU sports are really really good.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Anyone recall the "Saluki Hangover" the annoying Southern Illinois fan kept insisting Duke would have?

Every since that game, teams that Duke beat seem to have the 'SaDukie" hangover and lay an egg in their next game. Taking that beatdown from Duke appears to have a lingering affect!
    That Saluki fan never did quite make it back here as he promised!

Game Observations

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    On that basis it'd be real hard to pull for WVU over Georgetown
    I second that! I had free tickets to last night's game at Verizon, so I figured what the heck. The WVU fans reminded me why I put them slightly AHEAD of MD fans on my list of biggest (insert favorite derogatory term). They were just how I remembered them at the NCAAs last year. Now mind you, I have no problem with visiting fans cheering for their team, but I can't believe how obnoxious these fans are. Just within the nearby rows I witnessed several near-altercations. Why would you feel the need to wave a WVU flag in another fan's face?! Why would you think you're well-representing your school by pointing your finger in another fan's face as you yell "Georgetown sucks!"?! I found myself suddenly becoming a passionate G'town fan, which takes a LOT. WVU fans should not be allowed in arenas that serve alcohol. Of course G'town probably could've shut them up with the slightest bit of effort on the court. The only thing worse than their offense was their uninspired defense. I guess it was the Duke hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty1911 View Post
    I second that! I had free tickets to last night's game at Verizon, so I figured what the heck. The WVU fans reminded me why I put them slightly AHEAD of MD fans on my list of biggest (insert favorite derogatory term). They were just how I remembered them at the NCAAs last year. Now mind you, I have no problem with visiting fans cheering for their team, but I can't believe how obnoxious these fans are. Just within the nearby rows I witnessed several near-altercations. Why would you feel the need to wave a WVU flag in another fan's face?! Why would you think you're well-representing your school by pointing your finger in another fan's face as you yell "Georgetown sucks!"?! I found myself suddenly becoming a passionate G'town fan, which takes a LOT. WVU fans should not be allowed in arenas that serve alcohol. Of course G'town probably could've shut them up with the slightest bit of effort on the court. The only thing worse than their offense was their uninspired defense. I guess it was the Duke hangover.
    Just watching on TV I was pretty amazed at how little the Georgetown fans cared, no cheering, no student section, lots of empty seats. OTOH, WVU travels. 3 and a half hours away, they will take your empty seats.
    ~rthomas

Smile Ya Hoo, Mountain Dew

What was impressive on TV was that WVU seemed to be getting bigger cheers than the host Hoyas. Probably there were more Hoya fans but that the considerable number of Mountaineers had a heck of a lot more to cheer about.

One thing that I have found living in the DC area for decades is that the metro area is full of people from (a) Western PA, (b) upstate NY (esp. Buffalo), and (c) WVa. Needless to say the DC economy the past 20-30 years has been more vibrant than those locations.

When the sainted Redskins played the Steelers on Sunday or Monday night in November, there seemed to be more Steelers than Redskins fans (or maybe it was those infernal white towels) (or maybe it was the asinine NFL TV schduling that makes paying customers stay out in the cold past midnight on a work night).

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    What was impressive on TV was that WVU seemed to be getting bigger cheers than the host Hoyas. Probably there were more Hoya fans but that the considerable number of Mountaineers had a heck of a lot more to cheer about.

One thing that I have found living in the DC area for decades is that the metro area is full of people from (a) Western PA, (b) upstate NY (esp. Buffalo), and (c) WVa. Needless to say the DC economy the past 20-30 years has been more vibrant than those locations.

When the sainted Redskins played the Steelers on Sunday or Monday night in November, there seemed to be more Steelers than Redskins fans (or maybe it was those infernal white towels) (or maybe it was the asinine NFL TV schduling that makes paying customers stay out in the cold past midnight on a work night).

sagegrouse
    The WVU fans were definitely compensating for their smaller numbers with louder voices. Their team also helped by giving them reasons to cheer. I'd be embarrassed if I were a G'town fan, letting their home court be taken over. I guess that's what you get though when you play in an NBA arena. It definitely reminded me why Cameron is so unique. It was night and day going from CIS last Saturday to Verizon last night.

Georgetown is undersized, plays virtually all the time with three guards. They have been struggling to get what they "want" on offense. They still make plays, but not getting what they want, especially for a JTIII team, has to be dispiriting. It also allows other teams to play with more freedom, looser on offense.

When Georgetown's offense clicks, they are a very good team. When it doesn't, often not so much.

I think that Georgetown competed very hard against Duke, that three of their players made lots of plays on offense even though Duke often made its offense break down, and that, yes, that game might well have influenced its flat performance last night.
    Last edited by greybeard; 01-23-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Just watching on TV I was pretty amazed at how little the Georgetown fans cared, no cheering, no student section, lots of empty seats. OTOH, WVU travels. 3 and a half hours away, they will take your empty seats.
    Does GTown play in the MCI Center? I cannot remember. Heck it has been so long since I was in DC I dunno if it is even called the MCI center anymore!!!

But if they do play in the MCI Center I could see all of the above happening since it wouldn't be like a true home court.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blue Devil View Post
    Does GTown play in the MCI Center? I cannot remember. Heck it has been so long since I was in DC I dunno if it is even called the MCI center anymore!!!

But if they do play in the MCI Center I could see all of the above happening since it wouldn't be like a true home court.
    Yes, Verizon Center (formerly known as the MCI Center). Occasionally a great environment (e.g., against us), but usually too NBA-like (think t-shirt launchers and cheesy promotions). Also, it's easy for visiting fans to get tickets.

Yes, Verizon Center (formerly known as the MCI Center). Occasionally a great environment (e.g., against us), but usually too NBA-like (think t-shirt launchers and cheesy promotions). Also, it's easy for visiting fans to get tickets.
    That is what I was thinking. That is tough to be a true home team in an environment like that.

The problem is G'Town's true home court, McDonough, seats something like 2,500. Not too great for that big-game atmosphere, either.

NC Central seats almost twice that.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    In my years of supporting Duke, initially I concerned myself only with whether we won or lost. However, over time, I also found myself beginning to so dislike certain programs that I hoped they would lose whenever they take the court. Over time a team might get included or deleted from the list, but for me the list always includes UNC-CH, UConn, Maryland, Arizona and Kentucky. In recent years GTown has been moving into that category. Good on ya Mountaineers!
    Interesting assortment of teams there. A couple ACC teams, a SEC team, a Pac-10 team, and a couple Big East teams for good measure. You've pretty much got the gambit!

It makes me sad when Bob Huggins wins a (big) game.

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    Why Georgetown and Arizona? Is 'Zona because of Lute?
    Many Dukies who have been around long enough have a healthy dislike of Arizona because of the games we played against them back in the early 1990s.

We had a nice series with them and they jobbed us with Pac Ten refs who appeared to have been paid off on two occasions when we played them on the West Coast. K was so angry about it he canceled the series and we have not played Zona, outside of a tournament setting, since then.

-Jason "Jim Sumner or one of the other historians on this board will have better info" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Many Dukies who have been around long enough have a healthy dislike of Arizona because of the games we played against them back in the early 1990s.

We had a nice series with them and they jobbed us with Pac Ten refs who appeared to have been paid off on two occasions when we played them on the West Coast. K was so angry about it he canceled the series and we have not played Zona, outside of a tournament setting, since then.

-Jason "Jim Sumner or one of the other historians on this board will have better info" Evans

Jason my memory says you pretty much have it right. One of the refs was probably Ed Hightower. I don't like arizona, unc, maryland, u-conn but not in that order. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    I doubt the Duke fan base figures much on their radar screen. The anti-Duke fan base is much larger in the DC area than the Duke fan base. What they probably find insufferable is hearing Dick Vitale extolling the virtues of Duke rather than the Duke fan base itself.
    From my experience with close friends who are currently georgetown students, flase. They hate us, like really hate us.

Quote Originally Posted by MADevil30 View Post
    From my experience with close friends who are currently georgetown students, flase. They hate us, like really hate us.
    They sell a sandwich at the student union called the "We Beat Duke."

Quote Originally Posted by bwi2 View Post
    They sell a sandwich at the student union called the "We Beat Duke."
    That's really kind of sad. They're not even on our radar. And not our condescending, full-of-ourself, not-radar like UK or Maryland or UConn, where really the team is kind of a rival but we're too snooty to admit it. GU--they're really not even in our top 10 teams we think about.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    That's really kind of sad. They're not even on our radar. And not our condescending, full-of-ourself, not-radar like UK or Maryland or UConn, where really the team is kind of a rival but we're too snooty to admit it. GU--they're really not even in our top 10 teams we think about.
    I love your avatar. Have I said this? You are the man.
    ~rthomas