Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WVU just beat the hell out of Georgetown

And GT was at home. Whoohooo.
    ~rthomas

West Virginia is solid, so it's not a terrible loss, but I would want Georgetown to do as well as possible since it would make our win over them look more impressive when it comes to the NCAA tourney committee seeding us. As such, I'm not too pleased with the loss.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Oriole Way; 01-22-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    West Virginia is solid, so it's not a terrible loss, but I would want Georgetown to do as well as possible since it would make our win over them look more impressive when it comes to the NCAA tourney committee seeding us. As such, I'm not to pleased with the loss.

Just my opinion.
    I agree with you.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I agree with you.
    I'll second that!

Yeah, I feel the same way. We have to just worry about us though and take care of our own business. The talk of "G'town was just overrated when Duke beat them" is coming, so don't let it fluster you.

Hmm.

Wow. It's like Duke curse. Didn't Purdue and Xavier do the same thing? Highly ranked teams play Duke and lose. Then they lose again. It's like a loss to Duke equals an automatic two-game losing streak. Looking foward to playing UNC

The Big East is the greatest conference in the history of basketball. Results like this are to be expected as these superpowers play each other.

This proves that the BEast is incredibly deep and full of teams that can perform among the elite in the land. On the other hand, Va Tech beating Wake just proves that top of the ACC was not as good as everyone thought.

--Jason "do I qualify to be an ESPN announcer now?" Evans

All I have to say is: WVU just beat the hell out of Georgetown. Woohoo!!!
    ~rthomas

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Wow. It's like Duke curse. Didn't Purdue and Xavier do the same thing? Highly ranked teams play Duke and lose. Then they lose again. It's like a loss to Duke equals an automatic two-game losing streak. Looking foward to playing UNC
    Anyone recall the "Saluki Hangover" the annoying Southern Illinois fan kept insisting Duke would have?

Every since that game, teams that Duke beat seem to have the 'SaDukie" hangover and lay an egg in their next game. Taking that beatdown from Duke appears to have a lingering affect!

I would just like to say that this above analysis does not go nearly far enough to credit the incredible power of the Big East. Just by being a member of that august body not only should merit an annual spot in the NCAA tournament, but a five seed or higher. To be honest, a four seed really, but that would of course mean the Big East would hold ALL of those 16 spots, and we also know that in their humility this small, tightly regional but all-powerful conference allows that such would be a tad greedy. And they would never blow their own horn. Tonight's final score remained in the 50s and 70s only because the unmatched offensive ability of the Big East (read: juggernaut) was somewhat countered by their unparallelled defensive prowess. As I watched some of the second half (and what a spectacular atmosphere the cozy MCI Center provides! Good parking facilities too) display of magic that was the Big East, I cowered in fear at what will happen to any other conference entry who dares take the floor in the NCAAs this upcoming March. What a spectacular epic struggle we shall see in the championship game between those two academic titans, Louisville and UConn. I can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    As such, I'm not too pleased with the loss.

Just my opinion.
    In my years of supporting Duke, initially I concerned myself only with whether we won or lost. However, over time, I also found myself beginning to so dislike certain programs that I hoped they would lose whenever they take the court. Over time a team might get included or deleted from the list, but for me the list always includes UNC-CH, UConn, Maryland, Arizona and Kentucky. In recent years GTown has been moving into that category. Good on ya Mountaineers!

Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    In my years of supporting Duke, initially I concerned myself only with whether we won or lost. However, over time, I also found myself beginning to so dislike certain programs that I hoped they would lose whenever they take the court. Over time a team might get included or deleted from the list, but for me the list always includes UNC-CH, UConn, Maryland, Arizona and Kentucky. In recent years GTown has been moving into that category. Good on ya Mountaineers!
    Why Georgetown and Arizona? Is 'Zona because of Lute?

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    Why Georgetown and Arizona? Is 'Zona because of Lute?
    I suppose for me the biggest factor in disliking a team is my personal experience with the arrogance and stupidity of their fan base. As for Arizona, for me it started in the late 1980s when they beat us in the Meadowlands and culminated with the NCAA championship game when Arizona fans blamed their loss to us on a conspiracy by the referees. It takes many years of a team humbled by mediocrity before I lose my antipathy toward them! Maybe Arizona will get there in a few years.

As for GTown, as they move back into national prominence it seems to bring out the worst in their fanbase, which is egged on by the DC-area media. To see them blame the loss to Duke the other day on the T on Monroe was not a surprise. JTIII IMO is a better coach than his father and it is appearing that he may be just a good a recruiter, which augers well for their success as well for increasingly insufferable fans.

As for GTown, as they move back into national prominence it seems to bring out the worst in their fanbase, which is egged on by the DC-area media. To see them blame the loss to Duke the other day on the T on Monroe was not a surprise. JTIII IMO is a better coach than his father and it is appearing that he may be just a good a recruiter, which augers well for their success as well for increasingly insufferable fans.
    My guess is they think our fan base is insufferable, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    My guess is they think our fan base is insufferable, too.
    I doubt the Duke fan base figures much on their radar screen. The anti-Duke fan base is much larger in the DC area than the Duke fan base. What they probably find insufferable is hearing Dick Vitale extolling the virtues of Duke rather than the Duke fan base itself.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Anyone recall the "Saluki Hangover" the annoying Southern Illinois fan kept insisting Duke would have?

Every since that game, teams that Duke beat seem to have the 'SaDukie" hangover and lay an egg in their next game. Taking that beatdown from Duke appears to have a lingering affect!
    I believe that the Saluki Hangover was guaranteed by that fan. Thanks for bring that up though. It really made me smile, remembering that guy.

i wanted to post on the hoyas' board ....wondering when they were going to start complaining about the refs...it was about two posts in...

basically, according to hoya fans, NO team is good enough to beat them....they ALL have to have help from the stripes..

g'town=Tar Heels

altho....i did LOVE g'town two years ago when they put the FIRST beatdown on ROy....softening him up for his JAYHAWK beatdown..

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I agree with you.
    I think we all do.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Big East is the greatest conference in the history of basketball. Results like this are to be expected as these superpowers play each other.

This proves that the BEast is incredibly deep and full of teams that can perform among the elite in the land. On the other hand, Va Tech beating Wake just proves that top of the ACC was not as good as everyone thought.

--Jason "do I qualify to be an ESPN announcer now?" Evans
    No, A) the second part actually made sense and B) was way too complex for them. (obviously excluding jay will and jay bil)

Also, WRT to this hurting out RPI or SOS or what have you come tourney time, Va Tech is a decent team and this will pump up their ratings and therefore ours a little, tho signature OOC wins do come in handy. They are definitely in the hunt for the tourney and at 3-1 in the ACC are looking good...long ways to go tho...

I suppose for me the biggest factor in disliking a team is my personal experience with the arrogance and stupidity of their fan base.
    On that basis it'd be real hard to pull for WVU over Georgetown

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

altho....i did LOVE g'town two years ago when they put the FIRST beatdown on ROy....softening him up for his JAYHAWK beatdown..

Since we live in NC, my wife and I bought G-town t-shirts immediately after they beat UNC so we could wear them around and proudly mock the 'Hole fans. Last year we bought Jayhawk tees. It's now an official family tradition. I'll only have a problem if UConn is the team to beat the 'Holes...that would be a tough t-shirt to wear, even for the noble reason of taunting 'Hole fans...