Thread: Kay Yow

Kay Yow

I just sent an email to Coach Yow expressing my well wishes, since she's been in the hospital lately. I felt a little bit dorky for doing it, but really wanted to let her know that lots of people, not just within the NCSU community, are thinking about and pulling for her. Her email is kay_yow@ncsu.edu if anybody else is inclined to send a message of support as well. (Mods, I hope it's OK for me to put her email here; it's published on the NCSU website, so I figure it's public.)

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    I just sent an email to Coach Yow expressing my well wishes, since she's been in the hospital lately. I felt a little bit dorky for doing it, but really wanted to let her know that lots of people, not just within the NCSU community, are thinking about and pulling for her. Her email is kay_yow@ncsu.edu if anybody else is inclined to send a message of support as well. (Mods, I hope it's OK for me to put her email here; it's published on the NCSU website, so I figure it's public.)
    You are not dorky, you sir (or ma'am) are a great person. Last year, after one of her previous down spells, I wrote Coach Yow a letter, expressing my admiration for her courage and appreciation for her inspiration. She wrote me back, thanking me for my note and telling me just how much the letters, cards, and emails mean to her. It was obvious that it was genuine and that she really does appreciate the public support.

She's been a terrific coach, a great representative of NCSU and college basketball, and a great role model for cancer patients.

It's hard to realize sometimes that her initial bouts with cancer came well before Jimmy V was diagnosed; he's been gone over 15 years now, though his impact has lived on through the V Foundation and the work of Coach K and many others.

Coach Yow is well thought of in the Alamance County community. When I was at Elon College in the early-mid seventies, Kay was the women's basketball coach with her younger sister Susan as the star player. Kay left Elon in 1975 to go to State and brought Susan with her where she starred her one and only year in the ACC. Elon women's basketball has never been the same since coach Yow and Susan left.
    Tom Mac

Coach Yow is a wonderful person, as is Stephanie Glance, the associate head coach (I think I got that title right) who is now running the team.

Please consider donating to the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund, a project of Coach Yow, the Women's Basketball Coaches Association, and The V Foundation. It's very near and dear to Coach Yow's heart:

https://www.jimmyv.org/support-us/do...contrib=kayyow

(Sorry if this seems like a plug ... it is a plug, but a for a very worthy cause and to show support for a very admirable person.)
    No soup for you!