Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 73, NC State 56 Post-Game Thread

Discuss ...

Pitiful help defense, and the offense wasn't much better. Henderson was the only reason we won this game. Duke made NCSU look good tonight.

That is as misleading a final score as I have seen in a while. For a long stretch it seemed NCSU got every loose ball and every 50/50 rebound. Duke needed a second half 1985 Villanova championship game-type shooting percentage to pull it out. Once again Duke's D carried them until the offense caught up. Duke's defense didn't seem quite as strong as it had lately for most of the game, then all of a sudden they start turning NCSU over and actually getting points out of it, and NCSU finishes the game in the 50's.

Ugly first half, then we couldn't miss in the second half. Strange game. Great defense by McClure, great offense by Henderson. Not sure what happened to the team in the first half and early in the second half, but it seems like we couldn't catch a break. It didn't help that we didn't do much creating either. Henderson corrected that in the second half for us.

I meant to post this on the in game thread, but does anyone know why Elliot got no burn tonight?

Anyway, this was a good win tonight, even if the offense hasn't come around yet. If Jon can get going, though, that will be a huge help. The defense was great, as usual, notwithstanding perhaps a few too many easy baskets. Still, holding a team to 56 points will always give us a chance to win, even when our offense isn't going well. If we can get our offense to the level of our defense, we will be unbeatable.

Two different halves

A good 20 mins of offense but then the our defense began to fold. We were letting Costner drive at will. We should have double teamed him and made him give it up. I thought that Costner and McCauley were going to beat us. Thank heaven Smith and Henderson made some big shots. Dave played well once again in Zoubs spot. Jon hit a big 3 at the end. Should be a fun week in practice. Go Duke!

Disheartening to see Zoubs miss that easy putback at the beginning of the game and he never recovered. Our offense has not been the same since Nolan hurt his knee and our post players, who were playing pretty well, can't seem to buy a bucket. The Wake game is going to be a really interesting game as it will be a true test to see how well we can hang with an explosive offense. We cannot be sloppy against them of we will be shown the door at LJVM really quick.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I meant to post this on the in game thread, but does anyone know why Elliot got no burn tonight?
    My guess is that he looked completely lost on defense against Georgetown. And I am assuming practice didn't go any better for him.

If your keeping score at home that's 3 straight games vs NC St we trailed at half. G was a star. We just looked disinterested in the first half. I don't think we woke up till inside 14 minutes to play. Really fortunate to leave with a W though when you come out that flat.

A win is a win folks. Take them how you can get them.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil
    I think you are right. I think this will be a lot like the game at CIS last year. State will go up early, and hold a lead for a good while. But in the end, I think Duke's depth will prevail.

4 of the Wolfpack's 5 losses were decided in the final 2 minutes. And in the loss to Clemson, they were tied with about 10 minutes to play, and Clemson pulled away late in the game.

So State could EASILY be 15-1 right now. But they do not finish well. They did have a great finish against GT on Saturday, but that was it.

They do not hold leads well at all. Whether its the East Carolina game, or the Florida State game.

So I think State will hold a halftime lead, and keep that lead for the first 5 or 7 minutes of the second half, but Duke is much deeper and does not lose in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

I like to Duke to win, but they better watch out, because State is not going to role over in this game.

Wow. Good call.

I apologize if this has been mentioned in the in-game thread already, but I haven't read it. Steve Martin was just awful calling the game tonight. He used incorrect names and attributed incorrect players many times, as well as misremembering previous sequences. I would have much preferred hearing the comedian Steve Martin call the game.

Again, I was worried at how Duke relied on the 3 to turn the tide of the game. Without some of those timely 3s Duke doesnt win this one IMO. If Duke has a march-esq shooting game in march... well, anyway, GO DUKE!

Couldn't get the game

With the game on Raycom, I couldn't get a TV feed. I would really appreciate a dispassionate anaysis of what happened out there. Scoring so poorly in the first half and then winning by 17 seems odd. Who played well and who didn't? I can see Henderson had a good scoring game. I can also see we held them to 56 points, so the defense must have been fairly good.

I miss Scheyer...

Misleading stats

If I didn't follow along in the snrubchat I would have thought Nolan played a great game and we beat the crap out of State.

Nolan was pretty ineffective except for that little stretch of solid D and those huge 3's. Very weird game. It seemed like we were tied, and then all of a sudden we're up 17.

Regardless, I'll take it! Next play!

Quote Originally Posted by moreilly View Post
    My guess is that he looked completely lost on defense against Georgetown. And I am assuming practice didn't go any better for him.
    Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an injury of some kind or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JDev View Post
    I apologize if this has been mentioned in the in-game thread already, but I haven't read it. Steve Martin was just awful calling the game tonight. He used incorrect names and attributed incorrect players many times, as well as misremembering previous sequences. I would have much preferred hearing the comedian Steve Martin call the game.
    Greg Zoubek plays for us?

Tonight

Great Defense paid off at the end of the game but it was pretty fustrating at certain times. 33 mins of the game that is

Gerald Henderson looked pretty NBAish

If I had to watch that stupid Clyde Drexler commercial one more time, I was going to go insane. Their should be a man law on how many times they can play a commercial in one game.

19-3 run by Duke in the last 8 minutes of the game. Won by 17.

Henderson was brilliant, on both ends of the court.

McClure was great as well.

Quiet 17 for Singler.

Duke shot 77% in the second half.