• Diogi (D-O-G)

0 0%
  • Roka

1 14.29%
  • Falkirk

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fellow Dukies and Dog lovers, I need your help...

Okay, so after about 8 months of owning my first house, I'm thinking I'm ready to expand my family and ruin my social life . I'm planning to get a dog, if I can find one I like, it's not a decision I will come easily to. I have an appointment this week to meet with an Akita Breeder to meet the lineage line and meet the pregnant momma. So, with that in mind, I have need for your help. If I buy an Akita, what should I name him (assuming I would get a male)?

Thanks so much! And please feel free to suggest any other names you can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by CarterTheGreat View Post
    Okay, so after about 8 months of owning my first house, I'm thinking I'm ready to expand my family and ruin my social life . I'm planning to get a dog, if I can find one I like, it's not a decision I will come easily to. I have an appointment this week to meet with an Akita Breeder to meet the lineage line and meet the pregnant momma. So, with that in mind, I have need for your help. If I buy an Akita, what should I name him (assuming I would get a male)?

Thanks so much!
    Wojo.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

My only problem...

is that if I name a dog after my favorite dukie, Shane Battier, I can't figure out a catchy name that would fit. Also, I think Jon is quickly taking over in that regard and I can't really come up with something to go along with that either. That being said, Wojo does sound pretty cool.

is that if I name a dog after my favorite dukie, Shane Battier, I can't figure out a catchy name that would fit. Also, I think Jon is quickly taking over in that regard and I can't really come up with something to go along with that either. That being said, Wojo does sound pretty cool.
    Who'syourdaddy? But I'd go with Wojo.

9F 9F 9F

Red face I am married to ILJ

Jimmy (as in Spanarkel)

Nate

But I think a strong case could be made for: G.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. Don't forget to check out the "Dog gone it" thread.

You don't need a catchy phrase when you can chant to the dog: "Who's your doggy? Battier!"

Beware that if you name your dogDuke, he'll have an inherent desire to share your secret baked bean recipe with the rest of the world. Just sayin'

What? No choice for Wojo? I'm bummed

9F 9F 9F

I like Wojo - almost named Jester that but, since I do agility, and Wojo would get shortened to 'Wo' or 'Jo' it sounded too much like 'Go' and 'No'.

An Akita? Magnificent breed - please tell me you have some dog experience. They are not generally consdiered an easy dog to own. The good folks at Akita Resuce say this. Think long an hard about Akitas... Particularly if in the next 10 - 12 years children may be in your future.

Wojo

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Who'syourdaddy? But I'd go with Wojo.
    My golden retriever who passed away November 2007 at the young age of 10 (almost 11, he was a new year's eve baby) was named Wojo.

Wojo was a fantastic dog on every level. I would encourage you to think carefully about the name, as dogs tend to take on the characteristics of their name (to his credit, Wojo was one of the most spastic goldens I've ever owned ;-).

Count me in the camp of Wojo is a great name for a dog, but you've been warned :-)

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    You don't need a catchy phrase when you can chant to the dog: "Who's your doggy? Battier!"
    Me thinks we have a winner here.

Dog name: Shane

Registered name: Who's Your Daddy (or Doggy)? Battier.

The most recent dog thread ended naming the little cutie something like this:

Dog name: Georgia (for Georgia Schweitzer)

Registered name: ILJSunnyJDevilWentDowntoGeorgiaAbbyLindseyAlanaKPC ameronDean(a)...

(or something like that)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Registered name: ILJSunnyJDevilWentDowntoGeorgiaAbbyLindseyAlanaKPC ameronDean(a)...
    Now how in the world is the dog going to remember all that?

9F 9F 9F

Doesn't have to-they just call her Georgia

The long name is for AKC registration purposes. There are lots of pooches out there named Duke, Cameron, Mike, or even Ozzie. In order to have a unique name for your pure bred/AKC dog, you've got to invent something distinctive under which you "register" your canine buddy. We called our dog Sandy, but registered her as Lady Cassandra and the AKC added on XXIII, so she became the 23rd Lady Cassandra on the AKC registry.

They could always call him/her Pastrami.

The long name is for AKC registration purposes. There are lots of pooches out there named Duke, Cameron, Mike, or even Ozzie. In order to have a unique name for your pure bred/AKC dog, you've got to invent something distinctive under which you "register" your canine buddy. We called our dog Sandy, but registered her as Lady Cassandra and the AKC added on XXIII, so she became the 23rd Lady Cassandra on the AKC registry.
    I know that, silly. Our late cocker, called Lady Bug, was Beth's Lady of the Evening.

9F 9F 9F

Depending on the breeders requirements you may have to have the Kennel name in there some place - and often there are 'theme' or letter litters. My Terv was the 'J' litter, so there had to be a J in them name he is
    Bilgays Just a Kind of Magic (Wizard)
    my poodle only had to have the kennel name:
    Asmirs Don't Go Gently (Dylan)

and the lab was the Top Gun litter
    Brilons Turn and Burn (Jester)

When you see a dogs full AKC name with titles championships go before the name, performance titles (except for the champion titles go after)

Ch. MACH Asmirs Don't Go Gently MX MXJ CDX RX JH is Dylan's full official alphabet soup (Breed champion, Master Agility Champion...Master Agility, Master Agilty Jumper, Companion Dog Excellent, Rally Excellent, Junior Hunter)
    Just to keep him humble we call him <badword>hole. (also Dyl, Dillie, Dil-Dil and Pickle)

My lab puppy's AKC name is Kayla, Duchess of Water.

Her mom's name is Duchess, and Duchess has another special meaning to us DBRers.

Talk about your inner conflicts...

Thanks so far for all the suggestions. Wojo is a great name. I love the "who's your doggy, BATTIER" suggestion as well. I am going to meet with the breeder on Friday, hopefully, to check out the momma, so we'll see. Thanks everyone and keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    I like Wojo - almost named Jester that but, since I do agility, and Wojo would get shortened to 'Wo' or 'Jo' it sounded too much like 'Go' and 'No'.

An Akita? Magnificent breed - please tell me you have some dog experience. They are not generally consdiered an easy dog to own. The good folks at Akita Resuce say this. Think long an hard about Akitas... Particularly if in the next 10 - 12 years children may be in your future.
    Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this thought.

I had a friend with an Akita - she regularly had to have dominance matches with the dog, just to get him to respect her as leader of his pack. She also had to do a lot of obedience training to get him to accept strangers into the house, and she had to be VERY careful with feeding time -- he always ate after she ate. Maverick, the dog, was a gorgeous animal, but man, he was a handful to own...

ShaBat