Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB Duke vs. NCSU

It's an early game (5pm), which is good. It's also on TV (FoxSports) which is better. State might not have the record but they do have the talent, they just took Carolina to OT in the Dean Dome. It will be another challenge for the ladies, especially since it is at State. I'm assuming Abby will be back on the court tonight, we will need her presence at both ends of the court. GO DUKE!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wow, thanks for reminding me about this game, I always have problems with the away games... :-\

Anyway, this will definitely be a good game and a nice test of our team. Any team that can take Carolina to overtime away without their head coach is a team that you have to watch out for. While I haven't watched them much, what I've seen seems to suggest that the two teams have similar philosophies (but for different reasons): defense wins games. They're a well-coached team, and you know they want to win even more for Coach Yow.

Ball handling

Man, I hope the Duke Ladies take better care of the ball in this game. They looked really bad last game. Go Duke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Karima Christmas is the only reason we go into the half not down double digits. Abby had a couple of decent shots, but the rest from her have been really bad decisions. The team still can't score from 3 feet away, very frustrating. State has been lighting it up from outside. Duke is in a 9 point hole, they will lose by more if they don't get it together on offense.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Women came out alive to start the second half, looking much better. Whew. Still a tie game, but has been classic defense, better offense.

Down 3 with nine and a half minutes to play.

Tied, two mintues. We have got to protect the ball

2pt lead, one minute

30 secs and tied again.

OT, we are very lucky State's last shot did not fall

On a somewhat related note, I think it's interesting that the coaches have Duke #10 and the AP has Duke #4. In men's hoops, I think that the AP does a better job staying connected with how teams are playing (rather than just looking at records and scores). I wonder if the same is true for the women's game.

As for overtime (nobody has scored in the first two minutes, per ESPN), GO DUKE!

Crazy Towel Guy is cheering on the ladies as they run up a 5 point lead in OT. Thanks for the support Herb!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Crazy Towel Guy is cheering on the ladies as they run up a 5 point lead in OT. Thanks for the support Herb!
    Keep it up Herb..Go Duke!

And Duke has broken the ominous 30% FG barrier!

Duke by 3 with 13.2 left

Duke wins another ugly one.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Duke wins another ugly one.
    Glad for a win, but "survive and advance" mode isn't until March. This time of year is still "improve your game while beating up less talented conference opponents" mode and it seems we're not improving a whole lot.

Congrats on the win, though, ladies. (I apologize if that seems like a back-handed compliment. )

Value the Ball

Usually defensive oriented teams with a strong low post offense places high value on taking care of the ball. This team continues to get themselves in trouble with careless turnovers. This team is averaging 20 TO's for the year and 22+ in ACC play. This will need to improve for long term success.

Curious

I have to admit that I have never seen anything like this. The team is 16-1, but much of that is the result of living on the edge, and then some. They even win when they shoot 32% as they did today, and with their two guards shooting 4/20.

You certainly have to admire their heart and their intensity, but I also wonder how long they can keep pulling this off. Of course, I was wondering the same thing a month ago...

I think Duke may never win a road game by >10 points in the acc this season