Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by capecodfan View Post
    I haven't seen this discussed here, and I don't mean to probe into her personal life, but do I recall that she has/had a spouse who is/was affiliated with Duke? Could this have been a factor?
    She and her husband have split--I don't know whether the divorce is final, but they separated some time last year. I recall that he worked with her at Duke in some capacity in between his coaching gigs at Elon and Auburn, but that was a while back.

Lashon Harah

Quote Originally Posted by IceyTundra View Post
    (post deleted)
    It being Passover, let me bring up an ethical topic which is core to Judaism (though often underemphasized, and one to which we all, myself absolutely included, fall prey at one time and another). Lashon Harah is generally translated as gossip or bad mouthing. A quick anecdote quoted from the webpage http://www.rjca.org/lashon.html:

Once there was a man who had said awful things about someone. Realizing that he has done something awful, he goes to his rabbi and asks, "Rabbi, what can I do?" The rabbi thinks a bit and tells the man to bring him a feather pillow. The man brings the pillow, and the rabbi tells him to go outside, rip the pillow open, and shake out the feathers. The man does that. As he shakes out the feathers, the wind catches them, and they start flying everywhere. The man comes back to the rabbi and says, "I did as you said. Now what." The rabbi says, "Now go back outside and pick up all the feathers." The man looks startled and says, "How can I? The wind took them! I don't even know where they are now." The rabbi says, "Exactly. Just like your words. Once they're out, it's impossible to get them back."

This could pertain to IceyTundra's original statement, or for others who, based seemingly only on conjecture, impugn Alleva or the "administration" as behind this rumor.

Quoting from that webpage again,

"The rabbis teach that lashon harah is like killing three people because it destroys the reputation of the victim, damages the perceptions of the listener, and diminishes the standing of the speaker.

But I think the main reason has to do with what the Maharal, Rabbi Judah Loew of Prague, said: the common thread of all lashon harah is its capacity to create division and separation."

Anyhoo, I'm writing this to castigate no-one in particular, but I'd recently been considering Lashon Harah and this seemed as good a time as any to bring it up. Negative gossip about others (even when true) is generally to be avoided under this commandment, nevertheless such conjecture is unquestionably a lifeblood of the bulletin board/blogosphere we're engaged in here. Not trying to put a damper on such fun. Just wanting to offer some possible moral/ethical thoughts on the subject for people's perusal.

Btw, have y'all heard how cruelly Hans b rough and ol' Roy treat their pet bunny rabbits. What monsters! ;0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-07-2007 at 07:21 PM.

One can be "nice" to one group and horrible to another...

Hi,

Debbie Leonard, the coach before Coach G, was as nice to me as can be. I really thought she was nice person. I spoke with her players and it was often a different story. One said she had gone as far as to lie to her during recruiting, for example. Others had less than complimentary things to say. I liked Coach G a lot. However, I don't have relationship with her. It is from the outside looking in and that may not be the whole story.

Sadly, maybe the AD wanted her gone because he felt threatened by her? Maybe she was so competent it made him look bad. It wouldn't be the first time a superior wanted an employee gone. Ugh.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Reportedly she wanted to be paid like Geno (5 NCs) and Summit (7 NCs). That is delusional. Completely delusional. 2/3 as much as Geno (maybe), but not comensurate. This type of demand strikes me as primadonnaish.
    You've said this before, and I asked you about it with no response. Where did you hear this? Was it in a published report that you can link to? I followed the story pretty closely, and never saw any indication that she was demanding that kind of money, only that Texas voluntarily offered her a much higher salary than she was making before.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Us finishing 3rd for PP (speculation, but what else can go wrong)
    No different than finishing 2nd or 33rd. In recruiting, there is first place and then there is nothing else. you either win for a kid or forgetaboutit.

On TV

I heard this on TV, espn, during the NCAA coverage. Don't rember who, but it was the panel discussion, and many of those are former players and coaches who are well connected.

Sorry I missed your earlier message, major home improvement project sapped time after work.

Patrik Yates

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Does anyone HAVE any good news to share... any at all?
    Well, I saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No different than finishing 2nd or 33rd. In recruiting, there is first place and then there is nothing else. you either win for a kid or forgetaboutit.
    Yeah, yer right. but in this case the Munster-boy and UK dynamic put us squarely at option C. (based on my uninformed, sporadic readings of the recruitment process in this forum).

I hope Eddie goes to the Heat and the UK job is vacant past PP's cutoff for reaching a decision. When in doubt... choose C.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    I heard this on TV, espn, during the NCAA coverage. Don't rember who, but it was the panel discussion, and many of those are former players and coaches who are well connected.

Sorry I missed your earlier message, major home improvement project sapped time after work.

Patrik Yates
    This is nothing against you, but I tend to doubt things that are related second- or third-hand without any further substantiation. It may be true, it's just that I haven't seen any other report supporting it. But regardless of that, considering that Texas offered her $800K, and Duke matched it, clearly, she's not "delusional" for thinking she might get that kind of money. Your opinion may still be that she's not worth that much, but it's obviously not one shared by the people who were in a position to make that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    You've said this before, and I asked you about it with no response. Where did you hear this? Was it in a published report that you can link to? I followed the story pretty closely, and never saw any indication that she was demanding that kind of money, only that Texas voluntarily offered her a much higher salary than she was making before.
    The evidence for this so-called "primadonna" assertion that Gail "demanded" to be paid like Geno and Pat is as thin as any of the talking heads who may have blurted it out. And a coach with these achievements:

7 straight years of at least 30 wins
    4 Final Fours, with two appearances in the national title game
    7 Elite Eights
    10 straight Sweet 16 appearances
    5 ACC Tournament titles
    3 undefeated ACC regular seasons
    7 ACC Coach of the Year awards
    8 National Coach of the Year awards
    Best won/loss percentage of any men's or women's head coach in ACC history (over 80 percent)

has the right to ask to be compensated as one of the top coaches in the game. This "no national championship" BS, and the after-the-fact spin control assassinating her character, are simply signs of desperation from an athletic department that is reeling currently.

I put about as much stock in the credibility of these "rumors" that I do in the recent wild speculation about the men's team weight training regimen being inadequate...i.e. none at all.

ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    This "no national championship" BS, and the after-the-fact spin control assassinating her character, are simply signs of desperation from an athletic department that is reeling currently.
    why do you all think the Athletic Department is behind all of this? I personally dont think they are nor do I think they care. It is the media and message board posters who are saying these things - all mere speculation on why she would have left and why Duke let her leave without putting up a fight. I would give the AD the benefit of the doubt as they know more than all of us and trust their decision.
    And I wouldnt really say the athletic department is reeling.

Any idea when a new coach will be named?

Hi,

Has the athletic department given any idea as to when a new coach will be named? A time-line as it where? You see, this affects a lot of programs. It could affect Cal, for example, who will need to get a new coach. Furthermore, I wonder if Texas has actually worked to drive up coaches salaries such as at Ariizona State.

GO DUKE!

Someone well connected in the sports department said Duke wanted her to go and low-balled their counter-offer so she would go.
    Ignoring that this thread-starter is merely rumor-mongering...

...who is "Duke?" Duke wanted her to go. Who is "Duke?" Joe Alleva? Dick Brodhead? Mark Duke Biddle Trent Semans? Seven freshmen at the West Campus bus stop?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Well, I saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico...
    Jumbo was able to do this because it's so easy a caveman could do it.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

im a rumor mongerer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Ignoring that this thread-starter is merely rumor-mongering...

...who is "Duke?" Duke wanted her to go. Who is "Duke?" Joe Alleva? Dick Brodhead? Mark Duke Biddle Trent Semans? Seven freshmen at the West Campus bus stop?
    What on this message board isnt "rumor mongering" or opinions? that is the whole purpose of this forum, isnt it? Everyone doesnt have to agree with the rumor. Its merely a way to start discussion and get to the truth.

It is the media and message board posters who are saying these things - all mere speculation on why she would have left and why Duke let her leave without putting up a fight.
    It is also a message board poster who is saying they didn't fight to keep her; maybe they really did want her to leave, but unless somebody is willing to go on record saying it, I'm putting as much stock in that statement as all the others. Realistically, I find even published reports by unnamed sources suspect, because I've seen too many stories where the news outlets were jumping all over each other to get the scoop, that were later found to have been utter BS because they didn't take the time to check their facts. On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Texas' football program alone brings in more than Duke's entire athletic department's budget (an easily verifiable fact), so I consider it a very real possibility that Duke simply couldn't fully match their offer. Yes, this is just speculation on my part, but at least it's based on something other than something somebody on some message board somewhere wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I liked exactly where we were. I don't think that Duke needs a fresh start at all. Alleva blew it...PERIOD
    Really? I liked Gail, and she did amazing things for this women's basketball program. She built it from scratch, pretty much. But I must admit I've never seen so many talented teams fail to win a National Championship, or in some cases even reach a final four. I think the original poster's point about a fresh start was spot-on. Gail and Duke both need to get the monkey off their backs, and maybe this is the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    It being Passover, let me bring up an ethical topic which is core to Judaism (though often underemphasized, and one to which we all, myself absolutely included, fall prey at one time and another). Lashon Harah is generally translated as gossip or bad mouthing. A quick anecdote quoted from the webpage http://www.rjca.org/lashon.html:

Once there was a man who had said awful things about someone. Realizing that he has done something awful, he goes to his rabbi and asks, "Rabbi, what can I do?" The rabbi thinks a bit and tells the man to bring him a feather pillow. The man brings the pillow, and the rabbi tells him to go outside, rip the pillow open, and shake out the feathers. The man does that. As he shakes out the feathers, the wind catches them, and they start flying everywhere. The man comes back to the rabbi and says, "I did as you said. Now what." The rabbi says, "Now go back outside and pick up all the feathers." The man looks startled and says, "How can I? The wind took them! I don't even know where they are now." The rabbi says, "Exactly. Just like your words. Once they're out, it's impossible to get them back."

This could pertain to IceyTundra's original statement, or for others who, based seemingly only on conjecture, impugn Alleva or the "administration" as behind this rumor.
    I love that story, though I haven't heard it in a long time. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    But Kobe would have gone to Duke.

Don't forget

It is true that Duke is an "academics first" school but I hope the administration never forgets what sports mean to alumni and fans meaning money in donations.This is our only true daily connection to the school. Let them not forget as well that many high school seniors want to be part of the K and G phenomenon. Applications would go up with a top notch football and basketball program(men and women). Aleva, or his successor,should hire only those with a proven track record and who fit the Duke image. Sorry to lose G and please hire someone who meets the above criteria. Give Roof his try but keep in mind what a winning program would mean.