Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rumor that Duke wanted G gone

deleted original post
    Last edited by IceyTundra; 04-04-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Lashon Harah

Quote Originally Posted by IceyTundra View Post
    (post deleted)
    It being Passover, let me bring up an ethical topic which is core to Judaism (though often underemphasized, and one to which we all, myself absolutely included, fall prey at one time and another). Lashon Harah is generally translated as gossip or bad mouthing. A quick anecdote quoted from the webpage http://www.rjca.org/lashon.html:

Once there was a man who had said awful things about someone. Realizing that he has done something awful, he goes to his rabbi and asks, "Rabbi, what can I do?" The rabbi thinks a bit and tells the man to bring him a feather pillow. The man brings the pillow, and the rabbi tells him to go outside, rip the pillow open, and shake out the feathers. The man does that. As he shakes out the feathers, the wind catches them, and they start flying everywhere. The man comes back to the rabbi and says, "I did as you said. Now what." The rabbi says, "Now go back outside and pick up all the feathers." The man looks startled and says, "How can I? The wind took them! I don't even know where they are now." The rabbi says, "Exactly. Just like your words. Once they're out, it's impossible to get them back."

This could pertain to IceyTundra's original statement, or for others who, based seemingly only on conjecture, impugn Alleva or the "administration" as behind this rumor.

Quoting from that webpage again,

"The rabbis teach that lashon harah is like killing three people because it destroys the reputation of the victim, damages the perceptions of the listener, and diminishes the standing of the speaker.

But I think the main reason has to do with what the Maharal, Rabbi Judah Loew of Prague, said: the common thread of all lashon harah is its capacity to create division and separation."

Anyhoo, I'm writing this to castigate no-one in particular, but I'd recently been considering Lashon Harah and this seemed as good a time as any to bring it up. Negative gossip about others (even when true) is generally to be avoided under this commandment, nevertheless such conjecture is unquestionably a lifeblood of the bulletin board/blogosphere we're engaged in here. Not trying to put a damper on such fun. Just wanting to offer some possible moral/ethical thoughts on the subject for people's perusal.

Btw, have y'all heard how cruelly Hans b rough and ol' Roy treat their pet bunny rabbits. What monsters! ;0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-07-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    It being Passover, let me bring up an ethical topic which is core to Judaism (though often underemphasized, and one to which we all, myself absolutely included, fall prey at one time and another). Lashon Harah is generally translated as gossip or bad mouthing. A quick anecdote quoted from the webpage http://www.rjca.org/lashon.html:

Once there was a man who had said awful things about someone. Realizing that he has done something awful, he goes to his rabbi and asks, "Rabbi, what can I do?" The rabbi thinks a bit and tells the man to bring him a feather pillow. The man brings the pillow, and the rabbi tells him to go outside, rip the pillow open, and shake out the feathers. The man does that. As he shakes out the feathers, the wind catches them, and they start flying everywhere. The man comes back to the rabbi and says, "I did as you said. Now what." The rabbi says, "Now go back outside and pick up all the feathers." The man looks startled and says, "How can I? The wind took them! I don't even know where they are now." The rabbi says, "Exactly. Just like your words. Once they're out, it's impossible to get them back."

This could pertain to IceyTundra's original statement, or for others who, based seemingly only on conjecture, impugn Alleva or the "administration" as behind this rumor.
    I love that story, though I haven't heard it in a long time. Thanks.

Someone well connected in the sports department said Duke wanted her to go and low-balled their counter-offer so she would go.
    Ignoring that this thread-starter is merely rumor-mongering...

...who is "Duke?" Duke wanted her to go. Who is "Duke?" Joe Alleva? Dick Brodhead? Mark Duke Biddle Trent Semans? Seven freshmen at the West Campus bus stop?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

im a rumor mongerer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Ignoring that this thread-starter is merely rumor-mongering...

...who is "Duke?" Duke wanted her to go. Who is "Duke?" Joe Alleva? Dick Brodhead? Mark Duke Biddle Trent Semans? Seven freshmen at the West Campus bus stop?
    What on this message board isnt "rumor mongering" or opinions? that is the whole purpose of this forum, isnt it? Everyone doesnt have to agree with the rumor. Its merely a way to start discussion and get to the truth.

What on this message board isnt "rumor mongering" or opinions? that is the whole purpose of this forum, isnt it? Everyone doesnt have to agree with the rumor. Its merely a way to start discussion and get to the truth.
    Rumor mongering and opinions are distinctly different things. An opinion is sourced to oneself - "I think that...". You may have evidence or information, but you take credit for the idea.

Rumors ascribe motivation and action to individual's private lives. Opinions can be based on speculative ideas - rumors are speculative ideas, and should not be given credibility without some substantiation.

And to your idea of people 'agreeing' with rumors - rumors are speculative truth assertions. They are not subject to agree/disagree. It is believe/disbelieve. There is a difference, and it is important: A rumor can be proven true or false, an opinion cannot be proven true or false. At the root of rumor is a fact (or not). At the root of opinion is an unknown or unknowable proposition. That is why it is opinion and not an assertion of truth.

This is a board for opinion. Not for rumors, so much.

Exiled

And we still don't have an answer from the original poster about who "Duke" is.

I suspect because there is no answer.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

G's Departure Is an Excellent Opportunity

To get a basketball coach at Duke with a name like Smith or Jones.

(My apologies if someone's already made the same observation.)

Icey,

Why take down your original post? You started a discussion; do you not like the direction it took?

I think that shoots any/all credibility you may have gotten for any further rumors from "within the sports department"... though IMO, you didn't have much with the first one either.

Don't forget

It is true that Duke is an "academics first" school but I hope the administration never forgets what sports mean to alumni and fans meaning money in donations.This is our only true daily connection to the school. Let them not forget as well that many high school seniors want to be part of the K and G phenomenon. Applications would go up with a top notch football and basketball program(men and women). Aleva, or his successor,should hire only those with a proven track record and who fit the Duke image. Sorry to lose G and please hire someone who meets the above criteria. Give Roof his try but keep in mind what a winning program would mean.

I have to admit...

that I got the same feeling as the initial poster had when I read this.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/736/story/560717.html

Especially with this part of the comment:
    "During the last week and throughout her entire time at Duke, we addressed everything that Gail requested in order to remain our coach for the duration of her career," Alleva said in a statement released Tuesday.
    But it may be the way I'm reading it

Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    that I got the same feeling as the initial poster had when I read this.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/736/story/560717.html

Especially with this part of the comment:

"During the last week and throughout her entire time at Duke, we addressed everything that Gail requested in order to remain our coach for the duration of her career," Alleva said in a statement released Tuesday.

But it may be the way I'm reading it

I read that same quote as a desperate attempt to cover their as**s from the alumni anger over yet another job poorly done.

"Addressed" does not mean "acquisced". Whatever the circumstances were, Coach G just did not want to stay. I'm still bumming.

Thumbs down

"primadonna" --I think not. The first time I met her, we had wandered into her practice--watched for awhile expecting to be asked to leave--on the contrary, she came over to us (two gray haired ex coaches), explained drills and sat and talked to us--one of the most friendly college coaches I have ever met, and I have talked to more than a few.

foul.

Theres little point in speaking ill of the dead... (so to speak)

Whats done is done. Gail moved on and so must we.
    Name calling and mudslinging make all parties look bad regardless of the "why" this came to pass

In my opinion we blew it. So what if womens B-ball loses money. I think only a handfull of programs around the country MAKE money. Its a loss leader. It chief benefit is to give us Duke fans a warm fuzzy.

After this year ANY warm fuzzy would be welcome right about now.
    Lacrosse
    1st round bow out
    McRoberts
    Fla winning
    Us finishing 3rd for PP (speculation, but what else can go wrong)
    now Gail leaving...

Does anyone HAVE any good news to share... any at all?
    I'd love to hear it..

unfounded rumors welcome too as long as they are positive

Good news....

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Does anyone HAVE any good news to share... any at all?
    I'd love to hear it..
    Football starts soon!

Good News???

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Football starts soon!
    If we are talking DUKE FOOTBALL I don't know if that is exactly good news.

hell yeah

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    If we are talking DUKE FOOTBALL I don't know if that is exactly good news.
    Of course it is. We can only improve. We've got some young athletic quarterbacks and receivers, a new O-coordinator. Come on be positive!

Ok, Ok

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Of course it is. We can only improve. We've got some young athletic quarterbacks and receivers, a new O-coordinator. Come on be positive!
    Sorry to be pessamist.......I will be positive (at least until we lose the first 2 or 3 games) then it is hard not to say "here we go again."

Coach G

I will corroborate the accounts of Coach G being personable, accomodating, and generally an excellent part of the Duke community. In the spring of '01, I was writing sports for the Chronicle, and I received an assignment for a lengthy feature on Rochelle Parent, a senior reserve at the time. Of course, part of that assignment entailed speaking to Coach G about Rochelle. She met me in the atrium of the Schwartz-Butters building, accompanied me up the elevator, and took me into her office, where she was nothing but helpful, personable, and encouraging to a somewhat wide-eyed freshman. I also covered a few women's games, and she always carried herself likewise on game day. I never saw anything to make me wish she wasn't part of our university, and I lament her departure today.
    Last edited by wilson; 04-04-2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo