View Poll Results: Who would you take with the first pick in the draft?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greg Oden

59 60.20%
  • Kevin Durant

38 38.78%
  • Brandan Wright (bwahahahahahaha!)

1 1.02%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oden or Durant

Oden or Durant

Who would you take with the first pick?

As an aside...

The word around the Ga Dome today is that Oden is done. He's going pro for sure. The way the refs have called him for so many fouls in the NCAA tourney has shown him that it is time to move on to the next level. Plus, he is said to be more than a little frustrated at the way Ohio State plays ball and his family thinks Matta has done a terrible job of having the team take advantage of Greg's strengths. There is some talk that Conley will leave too, as he agrees with Oden that Matta is one lousy coach.

Interstingly, the buzz is that Durant is thinking about staying at Texas as he wants another shot at the NCAA tourney and thinks he played poorly when the season was on the line. Interesting.

-Jason "as for who I would take... Oden... even though I think Durant will be Rookie of the Year whenever he decides to turn pro" Evans

I agree with Jason completely. Durant is a more immediate impact, but Oden is going to bring some franchise a lot of rings down the line...

Oden is too old. He's gotta be 35 or more.

Well, Matta must be doing something right.

I'd take Oden over Durant. Oden doesn't have Durant's polished skills, but he can change a game a lot with just his defense. And, he's played hurt the whole season, which may have limited him offensively.

Put it this way: after all the Oden hype for the past 3-4 years, I think a GM would be forgiven for taking Oden and having Durant end up better down the road. But, take Durant over Oden and have Oden (with a healthy paw) start dominating... The fans would never forgive you.

Both seem like quality kids...

Hate to nitpick, but it does depend upon the team/situation, a bit. In most cases, I think that teams can't afford to pass up the top Center prospect since Shaq, but Durant is SPECIAL too. Certain franchises/coaches prefer a style of play more suited to Durant, and neither of these guys, barring injury, is gonna be Sam Bowie (who, in all fairness, did succumb more to injury than lack of talent). Taking Bowie out of the picture back then, it's like the legitimate argument between taking Jordan vs. Olajuwon. Since they both are likely of the caliber to build a team around, what kind of team do you want to build and what parts do you already have in place?

BTW, I voted for Durant because his maturity (both physically and mentally) has blown me away for his age. He was actually just about the youngest player in D-1 this year, having still been 17 when classes started. Unbelievable!

Oden.

You can't teach height.

Just ask LaRue Martin.

Still, I'd take Oden but I'd sure hold my breath while doing so.

Durant

I have to go with Durant on his versatility alone. The kid can play 2 and 3, 1 and 4 in spots. He can shoot, post up, midrange, run the floor, lead a break, pass, etc. I just think he'll have a more comprehensive, positive impact on my team than Oden. I think Durant is also more marketable (flashy) and will put butts in seats... and after all, it's all about the money. Oden has impressed me more and more as his wrist has healed. Watching that little hook shot develop has been impressive. But I'm not sold on him being the guy to lead a team to the promiseland. Durant is 18. I know potential is overused, but how good will he be in 4 years?

If the team with the top pick already has a young talented player at one of these positions in place, then they should make their selection based on need.

However, if all other factors are equal, I'd go with Oden. The main reason is that a scoring wing player is a more common commodity and therefore relatively less valuable than a center of similar quality. And defensively, there is no position more important than center - Olajuwon's Rockets, Ewing's Knicks, Robinson's Spurs, Dikembe's (whichever team) were all among the league's best defensive teams. Oden can be that foundation for an NBA team, and that's a backbone I would love to have.

whichever one is available, otherwise I'd flip a coin

Take a look at the teams that won the NBA Championship and the MVP in the post-Jordan era.

2005-06 Miami Heat Dwyane Wade
    2004-05 San Antonio Spurs Tim Duncan
    2003-04 Detroit Pistons Chauncey Billups
    2002-03 San Antonio Spurs Tim Duncan
    2001-02 Los Angeles Lakers Shaquille O'Neal
    2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers Shaquille O'Neal
    1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers Shaquille O'Neal
    1998-99 San Antonio Spurs Tim Duncan

Obviously every team (minus maybe the Detroit Pistons) has had a dominating center (Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal) that was a major part of the team. I think that Oden has a great chance of being the next dominating center (look what he is doing in college - Ohio State is already in the championship game). If you want championships... you have to take Oden. Durant is really good, but similar guys can drop 30 every night and barely make the playoffs.

You shouldn't underestimate the importance of a good center... they might not score the most points but they always have a major impact on the game and alter the play of the opposing team.

I think that the easiest way to answer this question is with another question. Who would you rather have Tim Duncan or Kevin Garrnet?

the pistons didn't have one hall of famer center but they did have two big all-star wallaces, even if one is a no-talent loser for obvious reasons.

It sounds like a lame, cop-out answer, but it really just does depend on the team. Do you need a center or do you need a forward?

I'd trade either Durant or Oden for three picks in the 2nd round so that I could grab Hansblah, Lawson, and Wright.

"Do you need a center or do you need a forward?"

If you're bad enough to get the #1 pick, then you probably need both.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Or you barely missed the playoffs and your one ping pong ball came up. It's happened.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

the celtics, for one, are not in any great need of a forward.

I would want to pick 2nd

I think as a GM you are actualy better picking 2nd, just take the guy who is left

I just hope the Celtics get 1 of the 2 (BTW, the last time I was this excited about the Celtics and a pick was back when I thought they coul dhave gotten Jay Williams, which would have been great, because it would mean he wouldn't have been in Chicago on his bike that day)

Oden is such a force, he looks very impressive tonight - would love to have seen JJ play with Oden (or Jay Willaims for that matter)

Even if you think you have a good center, most of the teams in the NBA have a guy playing center that would be better suited at the power forward position. Example: the Celtics have Al Jefferson playing the 5, but put Oden on that team and move Jefferson to the 4? That's just scary to think about, Jefferson has been good for 20 and 8 over the past 2 months. Like another poster said, there are more guys like Durant in the NBA than there are like Oden, and thus Oden is more valuable and will go #1.