Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Down Goes Pitt/Who is #1 Now

Pitt is about to lose to Louisville. Does that make Duke #1 come Monday? Or will Wake jump them?

Who is #1 Now??

Louisville just knocked off Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by JDev View Post
    Pitt is about to lose to Louisville. Does that make Duke #1 come Monday? Or will Wake jump them?
    You beat me to it.

We'll find out next weekend. Duke/Wake will be 1. vs 2. any way you slice it.

Wake Forest deserves the #1 ranking as the last unbeaten team. They are very good and this is a good opportunity for me to admit I was wrong. I've stated several times in a couple of different threads that Wake's inexperience would keep them behind Duke, UNC, and Clemson in the ACC standings. The Demon Deacons have proven me wrong with quality wins over UNC and Clemson.
    Bob Green

I fully expect Wake to jump to #1.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    You beat me to it.
    Haha, no worries. I think that there is no way the Wake jumps Duke. They both beat top 15 teams. I know that Wake's win was on the road, but that is not enough of a reason to jump. I don't even consider the fact that Clemson was undefeated, because they are seemingly always undefeated or close to it prior to conference play.

Doesn't matter that much to me.

I'd vote Wake #1 based on their W over the holes, their W on the road today and I'd like the target on their back to be just a little bit bigger than the one that is frequently on ours.

let's stay relatively unrecognized

Quote Originally Posted by JDev View Post
    I'd vote for WFU #1 since they're undefeated and beat Clemson on the road. I'd like to see Duke remain the most under-the-radar #2 or #3 team I can ever remember and I'd love to continue to hear how Duke is not for real due to their lack of post presence and lack of lateral quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    I'd vote for WFU #1 since they're undefeated and beat Clemson on the road. I'd like to see Duke remain the most under-the-radar #2 or #3 team I can ever remember and I'd love to continue to hear how Duke is not for real due to their lack of post presence and lack of lateral quickness.
    Agreed. I would like to see Duke continue to fly under the radar a little, or at least as "under the radar" as Duke can be.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Good point, at least until time for the NCAA seedings.

Let Wake have it

It is fine for Wake to have it. They are undefeated and have beaten two top 10 teams in a week- one on the road. That is pretty impressive. It is better for Duke to be 2 going into Wake so they can take number 1 away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    Good point, at least until time for the NCAA seedings.
    Righto...somehow I don't think that will be a problem if Duke continues to play well given their SOS. I just hope the committee doesn't get too concerned with too many high seeds from the Big E and ACC. According to their own logic they shouldn't, but you never know.

Duke goes to #1 now in the USA Today/ESPN poll. That win versus Georgetown today, and the way in which it was won, will help hold off surging Wake Forest (which is a great team), I believe.

dukestheheat!

Doesn't really matter to me. Wake is the only undefeated team left, and with a few quality wins. Either way an ACC team will hold down the #1 and #2 spots.

I believe both teams are deserving but I have to think Wake has a tiny bit better case for #1. If Wake takes care of business against VT this week then they have a week off before the matchup with Duke. If Duke doesn't look past NCST or Maryland then we will find out who really is #1.

If Wake becomes #1, what can it hurt? They've played well and deserve this sort of recognition. Let the nipping dogs go after Wake's heels. I don't mind being near the top with another team #1. What really counts is who's #1 at the end of the season.

Not that it matters now but Wake should be 1. They're undefeated coming off of wins over UNC and at 9th ranked Clemson. I think it is pretty much a done deal atleast in the AP poll that Wake is 1. Duke may get the nod in the USA/ESPN poll, but either way you don't hang any banners in January.

I hope Wake gets #1. We play better when we're not on top. Plus, they deserve it. They're a talented young bunch who has overcome adversity with the tragic loss of Coach Prosser with the phenomenal play of players such as Teague. Let 'em have it and let 'em celebrate in Winston-Salem. We'll get 'em when the time is right. I'd rather be #1 at the end of the season than at the halfway point.

Wake. Ken Pomeroy notwithstanding I thought that Wake already deserved a higher ranking than we have once it beat UNC and crushed BC. (Just because we were above Wake before those games doesn't mean we stay there until we lose--this isn't the BCS) As good as we are, and in spite of our great win today, with their win at Littlejohn, always a fearsome place to play, I think they deserve it.

And I think it's better for us. I don't want them to get any kind of chip on their shoulder about being slighted. I don't think they need any more motivation to play us.

I hope it's Wake honestly, but it really doesn't matter. Will the local newspapers even mention it? That's the bigger question. Wake and Duke become the top 2 teams in the country but does anyone really care within the state lines of North Carolina? I'm betting the lead articles on the sports pages will be how UNC manhandled Miami and is back on track for the national title.