Thread: Miles Brand

Miles Brand

It has just been reported that NCAA president, Miles Brand has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. That is, unfortunately, one type of cancer that very hard, if not impossible to treat. He is 66. Perhaps he may be one of the rare ones to beat it.

Wishes go out to him and his family. That sucks.

I lost a grandfather to pancreatic cancer. All my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It has just been reported that NCAA president, Miles Brand has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. That is, unfortunately, one type of cancer that very hard, if not impossible to treat. He is 66. Perhaps he may be one of the rare ones to beat it.
    That is very bad news. If I am not mistaken, I think pancreatic cancer has the second lowest five-year survival rate (I could be wrong). I certainly hope that he is one of the fortunate ones.

I'm sending my thoughts and prayers to Miles Brand and his family. Pancreatic cancer is a tough one - we lost a cousin to it.

Very sorry to hear this. Good Luck Dr. Myles Brand!! Pancreatic Cancer is almost impossible to beat. My grandfather died of it when my mom was only 17.

The lowest

Quote Originally Posted by JDev View Post
    That is very bad news. If I am not mistaken, I think pancreatic cancer has the second lowest five-year survival rate (I could be wrong). I certainly hope that he is one of the fortunate ones.
    Not that it matters - but it is the lowest at about 2.5 percent.

Sorry to hear about Mr. Brand, best wishes to him and his family.

Seems to me, pancreatic cancer's been in the news a lot lately - Patrick Swayze and Steve Jobs included (though Jobs' tumor was a rare, less aggressive form.) Maybe it's that "bad things comes in three" phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Seems to me, pancreatic cancer's been in the news a lot lately - Patrick Swayze and Steve Jobs included (though Jobs' tumor was a rare, less aggressive form.) Maybe it's that "bad things comes in three" phenomenon.
    Gene Upshaw - died within 3 days of diagnosis

Myles Brand has pancreatic cancer

Just saw it on the 4-letter; it is Myles, correct, not Miles? I know he's a friend of K's and wish Mr Brand well. Pancreatic cancer is usually life-threatening I believe.

Brand was Knight's nemesis. I hope Knight can step up here, take the high road, and give Brand his due. The outlook is not positive; Brand mentions it himself.

Brand evokes mixed feelings with me. Many of his reforms - in the vein of trying to keep athletics in perspective - feel right to me. But at the same time the NCAA, save for the NFL and Tiger Woods, is the biggest money machine in American sports. And their cost of labor is dirt cheap. The hypocrisy always bothers me.

But nevertheless, Brand has taken an honorable path in a difficult job. Let's hope he can beat this thing.

You don't wish something like pancreatic cancer on anyone. We all hope they caught it early and can delay, at least, the progression.
    I remember Brand for two things -- he found a way to trip up Knight and got rid of him. I don't dispute that Knight caused himself a lot problems, but I thought the way they got rid of him was contrived. And wasn't Brand the one who raised such a stink about teams using Native American nicknames? I assume he has some positive elements to this legacy and not just these two incidents.

WOW!

I just got home from the NCAA Convention in DC, where Dr. Brand was noticeably absent from the proceedings. They said he was receiving treatment for a medical condition, but didn't elaborate further.

I actually was at a small conference (~20 people) at NCAA headquarters in October, and really enjoyed talking with him. He was a very affable man.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Dr. Brand and his family.

--Marty