New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

End of 1st half clock -vs- end of 2cnd half clock

I was just watching the end of the UVA-UNC womens' 1st half, and something caught my attention. As far as I know the rules are the same between the sexes. At the end of the 1st half, a UNC player shot and sank it with 2 seconds left. By the time UVA got it picked up and tossed in, there was no time left to shoot. Why does the end of the first half clock tick away after a basket, but at the end of the game it doesn't? Refs will spend minutes trying to figure out how many seconds to put back at the end, but give a rat's azz at halftime.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Folks smarter than me can explain why that is; I don't know the explanation.

But I know that the college clock never stopped after a basket until sometime in the last 20 or 25 years, I think. There was a rule change, essentially because it seemed dumb to just let the thing run out at the end of the game. But they didn't want to adopt the NBA rule, in which the clock stops after every made basket. (The NBA still does that, right?)

different rules for different halves

I believe the rule is that the clock stops on a made field goal when there is less than a minute remaining in the second half, but that it does not during the rest of the game. On a related note, next time Duke is up in the second half with more than a minute left, watch how slow the inbounder is to retrieve the ball and inbound it. I've noticed that Singler is particularly effective at running off a few extra seconds in this manner.