Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's fabulous, CB&B!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Outstanding!

Have they signed you for a contract yet as the official artist for Duke sports?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Outstanding!

Have they signed you for a contract yet as the official artist for Duke sports?
    I was thinking exactly what DD said. It's just amazing!

I'm so impressed! What are you going to paint next in the football series? Will you be doing one that features Coach Cutcliffe? Can't to see what comes next!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I'm so impressed! What are you going to paint next in the football series? Will you be doing one that features Coach Cutcliffe? Can't to see what comes next!
    Thank you and I don't know, but it will be under way shortly. I did get two really good shots of the coach, which I might do at some point. This series is as much about the action as it is that it's about Duke, and Cut standing there isn't very active..
    However, I have been eyeing them as the excellent portraits they could turn out to be.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thank you and I don't know, but it will be under way shortly. I did get two really good shots of the coach, which I might do at some point. This series is as much about the action as it is that it's about Duke, and Cut standing there isn't very active..
    However, I have been eyeing them as the excellent portraits they could turn out to be.
    I understand your point about action and portraying it in a painting.... you've definitely conveyed that in this piece!

I mentioned the possibility of a painting of Coach Cutcliffe because I think that he's creating a special legacy at Duke, the sort that a good portrait could celebrate and commemorate. (This is my vision for some point into the future. )

I understand your point about action and portraying it in a painting.... you've definitely conveyed that in this piece!

I mentioned the possibility of a painting of Coach Cutcliffe because I think that he's creating a special legacy at Duke, the sort that a good portrait could celebrate and commemorate. (This is my vision for some point into the future. )
    It might be interesting to do one per year of Coach Cut and maintain the series - with the thought that it might commemorate an era. You never know. Imagine if someone had done that for K's career. It would be an interesting history of the man.

Woweeeee!

Just great CB&B! Leroy Neiman, eat your heart out!
    Love, Ima
    PS. I have no idea if that spelling is correct. But who cares? You've left him in the dust anyway.

Could you overlay two pictures, such that Coach Cutcliffe is standing on the sideline watching the action in front of him? Make him "full height" while the action is the middle 50% height, so you see his head and shoulders and lower legs above and below the action. Just a suggestion!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Could you overlay two pictures, such that Coach Cutcliffe is standing on the sideline watching the action in front of him? Make him "full height" while the action is the middle 50% height, so you see his head and shoulders and lower legs above and below the action. Just a suggestion!
    I know the type of painting you are talking about, and have thought of doing similar in the past, but have been reluctant. As images, they tend to come across to me as more promotional pieces than actual paintings. I would hope I'd be able to capture who Cutcliffe (or anyone for that matter) is and what he's about by what I've done with the portrait itself, without having to rely on extraneous imagery to convey the personality of the subject. Maybe one day I'll change my mind. (Unless it's a commission, then I'll paint whatever the hell they want. )
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I was thinking exactly what DD said. It's just amazing!
    Frightening thoughts, eh?

Great job! Your sense of light is excellent. You did capture the moment.

Wow...I didn't know that I started this thread a year ago this week..pretty cool timing. Thanks to all who helped make it a reality, this weekend I proofed the prints that I'm having made. The three individual paintings are the ones I had made into prints; one each will go to Kevin White, David Cutcliffe, and the sports info office. The remaining 99 (100 print run) are available to whoever wants one, PM for info. Each one comes signed and numbered with a certificate of authenticity. They can all be seen here http://www.wagnerwatercolor.com/gallery3.html.
    Thanks again to anyone who helped with advice and contact info. I have a couple of other Duke projects under way that I've started work on, my next biggie that I have planned begins on March 6th.

Wow! I really dig it! "Action watercolor" is something that I'm sure is VERY hard to do. You have definitely knocked it out of the park though!

Quick question - do you have the website images of your paintings professionally done, or do you take the images them yourself? I'm doing a site for my mom, but have no clue how to get quality images of her paintings to put online. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have access to some decent camera equipment but no lighting or any thing else. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Quick question - do you have the website images of your paintings professionally done, or do you take the images them yourself? I'm doing a site for my mom, but have no clue how to get quality images of her paintings to put online. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have access to some decent camera equipment but no lighting or any thing else. Thanks!
    I do the website and the images myself. The key of course is good lighting, and you don't have to spend a dime on it. I take pictures of all of my paintings outside in the daytime. Some say an overcast day is better, I prefer direct sun. I take a number of them at different settings and choose the best. If the colors are off I will use photoshop to adjust the contrast and/or tone until what's on the screen matches the painting.

I do the website and the images myself. The key of course is good lighting, and you don't have to spend a dime on it. I take pictures of all of my paintings outside in the daytime. Some say an overcast day is better, I prefer direct sun. I take a number of them at different settings and choose the best. If the colors are off I will use photoshop to adjust the contrast and/or tone until what's on the screen matches the painting.
    I know a guy that works for a company that manufactures display calibration software and knows a lot about color, color accuracy and matching. PM me if you ever need help.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I know a guy that works for a company that manufactures display calibration software and knows a lot about color, color accuracy and matching. PM me if you ever need help.
    You know a guy, eh? LOL!

I got a nice thank you note from Dr. White this week after I sent the prints out, but the coolest response I got was from Brett Huffman (#87). One of his friends had pointed out his painting on Facebook to him a couple of weeks ago, and he let me know he thought it was great. Sometime this weekend he got to see the print I sent to Coach Cut, and he wrote this on my wall.
    "Hey Chris... i saw the actual painting you sent in to the football office... i didnt think it could get any cooler from the pic online... but the painting in person was absolutely unbelievable! every detail was so exact down to the scratches on my helmet or the bracelet i wear under my gloves it was unreal! hopefully i can somehow get one to frame in my house someday! best of luck in the art show! let me know how it goes"
    If the NCAA didn't frown on players getting gifts, I would have sent him one as well...that comment made my day.